atheist spirituality

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Twizelby
Diet: Vegan

atheist spirituality

Post by Twizelby »

Do you find anything valuable about religion? I meditate sometimes to calm down and sometimes it helps me solve problems. Is there anything that you do that could be misunderstood as religious?
Volenta
Master in Training

Re: atheist spirituality

Post by Volenta »

Twizelby wrote:Is there anything that you do that could be misunderstood as religious?
I'm vegan. :roll: But it is true, this personal commitment/motivation of mine to live ethically can be seen as religious motives. But there aren't many Jains around here, so I suspect nobody sees them as something religious (surely not if I explain them).

I also sometimes meditate, and actually want to do it on a more regular basis (something like 10 min. everyday). I wouldn't do it if it weren't for the science, but it does have some religious connotations.

I think eastern religion (Buddhism in particular) do sometimes have something useful to tell, as long as you explore it with a skeptical mind. Unlike the Abrahamic religions, which seem to be completely wrong on pretty much everything.

And surely veganism, meditation, my concerns for the climate and my openness to psychedelic drugs—even though I haven't used them—together really seems like I'm sort of hippie for ignorant outsiders.
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

I like to say thank god a lot. I should stop that.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
Volenta
Master in Training

Post by Volenta »

miniboes wrote:I like to say thank god a lot. I should stop that.
There isn't any good alternative for it in Dutch either... In English you can replace 'God' with 'Goodness'.
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

Volenta wrote:
miniboes wrote:I like to say thank god a lot. I should stop that.
There isn't any good alternative for it in Dutch either... In English you can replace 'God' with 'Goodness'.
I've been throwing in goofy things like 'Thank science for gopros!' and 'Thank evolution for trees!'. Not very sustainable.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum