vegans and antropomorphism

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
bigbossomni
Diet: Meat-Eater

vegans and antropomorphism

Post by bigbossomni »

Take it nobody will look at this since it's apparent I'm hated within this forum but I'll try anyways. Why do vegans love to throw traits on animals we eat that are incapable of feeling such traits? Yes most livestock we eat are sentient they are aware they are alive but they aren't sapient. Which is funny because vegans claim just being sentient is most important. The livestock we eat aren't capable of abstract though or anything beyond their basic drives to eat and breed. So again i ask what authority are vegans to tell others what is right or wrong? Because ethically everything vegans claim is emotionally based opinions. Not facts
McLovin

Re: vegans and antropomorphism

Post by McLovin »

Instead of making a new thread, I will use this one to ask questions about similar subject.
Mostly, when i talk with vegans, they say how sentience is what gives moral value to organisms, and reason for that is because with sentience an organism can experience pain (and something more about pain), but isn't that using an "is", to get to an "ought"?
My second question would be....if sentience (or ability to feel pain) is all what matters, then how come degree of sentience has any relevance?
Third question would be...Some vegans speak of harm, but when they say that they actually mean pain, but that is not the only way an organism can be harmed, so why just pain and not all other typed of harm?
Jebus
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Post by Jebus »

bigbossomni wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:14 pmwhat authority are vegans to tell others what is right or wrong? Because ethically everything vegans claim is emotionally based opinions. Not facts
What if you caught a child molester messing around with one of your kids? What authority would you have to decide if what he did was right or wrong?
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
bigbossomni

Post by bigbossomni »

again jebus comparing a human issue to animals why dont you just admit you hate non vegans
bigbossomni

Post by bigbossomni »

jebus you think your emotional based opinions are facts which they arent
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

bigbossomni wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:31 pm jebus you think your emotional based opinions are facts which they arent
Have you read the forum rules? You are in violation of the very first rule: "This is a discussion forum. Please come here willing to discuss. This isn't a place to lecture, and then refuse to address others' rational arguments or even answer others' questions. Discussion is founded upon logic, if you don't accept basic logic as valid, there's really nothing for you to do here except lecture, and this isn't the place for it. Again: This is a discussion forum."

I have asked you many simple questions and every time you refuse to answer or admit that you don't know the answer.

Consider this your first and final warning.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
bigbossomni

Post by bigbossomni »

so jebus which dogmatic vegan youtuber are you? This is not a discussion this seems like an echo chamber. you've had it out for every meat eater in the forum. you aren't capable of hearing opposing opinions. Ohhhh a threat im shaking kid
meganisoptera

Post by meganisoptera »

I think anthropomorphism is something most humans do in some aspect or another to nonhuman animals. So, it's not surprising that some vegans may as well. But, what "traits" are you talking about exactly?
bigbossomni

Post by bigbossomni »

vegans love to equate sentience to sapience which is a bold face lie
meganisoptera

Post by meganisoptera »

In my experience, the majority focus on sentience, and the ability to feel pain as you mentioned. What are the major points of your argument aside from some vegans pushing sapience rather than sentience? Are humans justified in inflicting pain on other animals because they aren't sapient? And, if so, why?