Daughter and I mended our relationship.

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: Daughter and I mended our relationship.

Post by brimstoneSalad »

deadeye68 wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:39 am i'm done mr. "philosophical" vegan is anything but that. My daughter is telling her vegan friend to avoid this echo chamber.
They and you are all welcome here. This is obviously not an echo chamber, you don't seem to know what that means. This is a mostly free speech zone, as you can see by the active meat-eaters here and ample vigorous debate. If you can't handle people disagreeing with you on the internet, then you don't belong on the internet.

Like I said, we'd be glad to have your perspective here, but you're acting like a child.
I apologized, but you can't move on. As I see it, that's your choice.
deadeye68 wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:39 amBecause that is all she sees and I am starting to agree with her.
Then she doesn't know what an echo chamber is either. I don't know what to tell you, you're both just wrong.

Either way, you're all welcome here.
deadeye68 wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:39 amSo enjoy that brimstone has hurt the message he wishes to convey.
No, your daughter hurt the message.

First by following your example and cutting off contact with people she disagrees with (To me, based on your behavior here this is clearly something you taught her), then by being irresponsible and following a carelessly planned diet that was not nutritionally adequate which caused her doctor to recommend animal products, then by rationalizing her new diet (cognitive dissonance) by abandoning her moral beliefs and deciding that animals don't really matter that much after all and morality is subjective :roll: .
It seems obvious to me that she's siding with her father here and reacting against veganism because of her own failures. Don't worry, she'll probably be eating hamburgers in no time. This is typical, unfortuantely.

This is why it's so important to set new vegans up with basic knowledge in nutrition so they don't make the same mistakes your daughter made. Nutritional failure leads to cognitive dissonance. In that sense, the ultimate failure rests on the person who convinced her to go vegan without conveying to her basic nutritional principles.

If neither you nor she are open minded enough to engage in discussion, you're lost causes. The proper time to engage with her would be before she had her health scare. Nothing after that is going to be very effective, because she's probably pretty closed minded now from the experience.

If I walked on egg shells and treated you with the kid gloves you want to be treated with would that have helped? Maybe, but probably not. Something would have pissed you off and made you throw a tantrum; if it wasn't me, it'd be something another user said, and the only way to prevent that would be to ban anybody who ever says anything to disagree with you and form a special echo chamber around deadeye68.

If you are open minded and you can have a little thicker skin, then you're still 100% welcome here. You're welcome to discuss unrelated topics, you're welcome to discuss veganism or hunting, and you're welcome to disagree with me. You're also welcome to continue being rude. But I'm also welcome to disagree with you. See how free speech works? If you don't like it, an echo chamber is what you want.

EDIT:
I'm going to go ahead and lock this dumpster-fire of a thread so it can die unless anybody objects.
Deadeye68, you're still welcome here as I said, but if you're going to be a special little snowflake who can't tolerate people disagreeing with him, the heated debates on this forum are probably not for you.