Eating non-vegan food that’s going to waste

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
sykkelmannen
Diet: Freegan

Re: Eating non-vegan food that’s going to waste

Post by sykkelmannen »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:55 pm It might be better to give them another chance this time and take it to go to give away, then they at least know they'll get paid today (if they can get it right). It might make them more likely to accept giving you the mess-up for free.
Agree. Just that pain of giving away that food, looking for an unsuspecting hungry mouth :)
brimstoneSalad wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:55 pm What would you do if they said you have to pay for it if you eat it/take it?
Would you take it anyway and just not pay for it?
I would have to let them trash it and quietly hope someone will eat it in the end (workers have to eat too, and often they are allowed to eat leftovers or even take them home). It's the same thing you already talked about happening in the family circle. All that a family member cares about is that you eat. All a restaurant cares about is that you pay. You must refuse in both cases to prevent the situation from repeating.

How exactly would I go about taking it without payment if they won't let me?
Let me give it a thought. Usually you pay after you eat, so it is technically possible to eat it. What's the consequences of a free lunch in case you decide against shamelessly legging it? "I want to speak to the manager. I conscientiously object to paying for this luncheon" That could result in a funny moment :) However this is a highly abstract speculation in my case as I would never even go there in the first place. And grossly OT too, apologies :) Let's not develop this any further.