Question: How to deal with Spider and Spider's Web inside house in a vegan manner?

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
catmanmugdho
Diet: Vegan

Question: How to deal with Spider and Spider's Web inside house in a vegan manner?

Post by catmanmugdho »

Hello,
I am being vegan for almost a year now. I try to make sure i will remain compassionate to other living beings including insects. But currently, i am having issue with spider's web. Most of our rooms are seeming extremely dirty because of it. Some web even contains old leafs and dead other insects on it. I don't know what to do. Specially when it is home of spider. Also i don't want to kill spiders, as they too desire to live a natural life. In there any vegan method that can be helpful. Thanks in Advance.

Also, I live in a developing countries, so many tools that can be found on amazon, ebay etc is unreachable or extremely costly for me. I need a DIY solution.
Lay Vegan

Re: Question: How to deal with Spider and Spider's Web inside house in a vegan manner?

Post by Lay Vegan »

I catch and release unless there is a legitimate infestation, or if the insects are harmful to me or my home, (as is the case with mosquitos, termites, bed bugs, roaches, poisonous spiders, fire ants, etc.

Your well-being is more important than that of a beg bug. Any honest and consistent vegan would respect a spectrum of sentience in animals. You have far more interests than that of a spider, and a far greater capacity to suffer or be benefited.

You can still live in a clean and sanitary home while being a compassionate vegan. If you see spider webs with debris and leaves, by all means, clean them up! lol The spider will just make home elsewhere. If you can't bring yourself to pick up spiders and remove them because of the ick factor, this wiki has some great tips for you, including trapping the spider in a cup, and sliding a sheet of paper underneath the cup to capture and lift it up.

Creative ways to remove spider from your home:
https://www.wikihow.com/Get-Spiders-Out-of-Your-House-Without-Killing-Them
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: Question: How to deal with Spider and Spider's Web inside house in a vegan manner?

Post by brimstoneSalad »

I would add to that, a web which is covered in dirt/dust and leaves is probably no longer being used.
Spiders usually keep their webs clean and remove things like leaves and dirt to keep them effective (an active web may have a leaf or two on it, but usually won't be covered or dirty).

If you want to leave the spiders undisturbed, you can just leave clean webs in place, and remove old dirty webs. Old webs aren't very useful anymore. Active spiders will help keep your house clean of unwanted insects.