Why is it so difficult to get numbers of vegans in the world?

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
bigbossomni
Diet: Meat-Eater

Re: Why is it so difficult to get numbers of vegans in the world?

Post by bigbossomni »

is there a way to block you jebus? I'm tired of seeing your narcissistic posts
Jebus
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Post by Jebus »

carnap wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:49 pm
Jebus wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:13 pm What do you mean by vegans? All vegans? Some vegans? A majority of vegans? How would you even know?
By that I mean its a common theme with vegans.

How did you come to that conclusion? How many conversations have you had with vegans about their perception of vegan recidivism.
carnap wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:49 pmThough I'm not sure how you tell if someone is "fully committed" that seems to me to lead to excuse the data by creating a no true scotsman fallacy.

I have no benefit from either outcome. I am simply curious about the true number. Whether or not someone had planned to remain vegan for life or just did it to please his ex-girlfriend while they were together is a very valid question.
carnap wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:49 pmThe failure rate in the study was highest within the few months but people continued to drop out even after years.

I missed this but I am assuming that the vegetarians had a much higher recidivism rate than vegans. Did the study do the time breakdown for both groups or was this lumped together? It seems to me that the sample size would be too small to have any significant timeline results.
carnap wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:49 pmAnd "vegan" isn't a popular label and, in fact, the general public doesn't have a high opinion of "vegans":

We all know what the public thinks of vegans. I suggested that "ex-vegan" was a popular self identification label.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Post by brimstoneSalad »

carnap wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:59 pm He got the figure a bit wrong by conflating vegetarian and vegan, the figure for vegans is 70%:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/animals-and-us/201412/84-vegetarians-and-vegans-return-meat-why

So the success rate is 30% which is still low. But he is right, vegans "write off" the low success rate.
One of the problems is lack of support.

There's too much focus on getting people to go vegan, but when a vegan has trouble and wants to get help, at least historically, there has been very little in the way of support. We need more balance between conversion and support, since it should be much easier to keep somebody vegan than to convince somebody to go vegan.

I've even seen vegans be hostile to somebody who was having trouble and slipping up, or having doubts. That's very bad advice for retention. We need to tell them they're doing great, and that it's OK to mess up sometimes and keep trying, and we need to address doubts seriously and not assume they're just being negative intentionally.

I'm surprised recidivism isn't higher than that given the hostile environment to doubt that has persisted for so long. It pushes people away when they have questions (usually nutritional ones, e.g. there's an unfortunate tendency for vegans to overload on carbs), and it's not that hard to answer 99% of them.
carnap
Anti-Vegan Troll

Post by carnap »

Jebus wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:13 pm How did you come to that conclusion? How many conversations have you had with vegans about their perception of vegan recidivism.
I've had numerous conversations with vegans over the years...the comment is just a statement of my personal observation.
Jebus wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:13 pm I have no benefit from either outcome. I am simply curious about the true number. Whether or not someone had planned to remain vegan for life or just did it to please his ex-girlfriend while they were together is a very valid question.
The study tracked why people stopped and why the started the shift....so the study already contains the "true number".

And I'm not sure if they separated out the longevity information by vegetarian vs vegan, you can see the more detailed findings here:

https://faunalytics.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Faunalytics-Study-of-Current-and-Former-Vegetarians-and-Vegans-%E2%80%93-Secondary-Findings-.pdf

carnap wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:49 pm We all know what the public thinks of vegans. I suggested that "ex-vegan" was a popular self identification label.
Why would ex-vegan be a popular label if "vegan" isn't well regarded?