Experiments on Animals

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Cirion Spellbinder
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Re: Experiments on Animals

Post by Cirion Spellbinder »

I'm doing research for the "Is it vegan?" page now by harassing you (my passion)
wiki/index.php/Is_it_Vegan%3F#Animal_Ex ... d_Medicine
brimstoneSalad wrote: Tue May 12, 2015 8:32 amYou can get a sense of the statistical probability of producing something useful by looking the the methodology, and comparing the degree of certainty and robustness of the theory to other similar studies before they moved into animal models and their degrees of 'success' after the fact.
Could you direct me to an example?
brimstoneSalad wrote:In terms of cosmetics that do not introduce new active ingredients, animal testing is generally absurd, and a means only to fend off unreasonable litigation.
How do you know that?
brimstoneSalad wrote:Other experimentation should be done in vitro, and will increasingly be so thanks to organs on chips. To apply pressure in this direction, all that needs to happen (at minimum) is tighter regulation and higher expense; capitalism will solve the issue. However, it is a time sensitive issue, and such expense also comes at a cost. Government funding would be a more ethical solution, both in providing better models faster to save more human lives, and save more animals from suffering in the interim.
This article suggests that they can't replicate cellular conditions: https://mpkb.org/home/patients/assessin ... ro_studies
One of the abiding weaknesses of in vitro experiments is that they fail to replicate the precise cellular conditions of an organism, particularly a microbe. To cite one example among many, the lysates or extracts from culture-grown spirochetes do not reflect antigens expressed in the mammalian Borrelia
Do you recommend any reading on this?