unexcpected vegan or non vegan

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Twizelby
Diet: Vegan

unexcpected vegan or non vegan

Post by Twizelby »

What products have you come across that have surprised you as being vegan or not vegan?
Oreos-Vegan
Ritz-vegan
lemon curd-not vegan
etc...
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Re: unexcpected vegan or non vegan

Post by miniboes »

many pill-like things have lactose as a filler thing, like supplements and Stevia tablets. This suprised me, but it might be common knowledge. Many mock meats use egg protein.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
Soycrates

Post by Soycrates »

Any "non-dairy" food product that actually contains dairy (in the form of whey or casein, usually).

I mean, c'mon! "Non" doesn't mean "Just a little"!
Twizelby

Post by Twizelby »

Soycrates wrote:Any "non-dairy" food product that actually contains dairy (in the form of whey or casein, usually).

I mean, c'mon! "Non" doesn't mean "Just a little"!
That one pissed me off the first time I ate a cheese I thought was vegan then read the label. :evil:
Volenta
Master in Training

Post by Volenta »

I had 2 bottles of vitamin C, and read that it was suited for vegetarians and vegans. So later that day I took some of them, just so I could discover that the bottle I used was an older version which actually had lactose in it (like lots of vitamins and pills have).

Taking the vitamin C at all now seems to be pretty unnecessary. I always thought it helped against the common cold, but research seems to suggest it doesn't really do much if any (maybe placebo).

Edit:
I also discovered that some cheap brand produces (probably by accident) vegan chocolate spread with black and white colors. Don't know how they get this white color, but it doesn't contain milk.