Boiled Peanuts

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Boiled Peanuts

Post by PsYcHo »

Boiled Peanuts are a traditionally southern US food, and they usually fall into the love it/hate it category, but they are Vegan.

I'm curious whether any members have tried them, and if so what did you think? (If you haven't tried them, you should. Unless you have a peanut allergy, then maybe not..)
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: Boiled Peanuts

Post by brimstoneSalad »

I neither love them nor hate them. :twisted:
But when I first had them, I didn't know they were peanuts (they were not in shell); if I had known it might have influenced my view of them.

I suppose it depends on how they're seasoned. How do you make them?
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum

Post by PsYcHo »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:34 pm I suppose it depends on how they're seasoned. How do you make them?
Seasoning is key, as is the amount of time you boil them. I used to make them by finding someone selling them (on the side of the road, or at a flea market) and eating them. ;)

Now, I have to buy them canned (pre-boiled, but not ready for consumption for a connoisseur), add cajun spices and hot sauce, and simmer for hours on low heat until they are almost soft to the touch.

The best ones I have eaten were from Georgia, and they were "Cajun" style. The brine was orange, and the heat from them made my eyes water, but the flavor was like nothing I have had before or since. (I actually have some going now to try and recreate, but I don't have enough spices.)

Taxation is theft.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

That sounds pretty good.

You can stretch spices a lot by using less water, you just have to cook at a lower heat so the bottom doesn't burn since you can't get a rolling boil.
A crock pot could be very helpful in that, actually.
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum

Post by PsYcHo »

I've been wondering why, considering their texture/low cost/ and availability, there aren't any(that I could find) peanut based mock meats. When boiled properly, they have an almost meat like flavor and consistency.

Taxation is theft.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Probably due to allergies and high fat content (rather than the high protein content people usually want from mock meats). I know there have been some peanut-protein based mock meats like TVP, although I don't know if there are any on the market.
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum

Post by PsYcHo »

I'd think the high fat content would be a plus, since most Vegan diets don't contain much fat. A small amount is beneficial. Plus for people looking for a more ethical mock meat, without being necessarily concerned about being super healthy, I think the flavor would be a plus. I have a surplus of peanuts now, maybe I'll try toying with a recipe.

Taxation is theft.
Sapphire Lightning

Post by Sapphire Lightning »

How would you get the peanut protein to bind and form a single mass? I am curious, as it would be interesting to make a homemade cashew mock meat. For now I guess I will have to stick to seitan :)
Carnist: Kills animals and then takes from their bodies
Vegetarian: Takes from animals' bodies, and then kills them when they are no longer profitable
Vegan: Avoids unnecessary harm to animals as much as is possible and practicable
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

It's done using peanut flour, much like soy flour in making TVP, but it requires steam extrusion.

You can make tempeh with nuts though. Boiled peanuts would probably work well (or boiled cashews).
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum

Post by PsYcHo »

Sapphire Lightning wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:17 am How would you get the peanut protein to bind and form a single mass?
I'm considering using a powdered base (flour/cornstarch/gluten?) and pressure to keep the "meat" together. Since I'm not looking for a healthy alternative, it would be deep fried or pan fried, depending on how well it holds up. It could conceivable make a decent fried "burger" type meat, or alternatively a crumbled replacement for hamburger. It could make a decent potato casserole type dish even if it fell apart.
Sapphire Lightning wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:17 am I am curious, as it would be interesting to make a homemade cashew mock meat.
I looove cashews, but to me they are a sweet legume. (I don't eat many sweets..) Maybe pressing them thin and seasoning with savory herbs would work. I think they'd need high heat to crisp them a bit.

(separate note related to OP, buy boiled green peanuts (small can) add 1 tsp chili powder, 1/2 tbsp cayenne, 2 tsp oregano, 2 tbsp red pepper flakes/or less depending on your spice preference, bring to boil on high for two minutes, reduce heat to med-low, simmer three hours. Perfect cajun style boiled peanuts.)

Taxation is theft.