Vegan blood tests

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Canastenard
Diet: Vegan

Re: Vegan blood tests

Post by Canastenard »

DrDavid wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:21 pmTransferrin and TIBC (total iron binding capacity) can be indirect indicators of low iron stores. A more direct test is Ferritin. I would at minimum also check Hemoglobin, MCV (size of red blood cells - decreases in iron deficiency), and S-Iron.

Eosinophilia just means a higher than normal count of eosinophil white blood cells. There can be many different causes - from benign to serious - allergy/astma being the most common in the industrialized world. Laboratory error is also a possibility. You didn't specify your level, but I recommend you get this issue checked out. Start by retaking the test.

David (M.D.)
Here are the other iron-relevant numbers you asked for:
Ferritin: 87 ng/ml (reference 20 to 400)
Hemoglobin: 18.6 g/dl (reference 13 to 17)
MVC: 87,9 µ3 (reference 82 to 98)
Serum iron: 78 µg/100 ml (reference 65 to 175)

I'll post other iron-relevant numbers too since they're slightly above reference range:
Overall red blood cells/mm³: 5.94 million (reference 4.5 to 5.8)
Hematocrits: 52.2% (reference lower than 50%)
Mean corpuscular hemoglobin: 31.3 picog (reference 27 to 32)
Mean corpuscular hemoglobin concentration: 35.6% (reference 32 to 35)

Quick research tells me that those numbers being low is a sign of an iron deficiency, but on the contrary many of these are higher than reference range.

Edit: also while latent iron binding capacity is higher than reference range, total capacity is within, although close to the high end (382 µg/100 ml, compared to reference range which is 250 to 410)

Specific level of eosinophils is 639.
brimstoneSalad wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:43 pm
Canastenard wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:52 pmI know that vegans tend to have lower iron stores since non-heme iron's absorption tends to saturate unlike heme iron, but I'm not sure those results are normal or if it could evolve into an iron deficiency anemia if I keep my dieary habits.
The fiber in broccoli may interfere with absorption (it's good for you, but there are costs).
Lentils may be a richer source that are easier to absorb iron from (with rich vitamin C sources to go with them).
I think you've misunderstood what I meant. No I'm not using broccoli as an iron source, I use it as a vitamic C source so it can improve the absorption of non-heme iron. I eat plenty of legumes and most of the time those legumes are lentils since they're more convenient than beans, although I eat plenty of beans too. I also eat a porridge of oatmeal and soy milk (homemade, not fortified) at almost ever breakfast, and oatmeals are a good source of iron too, and I eat a fruit alongside it (preferably something really rich in vitamin C like an orange or a kiwi).

Anyway, I just called my medical office and the secretary told me that my GP has yet to be communicated the results of the blood test. I'm gonna tell more later this day.
Last edited by Canastenard on Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

I can't see recommending broccoli for vitamin C to help in iron absorption, I'd have to look into that more because there are a lot of potentially confounding substances in leafy greens.
Spinach has many phytates that bind iron, for example. I don't think it's as bad in broccoli, but it might be more neutral and not have enough excess C to help you absorb other iron.

Vitamin C sources would normally be citrus or bell peppers, or tomato sauce or something like that. Something low in other inhibiting factors, and probably sour; the acidic environment generally should help with absorption.
Jebus wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:08 am
brimstoneSalad wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:43 pmThe fiber in broccoli may interfere with absorption (it's good for you, but there are costs).
Is that viscous fiber? The only reason I put broccoli in my smoothie is that I need a vitamin C source that helps with iron absorption. Would spinach be a better option?
It's probably fine in a smoothie. The cellular structure is hard to break down unless you're really good at chewing.
A blended soup would probably be even better.

These are good questions, and I'm not sure. There hasn't been all that much study on these things AFAIK.
Canastenard

Post by Canastenard »

It's late by two days, but my GP told me to not worry about my results this Friday. He said that while some values are above or below reference range they're due to me not eating animal products, but it's still fine.
DrDavid

Post by DrDavid »

Canastenard wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:02 am It's late by two days, but my GP told me to not worry about my results this Friday. He said that while some values are above or below reference range they're due to me not eating animal products, but it's still fine.

I seriously doubt your values have anything to do with a plant-based diet. They don't point towards anything specific that I can deduce, but no signs of iron deficiency. I don't think you should accept the conclusion that this is a dietary issue. A hemoglobin of 18.6 should be investigated further.

My second opinion would be that you get a third opinion.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

DrDavid wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:08 pmMy second opinion would be that you get a third opinion.
Canestenard's GP believes the values are fine and nothing to worry about
DrDavid believes the values are fine and nothing to worry about.

What's the point of wasting money on a third opinion?
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Jebus wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:16 pm
DrDavid wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:08 pmMy second opinion would be that you get a third opinion.

I think the point was that the anomalies are not due to a vegan diet, but that there may be something else going on totally unrelated to being vegan.
If the doctor thought it was due to veganism and discounted it because of that, this may have been an oversight.
DrDavid

Post by DrDavid »

Jebus wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:16 pm

Perhaps I should have written "My second opinion would be that you get a proper second opinion."
Canastenard

Post by Canastenard »

Another thing to talk about. I saw the results of uric acid which is high, and I had no idea what it meant or what could cause it, so I ignored it. However, I've read a Wikipedia article and this immediately reminded me of that specific result in my blood test.

While visiting Wikipedia's page about single-cell protein I looked at the disadvantages section (I have the habit of looking for sections like "criticism" or "disadvantages" and reading it before anything else on a Wikipedia article) and I read that yeast is rich in nucleic acid. A consequence of that is an increase in uric acid in the plasma, which can cause health problems most notably gout. I eat nutritional yeast at most of my meals and actually managed to eat a total of 250 grams in only 9 days. And my blood test tells me that I'm at 72 mg/l of uric acid, which is just the extreme high of the reference range (which is 35 to 72).

I used to think there was no such thing as too much nooch in my plate asides from budget reasons, but apparently that's not the case: here's a relevant comment on Jack Norris' blog about uric acid levels in vegans:
About 15 years ago I read an article warning that nutritional yeast will raise uric acid levels (it’s ridiculously high in protien). I was consuming moderate amounts daily so I went and had my uric acid level taken. Sure enough, it came back high. I stopped using it for 6 weeks (this was torture because I love it on popcorn), and had my u.a. level re-checked and it came back well within normal. I still use nutritional yeast, but very sparingly and my u.a. levels remain in the high normal range. I now usually warn new vegans to take it easy on the nutritional yeast. It’s easy to go overboard if you’re suffering cheese withdrawal!
Looks like I should limit the amount yeast I get in my diet. Maybe I should not eat any for some days, then slowly reintroduce it, by limiting it to 5 grams in a meal only once a day, then eating it each at every meal again but keeping the limit at 5 grams per meal. That'll maybe prevent some health problem later due to high uric acid levels in my blood. But really yeast is something I never expected to be a potential source of health problems.

If I want to lower the amount of uric acid in my blood, how much time should I wait before reintroducing nutritional yeast (which I will eat in lower amount in the future) in my diet?
Last edited by Canastenard on Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Canastenard wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:29 pm Looks like I should limit the amount yeast I get in my diet. Maybe I should not eat any for some days, then slowly reintroduce it, by limiting it to 5 grams in a meal only once a day, then eating it each at every meal again but keeping the limit at 5 grams per meal. That'll maybe prevent some health problem later due to high uric acid levels in my blood. But really yeast is something I never expected to be a potential source of health problems.
Your numbers were in the reference range so I wouldn't worry about it too much. That's a potential issue, it's just unlikely people are going to eat that much nutritional yeast. You were at over 25 grams a day it sounds like, which is quite a bit, it's probably worth cutting back a little.

I don't think you'd need to wait very long for those levels to lower.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

https://nutritionfacts.org/topics/gout/
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.