Vegan activist and holocaust survivor on Reddit AMA

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Kanade
Diet: Vegan

Vegan activist and holocaust survivor on Reddit AMA

Post by Kanade »

“I am in favor of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being.”
― Abraham Lincoln
Twizelby
Diet: Vegan

Re: Vegan activist and holocaust survivor on Reddit AMA

Post by Twizelby »

I have to admit I shrink at such a comparison. I realize that it may be labeled as speciesist and probably rightfully so. I still favor human life more, end of story. I usually think of it in like this.

I have no real affection for companion animals I also have no real affection for mean people. I don't wish people to die simply because I don't care for them.

Note I do actually know animals that I love. I suppose I shrink from it because I still harbor childhood sentiments. My dad used to take me fishing and hunting and I still have a bit of that left in me. Every time I visit my dad it's hard to form the words "I don't want to do that" or "lets go golfing instead". I hate to let him down. When I think of the holocaust there is no debate that it was deplorable.

I suppose that I understand intellectually that the treatment of animals is just as bad and in many cases worse, but culturally I don't think I am ready for the comparison.