Is too much manganese something to worry about?

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Jebus
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Is too much manganese something to worry about?

Post by Jebus »

Cronometer revealed that I am way above the recommended daily maximum of 11mg. Unfortunately, I have had difficulty tweaking my diet to go below 11mg as my diet is high in whole wheat. I did a search where i learned that no human reports of manganese overload had been reported, but then I found an article based on a new mice study which suggests that too much manganese could lead to heart failure:

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/319497.php
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: Is too much manganese something to worry about?

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Some dietary recommendations are based on little or no evidence for range, tolerable upper intake or minimum adequate intake, and only based on a value known to be safe, then guesses from there.

Such is the case with the manganese upper limit:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manganese#Dietary_recommendations
The U.S. Institute of Medicine (IOM) updated Estimated Average Requirements (EARs) and Recommended Dietary Allowances (RDAs) for minerals in 2001. For manganese there was not sufficient information to set EARs and RDAs, so needs are described as estimates for Adequate Intakes (AIs). The current AIs for manganese for women and men ages 19 and up are 1.8 and 2.3 mg/day, respectively. AI for pregnancy is 2.0 mg/day. AI for lactation is 2.6 μg/day. For children ages 1–18 years the AI increases with age from 1.2 to 2.2 mg/day for males, to 1.6 mg/day for females. As for safety, the IOM sets Tolerable upper intake levels (ULs) for vitamins and minerals when evidence is sufficient. In the case of manganese the adult UL is set at 11 mg/day. Collectively the EARs, RDAs, AIs and ULs are referred to as Dietary Reference Intakes (DRIs)[58] Manganese deficiency is rare.[59]

The European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) refers to the collective set of information as Dietary Reference Values, with Population Reference Intake (PRI) instead of RDA, and Average Requirement instead of EAR. AI and UL defined the same as in United States. For people ages 15 and older the AI is set at 3.0 mg/day. AIs for pregnancy and lactation is 3.0 mg/day. For children ages 1–14 years the AIs increase with age from 0.5 to 2.0 mg/day. The adult AIs are higher than the U.S. RDAs.[60] The EFSA reviewed the same safety question and decided that there was insufficient information to set a UL.[61]
Jack Norris has an article on it at veganhealth:
http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/manganese

Basically, he says it's possible if you're low on iron, but there don't seem to be any cases of it.