Is it better to focus sterilization campaigns on female dogs rather than males?

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Jebus
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Is it better to focus sterilization campaigns on female dogs rather than males?

Post by Jebus »

If one has limited time and funding and want to undertake a sterilization effort for homeless dogs, wouldn't it make sense to focus on the female dogs rather than the males. Apart from the misery of the horny male dogs who will have difficulty finding coitus opportunities, are there any other downsides to this strategy?
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
AKiry
Diet: Reducetarian

Re: Is it better to focus sterilization campaigns on female dogs rather than males?

Post by AKiry »

Unless you are also worried about the potential aggressiveness of unsterilised males, then I don't see why not. Of course, you could also focus on male sterilisation since it is an easier and less expensive procedure and so may be more effective based on this.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: Is it better to focus sterilization campaigns on female dogs rather than males?

Post by brimstoneSalad »

AKiry wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:58 pm Of course, you could also focus on male sterilisation since it is an easier and less expensive procedure and so may be more effective based on this.
This.

Males are so much easier to sterilize that it tips the scale (as simple as an injection into the testicles). The trouble is that if you miss one, that male can impregnate a huge number of females.

Females can be given birth control, but that's an ongoing expense and it's hard to dose them. It's good for population reduction, though, and may get you down to numbers you can manage after a generation or two.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

Should I conclude that gender is irrelevant when it comes to sterilization. One is more important while the other is easier/cheaper/quicker.

The vets we see have always charged us the same amount for sterilization, regardless if it is a male or a female.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Jebus wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:28 pm Should I conclude that gender is irrelevant when it comes to sterilization. One is more important while the other is easier/cheaper/quicker.

The vets we see have always charged us the same amount for sterilization, regardless if it is a male or a female.
I would say yes to the first question. There's no clear advantage since one is more essential to reproduction while the other is cheaper and easier.

But if the vets are charging the same (that's pretty silly), then I'd opt to sterilize the females rather than the males. Although the females do take longer to recover.
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Post by PsYcHo »

I wonder if for the cost of sterilization, it would be cheaper to house the females in a shelter.

I'm considering the cost of persons to first capture the homeless females/males, house and feed them, pay a professional to perform surgery on them, and then let them go back into the wild. (From which they spent so much time and money capturing them.) And how often would the same homeless dogs end up in the same shelter being screened for sterilization?
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

PsYcHo wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:13 am I wonder if for the cost of sterilization, it would be cheaper to house the females in a shelter.

I'm considering the cost of persons to first capture the homeless females/males, house and feed them, pay a professional to perform surgery on them, and then let them go back into the wild. (From which they spent so much time and money capturing them.) And how often would the same homeless dogs end up in the same shelter being screened for sterilization?
In most countries with a dog overpopulation problem, a dog has a very small chance of ending up in a shelter. If the shelters are full and no one is available to adopt the dogs, the best option is to sterilize and release.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Might make sense to have a fenced in sanctuary area or an island or something. The trick would be getting enough food for them for a lifetime, and veterinary care if we take on those obligations... it would be expensive to do for 8-15 years or so.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

My country has an estimated 250000 homeless dogs (on only 2000 square kilometers). Sanctuaries are great for the lucky ones who end up there, but this does little to solve the problem.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Jebus wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:49 pm My country has an estimated 250000 homeless dogs (on only 2000 square kilometers). Sanctuaries are great for the lucky ones who end up there, but this does little to solve the problem.
It will probably be necessary to engage in a massive campaign to fix the problem, and it has to be done all at once (not slowly over time) to really solve it.
But it MUST be accompanied by legislation forbidding sale of unsterilized dogs, and forbidding the import of unsterilized dogs, otherwise it may just happen again.
Ideally, also registration of owned dogs, and mandating that all dogs be sterilized.

You could sterilize nearly all of the males pretty easily with maybe a one to ten million or so budget. They'd need a lot of temporary fencing, and a small army of vets to perform testicular injections.

You might have to have an army of beurocrats go door to door to register dogs. Ultimately the population will just be renewed by domestic animals if they aren't all sterilized, since the problem probably stems from irresponsible owners.

If it's not possible to stir up the political will and funds to really solve the problem, it may be best to focus on other things.