Nutritional Issues with vegan substitute products

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
carnap
Anti-Vegan Troll

Nutritional Issues with vegan substitute products

Post by carnap »

Continuation of conversation started in: http://philosophicalvegan.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3862
Lay Vegan wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:05 pm Why do you think junk food exists? It doesn't adequately provide nutrients but it is palatable, which is why people continue to eat it. The same can be said for most vegan substitutes, like faux meats and faux cheeses. Although most vegan substitutes (like plant milks) can be fortified with nutrients, most the nutrition comes from other sources. You should concede that and stop trying to beat a dead horse for the sake of argument.
Why people eat junk food has little to do with my point, the issue here is that you're replacing a regular food with good nutritional value with a junk food. Replacing non-vegan junk food with vegan junk food wouldn't have the same issue, in both cases the nutritional value is poor.

Dairy is an important component in the western diet, its not just some arbitrary food item that you can replace or omitted however you wish. The problem with mock dairy is that they masquerade as dairy products but typically have much different nutritional value (or are just junk food in the case of Daiya). The average person doesn't analyze the nutrient content of their diet but rather they achieve a balanced diet by following the dietary practices of their culture.

Lay Vegan wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:05 pm No it is not the key issue. You keep making this issue so that you have any argument to counter me with. The key issue is to provide a cheese substitute that tastes enough like dairy cheese to stop dairy consumers from purchasing the product. Calcium and vitamin A, which cheese substitutes have lower amount of, can be obtained through other foods in the diet.
Again, the fact that you have to obtain the nutrients from other food is just the issue. Dairy plays a nutritional role in the western diet and mock dairy typically fails to achieve that same role. If people thought of vegan cheese as just another junk food there would be no issue, but that isn't what occurs. People are eating mock dairy to replace dairy in their familiar dishes, there is no reason to believe they are actively offsetting the nutrients they are missing out on.

Lay Vegan wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:05 pm Assuming that people primarily consume cheese for its calcium rather than its taste, it may be temporarily inconvenient. But it isn't an issue, provided that vegan sources of calcium, A, and D are also readily available.
See above. Also dairy is about more than calcium, but never have I suggested that dairy is some how an essential food item. Its not, but it is an important food item in some cultures diets.

carnap wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:28 am Dairy cheese doesn't provide all of the nutrients one needs, so omnivores must too go to other sources to get their nutrients. How is this any different from vegans? Vegans often seek out cheese substitutes because they enhance the flavor of our food, yet must go to other sources, like leafy greens, fortified foods, or a supplement to meet their nutrient requirements.
Dairy doesn't provide all the nutrients one needs, but it does supply key nutrients in some cultures' diets. The fact that you can get calcium, etc from other foods isn't in dispute, what I'm discussing is the role foods play in people's diets and how mock foods can subvert those roles by tricking people.
I'm here to exploit you schmucks into demonstrating the blatant anti-intellectualism in the vegan community and the reality of veganism. But I can do that with any user name.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: Nutritional Issues with vegan substitute products

Post by brimstoneSalad »

I mostly agree with Carnap here.

The average person can be kind of ignorant of nutrition (if they learn a little bit and understand the differences that's another thing), and in practice public education is hard.

I think these vegan replacements should be regulated by law to HAVE TO contain certain nutrients which we might expect people to be low on without adding them given the context they're used in. This would help a lot with nutritional issues and failure on vegan diets, because it would make the whole transition more fool proof.

It would be a lot easier to convince somebody to go vegan without also having to worry about teaching nutrition 101 to help prevent recidivism.