Daughter and I mended our relationship.

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
deadeye68
Diet: Meat-Eater

Re: Daughter and I mended our relationship.

Post by deadeye68 »

Well I'm glad she is listening to licensed drs and professionals. I stated she wen't to multiple ones and they were all on the same page. I trust her and she says she feels much better so thats what matters to me. She's healthy and happy. I'm going to disagree on the free range claim sorry. Maybe I lucked out but a few miles away there's a small free range farm that sells eggs and meat to small butcher blocks. He is pretty much my neighbor and I'm there fairly often the animals are definitely not " suffering". But maybe this is a rare case. Again I hunt my meat but I do get eggs from him once in a blue moon. Having been on the property many a time all the animals seem content,clean and well cared for. I wouldn't clump him into the people you are talking of.
deadeye68

Post by deadeye68 »

But who knows maybe you have been on many free ranges farms and have seen awful things. Maybe I just lucked out to know someone that runs a good one. Question I want to make a post about modern film would I put it in the fun form or the other forum??
Jamie in Chile
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by Jamie in Chile »

It's great that she feels a lot better and has mended her relationship with you and reduced the gap between you and her on ethical matters quite a lot. It couldn't have worked out much better, could it?

I suggest you get all your eggs from that place, it is probably better than the larger commercial operations, which is more what I was talking about.

If your film thread is light and not philospophical, maybe it belongs in the fun section.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Good to hear you patched things up.
deadeye68 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:29 pmShe took my stance on having no opinion on veganism as me somehow scoffing it off as stupid. I told her that wasn't the case.
I wonder who suggested this may be the case in the other thread, and then had that suggestion scoffed off as stupid? ;)
deadeye68 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:29 pmShe was proud I shrugged off the anger/hostility I got from a member or two on this forum. She said she had some issues similar to mine with her vegan friends.
Did you shrug off anger, or did you react immaturely and defensively to honest criticism (which included, incidentally, what the actual issue was - the way you were framing the "no opinion" claims being received as dismissive and patronizing)?

We had different perspectives. I guessed right on some things and wrong on other things, we don't need to keep a tally (we can if you want).
Jamie in Chile wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:44 pm But, if you want to participate here, you need to be prepared for some robust opinions and not get offended.
Correct.

Deadeye68, you are 100% welcome here, and your perspective is actually appreciated. We don't want an echo chamber. But we also don't want a place we have to walk on eggshells and worry about people harboring grudges and persecution complexes.

It's understandable that some subjects are sensitive and tempers can get hot here (we've had some dumpster fires on intersectionality and racism in particular), but you need to learn to be mature enough to move on and leave past disagreements in the threads they originated in if you want respect.
If you act like a child who holds grudges and throws a tantrum anytime somebody criticizes him, you'll be treated accordingly.

This is not a "safe space" for vegans or non-vegans to avoid criticism, it's a place for discussion.

I already apologized if I worded anything too harshly in the other thread, you can choose to apologize or not for your behavior (depending on how mature you want to be about this).
Either way this "feud", or whatever it is, is crushed right now if you want it to be; all you have to do is stop sniping about it.

Deal?

I'm going to link this thread from the other if it hasn't already been so people who come upon it can follow the conclusion.
deadeye68

Post by deadeye68 »

Brimstone- I'd rather continue not to engage with you if I'm being honest. This is pretty much my last post in regards to veganism. Unless something comes up with my daughter and I seek advice. But I'll probably just message those who were very welcoming as opposed to making another thread.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Good day.
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Post by PsYcHo »

deadeye68 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:00 pm Brimstone- I'd rather continue not to engage with you if I'm being honest. This is pretty much my last post in regards to veganism.
Even before I read your latest post, I was going to suggest if you aren't comfortable debating Veganism, there are other options on this forum. Brimstone and I have gotten in many, many arguments, but never once has brimstone ever brought an argument from one topic into another. I recall having two different topics going at the same time, and in one brim and I were both arguing half-page long heated arguments. In the other, we were calmly discussing something in the "fun" section. It's the same with other members as well.

I'd still like to hear your response to my thread. (And if I disagree, it stays in that thread ;) )
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.
deadeye68

Post by deadeye68 »

I never said I was not comfortable debating veganism. I simply have no opinion on it so theres no point to debate it. I just rather not engage with this individual.
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Post by PsYcHo »

deadeye68 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:50 pm I just rather not engage with this individual.
Then feel free to respond to other people's topics that brimstone isn't a part of. But I would urge you to not go out of your way to avoid brimstone. Hell, we hardly ever agree on many topics. But how boring would it be here if we all got along? Additionally, brim may have seemed aggressive with you on certain topics (I haven't read them, but I'm familiar with brimstoneSalad), but I guarantee brim can also be extremely helpful and knowledgeable, especially if you ask for advice.

Let bygones be bygones, and jump into some other discussions. I'd like to have someone who isn't a Vegan provide some insight into discussions not concerning Veganism, or conversely, arguing with Vegans on certain topics. ;)
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.
inator
Diet: Vegan

Post by inator »

deadeye68 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:50 pm I never said I was not comfortable debating veganism. I simply have no opinion on it so theres no point to debate it.
You asked a general question about our personal experiences in the other thread, so here is mine.

You see, when you have no opinion on an issue that a loved one finds extremely important, or even claim that it's a non-issue, it will probably alienate that person even more than telling them their belief is wrong. You are not even considering their argument. You are making the issue look so unimportant that you can't even spare a thought on it. My father does something like that - he gladly cooks me vegan dishes when I'm visiting, and he will nod when I talk about anything having to do with ethics, but he will never engage me in a conversation about it. I respect other people who ask me about it and actively try to counteract my arguments much more than this lack of intellectual curiosity from my dad. I love him, but yes, I have lost some respect for him because of it.

As for your own experience, I'm glad everything is alright now and your relationship is mended. It's apparent that this is pure chance. If she hadn't had those health problems and changed her position, and assuming you didn't change your attitude towards her, things may have turned out differently.
deadeye68 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:50 pmIf you don't have anything nice to say perhaps say nothing at all. And you walk through life meeting all sorts of people you may not agree with. You don't need to agree with them, you don't even need to really respect them but, you should at least feint tolerance.
Sure, I may not want to engage in philosophical debate with the baker down the street, and superficial politeness has a certain function in these minimal social interactions. But I'd find it impossible to maintain a deep personal relationship without having conversations of substance. Smiling and nodding instead of analyzing the pros and the cons of another person's arguments shows that you're not taking them seriously. Perhaps this will come up again in your life in some form, and I hope you will show enough interest in the outside world to at least engage your loved ones in meaningful conversation as equals.
deadeye68

Post by deadeye68 »

ok then..