Adventures in trying to convert a cattle ranch

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Dsalles
Diet: Vegetarian

Adventures in trying to convert a cattle ranch

Post by Dsalles »

Since Brimstonesalad suggested it I am starting a thread on my adventures in the meat trade.

Some people say that a well-run meat business should ideally be humane, because happier animals mean better meat. That the animals and the profiter have common interests, in having or being healthy animals. But there are also conflicting interests. When a person makes money from an animal, the person and profit always win. So, if an animal is suffering an injury or illness, the cost-benefit analysis states that if treatment or prevention costs more than the value that animal can bring as a carcass, then the animal is sacrificed. Also, if the method of sacrificing the animal is costly, then the animal is left to die on its own, however many days exposed to harsh elements it takes, unable to move or drink or eat.
On the one hand, people say raising animals is great if you love animals. On the other, when you express distress over normal outcomes, such as selling them to the trucks, they say, well that is all part of the business, you have to get used to it. My Stepfather who incompetent though he may be, was appointed administrator by my mother upon her death, pretends to feel warmly toward the cattle, says how sweet and nice they are. But he does not give them any extra care when things go wrong, acting like becoming callous to real suffering is some sort of conforming to a mysterious truth, as though there were something noble about accepting death and suffering. Sorry but that is all I can put in words for now, I am traveling but will post actual events and experiences soon.
sykkelmannen
Diet: Freegan

Re: Adventures in trying to convert a cattle ranch

Post by sykkelmannen »

Looking forward to updates, this conversion sounds really exciting :) all the best!
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Thanks Dsalles, that's a great point about disease. I think people idealize it and forget things can go wrong... and very expensively wrong.
Interested to hear your personal experiences soon. Have a safe trip!
Dsalles

Post by Dsalles »

My brothers made a judge put a stop on my work developing a part of the farm myself. I am preparing to show up in court.
Dsalles

Post by Dsalles »

I am revonating a small house and fencing off 3 hectares, and already drilled a well.
They said I couldnt do anything without their permission.
I started anyway. The farm is 660 hectares. They said my fencing off 3 hectares was depriving them of pasture. And they called my renovation a demolition. The house was abandoned since the eighties. I was restoring it with a few changes (such as the addition of an interior bathroom) There are four other, bigger, fixed up, painted, houses that are in use now, two of them as residences by cow handlers, and one by my brothers when they visit.
Dsalles

Post by Dsalles »

My brothers rep made an offer, with a map, for me to separate from the rest of the farm and I accepted it. Then they changed their minds.
Dsalles

Post by Dsalles »

I think we have an actual agreement now, and as soon as everyone signs it I can take control of a part of the farm just for me.

Then the problem becomes what to do with the land.

Also there is a neighbor renting a small part of it for 50 head of cattle. I dont know if I should end the lease with him, because he has been a strong ally since I got here. It is super easy to lease land to cattle people.

It is hard, when struggling to gain control of something, to remember my mission. Especially when I am so isolated.

I need to connect with other vegans here.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Sounds like a nightmare. Is it a fair deal that you got considering the value of the other homes, etc.?

The neighbor is quite a dilemma. Will he be put out without being able to lease that land? I don't know if you've discussed your plans for the land with him.
Dsalles

Post by Dsalles »

Yes Ithink the deal was fair. They will pay me my share of the value of the houses.

I have told the neighbor that I dont like raising cattle because I am a vegetarian.
It becomes a live-and-let-live situation, which I dont always believe in.

I mean I dont always agree with live-and-let-live.

For instance, one of my two brothers is a vegetarian. Yet he says he has no problem at all raising cattle, because, in his words, he does not want to tell people what to do. Of course, he does not do much at all, living in another country and all, but thats another story. His position strikes me as the height of hypocrisy. Why be a vegetarian at all? Truth is, it is not that hard since our parents raised us raised pescatarian.

It is a tricky thing, deciding when you have to live with it and when it is time to advance a just cause. Keeping an eye on the ends we want here. Sometimes I do it, I collude, but I rather call it poker face than something noble like letting others choose, because once all bets are in, I really want to end all animal killing, I do not believe in to each his own, I only do act that way in order to gain more for my side in the end.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Dsalles wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:42 am I have told the neighbor that I dont like raising cattle because I am a vegetarian.
Sounds fair, as long as they know about it so it's not a surprise of something they aren't expecting.

Totally understand your approach. "Live and let live" is a bit deceptive, it's more "live and let kill" since they aren't letting animals live. People talk a lot about personal choice, but don't think it's important to give that to other sentient beings.