Vegan political parties

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Jebus
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Vegan political parties

Post by Jebus »

I've always had a feeling that this would happen sooner or later. I sense vegan parties will eventually replace green parties in politics.

https://www.livekindly.co/vegans-bulgaria-political-party/amp/
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: Vegan political parties

Post by brimstoneSalad »

It's pretty much impossible to be green without advocating veganism.

Unfortunately, a lot of them are still carrying the anti-nuclear torch.
ModVegan

Post by ModVegan »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:36 pm It's pretty much impossible to be green without advocating veganism.

Unfortunately, a lot of them are still carrying the anti-nuclear torch.
They're carrying a lot of torches for a number of bad ideas.

I had an email exchange with Clifton Roberts (the US Humane Party Candidate) after the US Presidential election. I'd made a video explaining why I couldn't support the party, and he was sorry that I was allowing their position on GMOs to turn me into a (somewhat) vocal opponent. But the party wasn't just negative on some GMOs - they want them banned - including insulin, which seems both preposterous and pretty much the polar opposite of "humane". In an interview on YouTube, Roberts had previously said that a vegan diet could prevent diabetes (apparently both types 1 and 2?), rendering insulin unnecessary :roll:

He did write me though, and was quite cordial, explaining that the Humane Party platform had been established before he became their candidate, so he felt it was his responsibility to champion the position - including the stance on GMOs. He did add that "they do dialogue internally" on the matter.

I don't live in the US, so I haven't really pursued discussing these issues with the Humane Party, but I think it would make sense for anyone living in a country that has a similar vegan party to write to them about their more egregious policy positions. I find it disheartening that the Green Party and animal rights parties (generally speaking) are rather anti-science. I wish I could be more supportive of these groups, but I have a hard time with ludditism, and it saddens me that many vegans want to make it central to the movement.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

ModVegan wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:44 pm But the party wasn't just negative on some GMOs - they want them banned - including insulin, which seems both preposterous and pretty much the polar opposite of "humane". In an interview on YouTube, Roberts had previously said that a vegan diet could prevent diabetes (apparently both types 1 and 2?), rendering insulin unnecessary :roll:
I remember that! That was terrible...
ModVegan wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:44 pmHe did write me though, and was quite cordial, explaining that the Humane Party platform had been established before he became their candidate, so he felt it was his responsibility to champion the position - including the stance on GMOs. He did add that "they do dialogue internally" on the matter.
Wow... that's a pretty terrible excuse for anything. It's disappointing to see him being such a typical politician, advocating for something he doesn't believe in.
ModVegan

Post by ModVegan »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:53 pm Wow... that's a pretty terrible excuse for anything. It's disappointing to see him being such a typical politician, advocating for something he doesn't believe in.
Haha, well, as a rather typical politician, he didn't actually SAY he didn't believe in it, just that he felt obligated to advocate for it. Who knows?