Great comments on new #namethetrait video

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Margaret Hayek
Diet: Vegan

Re: Great comments on new #namethetrait video

Post by Margaret Hayek »

From the section on logical validity in the wiki:
=== Logical Validity ===
Validity and invalidity for logical arguments are defined as follows: <br>

*'''Valid''': No possible case has the premises all true and the conclusion false
*'''Invalid''': Some possible case has the premises all true and the conclusion false
I'm afraid that this isn't sufficiently restrictive or explanatory. If by 'possible' you mean metaphysically possible, then, no, there can be arguments where it's metaphysically impossible for the premises to be true and the conclusion false, but the argument isn't logically valid. So for example '(P1) this cup contains water; therefore (C) This cup contains H20' is such that there is no metaphysically possible world where the premise is true and the conclusion is false, but it isn't logically valid; it has the logical form 'W(c) |- H(c)', and that simply isn't logically valid. Even if by 'possible' you mean conceptually possible, then, still, no, there can be arguments where it's conceptually impossible for the premises to be true and the conclusion false, but the argument isn't logically valid. So for example '(P1) John is a bachelor; therefore (C) John is male' is such that there is no conceptually possible world where the premise is true and the conclusion is false, but it too isn't logically valid: it has the logical form 'B(j) |- M(j)', and that simply isn't logically valid. It's only if by 'possible' you simply mean (in a narrower sense than conceptual possibility) logically possible that it's true that an argument is valid iff it's impossible for the premises to be true and the conclusion false: but then we haven't explained what narrow sense of logical possibility is.

I think that this is HIGHLY relevant to NTT, because the ethical premises in NTT may be necessarily true, and Isaac has recently tried making it valid by invoking the bundle theory and / or the identity of indiscernibles, which if true are necessarily true. So if we agree with the premises we may think that there's no metaphysically possible world in which the premises are true and the conclusion is false. But that doesn't make it logically valid. All of the confusion is coming from Isaac et al saying that if the premises are true then the conclusion has to be true. Well, sure, in some sense of 'has to', because the suppressed premises may have to be true. But that doesn't make it logically valid - the conclusion doesn't follow from the premises simply in virtue of the logical form of the conclusion and the premises.

I beg you to let me replace this with the following explanation of logical validity, which I assume we all recall from formal logic, and with which I believe I have some success explaining to some people what we're talking about and why Isaac's claims don't address it:

"What it is for an argument to be logically valid is for the truth of its conclusion to be guaranteed by the truth of its premises simply in virtue of the logical form (or syntactic structure of the content) of the premises and the conclusion. For instance, an argument of the form

(P1) If consuming animal products causes unnecessary suffering, then we should not consume animal products,
(P2) Consuming animal products causes unnecessary suffering,
Therefore, (C) we should not consume animal products
is logically valid. This is because it has the (sentential) logical form:

(P1) If U then V
(P2) U
Therefore (C) V
Here, C follows from P1 and P2 simply from this abstract logical form whatever the specific content of U and V may be (this particular way of a conclusion following from its logical form and that of the premises is known as "modus ponens").

In the following sections we will prove that NTT is not logically valid - that is, the truth of its conclusion is not guaranteed by the truth of its premises simply in virtue of the logical form of the premises and its conclusion. (To show this requires not only looking at its sentential logical form, like that in the above argument, which replaces whole sentences flanking logical connectives like 'if...then', 'and' and 'or' with abstract symbols, but looking at its predicate-logical form, which replaces the predicates within these sentences with abstract symbols, and quantification over entities that can have the properties signified by those predicates, like 'for all x' and 'for some x', as will be seen below)."

I also beg you to let me put this at the outset of the section on showing that NTT isn't logically valid so people who have no background in any of this understand WTF we mean by 'logically valid' and WTF we are talking about, since Isaac et al are using 'valid' in a colloquial way to mean 'if the premises are true then the conclusion has to be true / we rationally ought to agree with the conclusion" (which isn't logical validity, because e.g., it could be that if the premises are true then we rationally ought to believe that the conclusion is true because we rationally ought to believe that a suppressed premise is also true).

More generally, about the invalidity section: It seems to me that there’s a lot of great stuff in here, but I'm worried that it's difficult for many members of our audience to access, and some of it might be more elaborate than we need in order to make the basic points. Some points about how I understand our audience:

(1) Very few if any members of our intended audience have any philosophical background, and I think that most will not have any mathematical background either. We want this to be accessible to all vegan advocates who are interested in this issue, including people who understand themselves as being helped by it in their street activism (as Banana Warrior Princess has discussed).

(2) Most of our readers don’t have forever to get to the main points and aren’t as interested in every possible twist and turn as we are: I think they need a quick punchline.

(3) People need a clear explanation of what’s going on with its invalidity before worrying about any of the confusions that have arisen in discussions with Isaac. The exception would be cases where the confusions are natural and can alert us to the importance of making helpful distinctions – for instance about what we mean by ‘logically valid’ (I like this was of designating it, but we still need to explain what it means, as above). This is important not only to avoid confusing people by layering Isaac drama on top of the various elements of the argument's invalidity, but to avoid this thing coming across as a biased hit-piece. We’ve seen how unhelpful defensiveness and intellectual one-upmanship is when practiced by Isaac; I think that it’s critical to engage in strategic communication and be good role models by rising above the sniping and offering clear, professional explanations that address the merits and demerits of arguments, not the merits and demerits of individuals.

So what I’d recommend is trying to have as simple and clear main narrative as possible, which presupposes as little background as possible, and which considers a maximally charitable interpretation of the argument as possible, and then move some of the other stuff to (i) a technical appendix with all of the things that need to be done to get to the most charitable interpretation, and also (ii) a section or entry on objections / replies / confusions - which I think should perhaps replace (at least in name) our page on Isaac; instead of a page on Isaac, why don't we have one that includes the various things Isaac has said in trying to defend the argument’s validity and how these don’t work?

I think that we should also foreshadow why anyone should care about logical validity instead of looser relation. I think that I’ve been able to convince at least one of Isaac’s subs that we’re talking about a technical sense different from what Isaac means when he talks about ‘valid’ or ‘consistent’. This young gentleman’s subsequent reaction was exactly what I anticipated it would be; it was in essence “OK, so why the fuck should I care about that? Why the fuck should I care about some pedantic, technical distinctions made by stuffy professional philosophers?” Indeed, I think that the burden of proof is on us to explain this all to them. Young people these days are refreshingly culturally libertarian: they’re not going to take something on your say so or authority unless you give them a good reason for it. Unsubstantiated assertions like “these are the standards for formal arguments” simply aren’t going to cut it. I believe that, because no one has explained to the uninitiated why on earth they should care about logical validity per se, there is an impression that people on here are just fetishistically complaining that NTT doesn’t meet certain aesthetically pleasing formal conditions – or even worse, trying to make Isaac and his subs look stupid or ignorant simply for not having the technical background that we have, and are deliberately using terms in ways that he doesn’t understand without explaining them to him simply to lord it over him. I’m certainly not saying that any of this is true, but it is something we need to dispel if we’re going to communicate effectively and strategically.

I think that we thus need to explain why anyone should care about whether an argument is logically valid vs. rationally compelling in some looser sense, and it is this. It helps us clarify if we have identified all of the substantive assumptions behind a conclusion so that it follows formally (when it is logically valid), or (if it isn’t logically valid) what the additional substantive assumptions are (even if very plausible and widely accepted), so we can know that we’re actually making those assumptions (in this case contra some of what Isaac has suggested), not cause confusion or look stupid by not admitting that we are making them, and be in a position to defend those assumptions forthrightly.
DrSinger

Post by DrSinger »

That is a definition I got from a textbook, and it essentially refers simply to truth value assignments. I'm hesitant to introduce things relating to 'logical form' because without talking about deduction it's not really clear how that works, and we don't use deduction in the article. Whereas the 'truth table test' is essentially what we are doing in the debunk. I do think your explanation would be worth adding in though, I just think it needs more explanation. I think we could link to this article after it.

http://philosophicalvegan.com/wiki/index.php/Proving_Formal_Arguments
Maybe you would be interested in filling it out (I don't know much about deduction). We started it a while back for precisely this reason, we don't want the article to get too bogged down with technical stuff.

Regarding the article 'justifying itself' or 'why should people care', I think it's clear that AY and most of his fans do definitely care if the argument is formally valid, considering they insist that it is so.

I definitely don't think we should be separating NTT and the claims made by AY. The article loses utility and meaning if you try and shield AY from criticism too much. AY even refers to NTT as the whole 'consistency test', and most fans know it that way.
brimstoneSalad wrote:Instead, we may just want to move the proof down under the Issues discussion, and link to it from the top as is being done now (the jump down link).
I would be fine with this, once the itemized issues are updated etc. I also think we need to emphasise the invalid generalisations, he's still doing it ... it's worse than NTT being invalid imo.

Would you be okay with me changing the article as I see fit? I have time atm and I think we have similar conception for the article in mind.

Also what is your preferred way to refer to Ask Yourself? I like Ask Yourself most personally, since that's how he is known. Plus it gives him some degree of anonymity (not that he'd care right now).
ValidvsInvalid.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Margaret Hayek wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:30 am If by 'possible' you mean metaphysically possible, then, no, there can be arguments where it's metaphysically impossible for the premises to be true and the conclusion false, but the argument isn't logically valid. So for example '(P1) this cup contains water; therefore (C) This cup contains H20' is such that there is no metaphysically possible world where the premise is true and the conclusion is false
Given we formalize "water" and "H2O" as the same thing, it would be valid (like the issue of the definition of bachelor as unmarried + male). The problem in Isaac's and even Singer's argument we discussed is that it's not easy to do so (the two things are clearly not the same).

But anything that hinges on scientific certainty is a problem in itself.

Trivially, the cup could contain D2O (also water) which would make it false to say it contains H20 (which implies normal hydrogen), or the assumption that water is H2O could be wrong (it's very very unlikely, on the order of astronomically improbable that we are wrong about this, but it's *possible* in the strictest sense of possibility). It's even "possible" that we're all in a simulation and the cup "contains" a volume area defined as "water" in the simulation but that is not composed of anything else, and that when we use machines to analyze it they just tell us it's H2O.

The jump from metaphysical moral certainty to actual logical certainty is not one that can be taken trivially. Maybe when we have UFT we can demonstrate this.
Things like relativity are facts that can prove others to any degree of sensible certainty, but they still need to be stated as premises.

Margaret Hayek wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:30 amEven if by 'possible' you mean conceptually possible, then, still, no, there can be arguments where it's conceptually impossible for the premises to be true and the conclusion false, but the argument isn't logically valid. So for example '(P1) John is a bachelor; therefore (C) John is male' is such that there is no conceptually possible world where the premise is true and the conclusion is false, but it too isn't logically valid
Or John has graduated from a four year degree, and may be a lady named John. Or perhaps a transexual, where C refers only to being biologically male but we regard him as a bachelor in a cultural sense.

Thus the problem in leaning on language to create implicit premises; you may have a certain idea of what those words mean, but it's always possible for them to be interpreted differently.
I would not complain about very obvious issues of definition like that which can be resolved easily through charitable interpretation.
That's not even as serious a mistake as in Singer's argument. But it does pose a problem for validity.
Margaret Hayek wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:30 am: it has the logical form 'B(j) |- M(j)',
Or maybe U(j)^M(j) |- M(j) if we interpret "bachelor" both charitably and clearly?

The question of possibility then comes down to interpretation of the words, and it's certainly possible for it to be interpreted as logically invalid since the definition isn't specified.
Margaret Hayek wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:30 amI think that this is HIGHLY relevant to NTT, because the ethical premises in NTT may be necessarily true,
That may be, but is it bad form not to mention them, and the bigger problem is they are not accepted as true by the people Isaac thinks this argument works on and there's no way to interpret his argument charitably enough to make it valid that Isaac accepts. The ambiguities he's exploiting in conversation make that impossible.

I think if we actually had uncontroversial proofs of these premises that it would spawn new fundamental axioms in logical argument -- much the way UFT might be revolutionary. Until such a time, it is at least "possible" even if not plausible or reasonable (and even if known to a moral certainty) for these things to be false.
Margaret Hayek wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:30 amSo if we agree with the premises we may think that there's no metaphysically possible world in which the premises are true and the conclusion is false.
We may think that (and I agree those hidden premises are true), but can we prove that?
And if not, how can we think it's impossible that we are mistaken to the point we assert the argument is valid?

I believe those hidden premises (needed for the first half, anyway) are true and that there are very strong arguments for them, but Isaac's debate opponents do not (I talked to FriendEd at some length, for example, and his views on morality are very messy and inconsistent, but there's no clear indication that he would accept those premises and it looks like he would not).

The true argument and root of disagreement lies with those hidden premises themselves.

I don't think we can call the NTT argument valid unless we either conclude that argument first, or include those points as premises.

Doing so would be along the same lines of intellectual integrity as Christians calling this argument valid, because they personally can not conceive of any metaphysically possible world in which the premise is true and the conclusion is false:

P1 - The universe exists
C - God exists

Margaret Hayek wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:30 am I beg you to let me replace this with the following explanation of logical validity, which I assume we all recall from formal logic, and with which I believe I have some success explaining to some people what we're talking about and why Isaac's claims don't address it:
If it's OK with DrSinger it's fine with me... but I really think this kind of more detailed explanation of validity should be in the other article, and that we link to it. This one is already quite long, and I think this explanation is also a little complicated for people to understand where the "possible" explanation is simpler.

I think "possible" really covers it when we consider the possibility of various interpretations of linguistically ambiguous statements and the provisional nature of science. It may be worth explaining more what that possibility means, and that it does not just hinge on faith and perceived possibility due to the inability of the person making the argument to imagine it's possible that it not be true (as in the Christian analogy).

The only things that are recognized as legitimately impossible (not just implausible) are violations of logic itself (non-contradiction, etc.) by necessity of the laws of thought. Anything else that has not been proved in those terms is strictly speaking potentially possible in this sense.
Margaret Hayek wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:30 amI also beg you to let me put this at the outset of the section on showing that NTT isn't logically valid
If you really don't think a link explaining the basics of logic wouldn't do it.

I'm just concerned with this growing too long if we don't start putting tangential points(and particularly points we may need to link to other arguments on) on other pages.

Margaret Hayek wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:30 am (1) Very few if any members of our intended audience have any philosophical background, and I think that most will not have any mathematical background either. We want this to be accessible to all vegan advocates who are interested in this issue, including people who understand themselves as being helped by it in their street activism (as Banana Warrior Princess has discussed).
I think that's a good argument for having the other section first, so they can stop when it becomes too complicated for them.
Margaret Hayek wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:30 am(3) People need a clear explanation of what’s going on with its invalidity before worrying about any of the confusions that have arisen in discussions with Isaac. The exception would be cases where the confusions are natural and can alert us to the importance of making helpful distinctions – for instance about what we mean by ‘logically valid’ (I like this was of designating it, but we still need to explain what it means, as above).
It may be useful to deal with Isaac's concept of validity more explicitly with analogies.

In general, I think we need to lean much more on analogy to help people understand these issues.
Margaret Hayek wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:30 amSo what I’d recommend is trying to have as simple and clear main narrative as possible, which presupposes as little background as possible, and which considers a maximally charitable interpretation of the argument as possible, and then move some of the other stuff
If we can start out as simple as possible like that, that would probably be ideal.
I think we may need to get feedback from some test audience to see how much they really understand as we proceed.
Margaret Hayek wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:30 ama section or entry on objections / replies / confusions - which I think should perhaps replace (at least in name) our page on Isaac; instead of a page on Isaac, why don't we have one that includes the various things Isaac has said in trying to defend the argument’s validity and how these don’t work?
I thought that was kind of how it worked now?

I'm not sure how cleanly they can be separated, but it may be worth trying.

Margaret Hayek wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:30 am I think that we should also foreshadow why anyone should care about logical validity instead of looser relation.
We may benefit from an article on why logic is important, that we can link in. This is an issue that will likely come up many times.

Margaret Hayek wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:30 amIt helps us clarify if we have identified all of the substantive assumptions behind a conclusion so that it follows formally (when it is logically valid), or (if it isn’t logically valid) what the additional substantive assumptions are (even if very plausible and widely accepted), so we can know that we’re actually making those assumptions (in this case contra some of what Isaac has suggested), not cause confusion or look stupid by not admitting that we are making them, and be in a position to defend those assumptions forthrightly.
Some examples from theistic apologetics would probably drive that point home well.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

DrSinger wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:43 am I do think your explanation would be worth adding in though, I just think it needs more explanation. I think we could link to this article after it.

Maybe you would be interested in filling it out (I don't know much about deduction). We started it a while back for precisely this reason, we don't want the article to get too bogged down with technical stuff.
That would be good.
DrSinger wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:43 amRegarding the article 'justifying itself' or 'why should people care', I think it's clear that AY and most of his fans do definitely care if the argument is formally valid, considering they insist that it is so.
I think they do because they claim to care about being logical... but only until you show them it isn't valid, in which case they'll throw logic out the window just like a theist will (saying God is beyond the laws of logic as soon as you show a contradiction).
DrSinger wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:43 amI definitely don't think we should be separating NTT and the claims made by AY. The article loses utility and meaning if you try and shield AY from criticism too much. AY even refers to NTT as the whole 'consistency test', and most fans know it that way.
This is why I think staggering it may work.

1. The first half of the argument on its own
2. Issues with Isaac's usage
3. The second half on its own
4. further issues with Isaac's usage

We could maintain some separation, but keep the close enough that people can basically get the information together in chunks.

DrSinger wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:43 amI would be fine with this, once the itemized issues are updated etc. I also think we need to emphasise the invalid generalisations, he's still doing it ... it's worse than NTT being invalid imo.
I agree, that needs to be emphasized.
In general, Isaac's responses are worse than the missing premises in the argument (which at least in the first part are very easy to correct for).

DrSinger wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:43 amWould you be okay with me changing the article as I see fit? I have time atm and I think we have similar conception for the article in mind.
Sure, just don't delete anything (move it to another page if need be so we can see what has been removed... Wiki's ability to show changes is kind of limited once things are moved around).

DrSinger wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:43 amAlso what is your preferred way to refer to Ask Yourself? I like Ask Yourself most personally, since that's how he is known. Plus it gives him some degree of anonymity (not that he'd care right now).
Brown would probably be most professional.
"Ask Yourself" reads oddly, but shortening to AY may work.

I think my inclination to call him Isaac instead of Brown is basically because I see him as a petulant child. We probably should use "Brown".
mkm

Post by mkm »

For what it's worth, I watched the latest video of Ask Yourself Unnatural Vegan should defend/retract her odd claims. What he describes there and calls law of identity is not really law of identity. It looks more like some kind of axiom of extensionality from the set theory, which says that sets with the same elements are the same set. From what I've read you recognize it as identity of indiscernibles, which propably is a more "real life" version of the same thing.
What's important - anyone who wants to use it should assume it as a premise. It's somehow nice to see that Ask Yoursel tries to refine NTT, but he still fails.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

mkm wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:27 pm For what it's worth, I watched the latest video of Ask Yourself Unnatural Vegan should defend/retract her odd claims. What he describes there and calls law of identity is not really law of identity. It looks more like some kind of axiom of extensionality from the set theory, which says that sets with the same elements are the same set. From what I've read you recognize it as identity of indiscernibles, which propably is a more "real life" version of the same thing.
What's important - anyone who wants to use it should assume it as a premise. It's somehow nice to see that Ask Yoursel tries to refine NTT, but he still fails.
I'll watch it. It sounds like we should add some of his arguments from this video in and address them directly.
Margaret Hayek

Post by Margaret Hayek »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:43 pm
Margaret Hayek wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:30 am If by 'possible' you mean metaphysically possible, then, no, there can be arguments where it's metaphysically impossible for the premises to be true and the conclusion false, but the argument isn't logically valid. So for example '(P1) this cup contains water; therefore (C) This cup contains H20' is such that there is no metaphysically possible world where the premise is true and the conclusion is false
Given we formalize "water" and "H2O" as the same thing, it would be valid (like the issue of the definition of bachelor as unmarried + male). The problem in Isaac's and even Singer's argument we discussed is that it's not easy to do so (the two things are clearly not the same).
That water is H20 was a substantive discovery. Before 1750 they knew that things were water but they didn't know about H20. It is NOT simply a matter of formal logic / knowing logical form that they're the same thing. So it would be highly misleading to formalize an argument where someone might question this (say, when early chemical theory was being debated) in a way that simply builds this into a premise.

This matters because Isaac et al. are confusing all sorts of substantive issues with simply what follows from logical form, and that water is H20 is similarly a substantive piece of knowledge.

[Incidentally, if you don't like that example of how validity is distinct from there being no possible world where premises are true & conclusion is false, here's another:

'(P1) 2+2 = 4; (C) 8 x 10 = 80'

No possible world in which (P1) is true & (C) is false (because both are necessarily true), but the argument isn't valid; (C) doesn't follow from the logical form of (P1)]

But anything that hinges on scientific certainty is a problem in itself.

Trivially, the cup could contain D2O (also water) which would make it false to say it contains H20 (which implies normal hydrogen), or the assumption that water is H2O could be wrong (it's very very unlikely, on the order of astronomically improbable that we are wrong about this, but it's *possible* in the strictest sense of possibility). It's even "possible" that we're all in a simulation and the cup "contains" a volume area defined as "water" in the simulation but that is not composed of anything else, and that when we use machines to analyze it they just tell us it's H2O.

The jump from metaphysical moral certainty to actual logical certainty is not one that can be taken trivially. Maybe when we have UFT we can demonstrate this.
Things like relativity are facts that can prove others to any degree of sensible certainty, but they still need to be stated as premises.

Margaret Hayek wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:30 amEven if by 'possible' you mean conceptually possible, then, still, no, there can be arguments where it's conceptually impossible for the premises to be true and the conclusion false, but the argument isn't logically valid. So for example '(P1) John is a bachelor; therefore (C) John is male' is such that there is no conceptually possible world where the premise is true and the conclusion is false, but it too isn't logically valid
Or John has graduated from a four year degree, and may be a lady named John. Or perhaps a transexual, where C refers only to being biologically male but we regard him as a bachelor in a cultural sense.

Thus the problem in leaning on language to create implicit premises; you may have a certain idea of what those words mean, but it's always possible for them to be interpreted differently.
I would not complain about very obvious issues of definition like that which can be resolved easily through charitable interpretation.
That's not even as serious a mistake as in Singer's argument. But it does pose a problem for validity.
Margaret Hayek wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:30 am: it has the logical form 'B(j) |- M(j)',

Or maybe U(j)^M(j) |- M(j) if we interpret "bachelor" both charitably and clearly?

The question of possibility then comes down to interpretation of the words, and it's certainly possible for it to be interpreted as logically invalid since the definition isn't specified.
Knowledge of what a concept (like bachelor) amounts to is not knowledge of logical form. If Isaac thinks the bundle theory / identity of indiscernibles are true, he might reasonably think they're conceptual truths (if he were able to think in terms of these distinctions). But that doesn't mean that an argument that doesn't include the bundle theory as a premise is logically valid - it isn't. Conceptual truths can be needed among the premises for an arugument to be valid.

Margaret Hayek wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:30 amI think that this is HIGHLY relevant to NTT, because the ethical premises in NTT may be necessarily true,
That may be, but is it bad form not to mention them, and the bigger problem is they are not accepted as true by the people Isaac thinks this argument works on and there's no way to interpret his argument charitably enough to make it valid that Isaac accepts. The ambiguities he's exploiting in conversation make that impossible.

I think if we actually had uncontroversial proofs of these premises that it would spawn new fundamental axioms in logical argument -- much the way UFT might be revolutionary. Until such a time, it is at least "possible" even if not plausible or reasonable (and even if known to a moral certainty) for these things to be false.
I'm sorry but I'm not quite following what you're saying here. I was just trying to give an explanation of why I think we need a clearer explanation of what logical validity is than 'the conclusion has to be true if the premises are true' because there is NO WAY that honest vegan advocates can clearly see that this isn't in some sense true of NTT - especially given the confusion sewn by the way Isaac talks - unless one clearly explains the relevant sense of 'has to'. There are TONS of comments all over Isaacs videos where people can't see the difference between (a) someone who accepts the premises & denies the conclusion would think something unreasonable, and (b) the conclusion follows from the premises simply in virtue of logical form or 'syntactic manipulation'.

Margaret Hayek wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:30 amSo if we agree with the premises we may think that there's no metaphysically possible world in which the premises are true and the conclusion is false.
We may think that (and I agree those hidden premises are true), but can we prove that?
And if not, how can we think it's impossible that we are mistaken to the point we assert the argument is valid?

I believe those hidden premises (needed for the first half, anyway) are true and that there are very strong arguments for them, but Isaac's debate opponents do not (I talked to FriendEd at some length, for example, and his views on morality are very messy and inconsistent, but there's no clear indication that he would accept those premises and it looks like he would not).

The true argument and root of disagreement lies with those hidden premises themselves.

I don't think we can call the NTT argument valid unless we either conclude that argument first, or include those points as premises.

Doing so would be along the same lines of intellectual integrity as Christians calling this argument valid, because they personally can not conceive of any metaphysically possible world in which the premise is true and the conclusion is false:

P1 - The universe exists
C - God exists
I'm glad to see that it looks like we largely agree why NTT's logical invalidity matters - viz. in those contexts where there is confusion about the suppressed premises and what is going on with people who are in essence trying to challenge them. But I don't quite follow the rest.

Margaret Hayek wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:30 am I beg you to let me replace this with the following explanation of logical validity, which I assume we all recall from formal logic, and with which I believe I have some success explaining to some people what we're talking about and why Isaac's claims don't address it:
If it's OK with DrSinger it's fine with me... but I really think this kind of more detailed explanation of validity should be in the other article, and that we link to it. This one is already quite long, and I think this explanation is also a little complicated for people to understand where the "possible" explanation is simpler.

I think "possible" really covers it when we consider the possibility of various interpretations of linguistically ambiguous statements and the provisional nature of science. It may be worth explaining more what that possibility means, and that it does not just hinge on faith and perceived possibility due to the inability of the person making the argument to imagine it's possible that it not be true (as in the Christian analogy).

The only things that are recognized as legitimately impossible (not just implausible) are violations of logic itself (non-contradiction, etc.) by necessity of the laws of thought. Anything else that has not been proved in those terms is strictly speaking potentially possible in this sense.
Margaret Hayek wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:30 amI also beg you to let me put this at the outset of the section on showing that NTT isn't logically valid
If you really don't think a link explaining the basics of logic wouldn't do it.

I'm just concerned with this growing too long if we don't start putting tangential points(and particularly points we may need to link to other arguments on) on other pages.
If we want to be honest brokers and explain what is going on with why NTT is actually not valid (despite what Isaac has said), then I think that we need to very explicitly distinguish actual logical validity from this loosey-goosey "the conclusion has to be true if the premises are" because Isaac et al. have EXPLICITLY fucked around with different senses of 'has to' that are not clearly ruled out by the mere statement "conclusion has to be true if premises are true". If an honest advocate reads the existing description of validity I am deeply concerned that they are just going to get more confused, because they won't clearly see why that isn't supposed to apply to NTT given what everyone has been saying, and what is going on with the enterprise of digging up suppressed premises that they will agree are true and may think have to be true.

As to length: yes, to deal with that I'm suggesting a distinct technical appendix page and a distinct page on objections and replies.

Maybe I should just ask, given what Dr. Singer said about not including all of the back and forth with Isaac: do you want the main entry to be

(a) an honest and accessible explanation of the problems with NTT that people can easily use who may want to know the problems with NTT without getting bogged down in the back and forth between Isaac and critics, or

(b) a point by point rebuttal of every ignorant and confused thing that Isaac has ever said about his argument, both because he doesn't understand things and to try to protect his ego (where the latter sometimes drives the former given the dynamics of cognitive dissonance)?

Because I really thought that everyone was on board with (a), but I think it's clear that (b) gets in the way of (a).

Margaret Hayek wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:30 am (1) Very few if any members of our intended audience have any philosophical background, and I think that most will not have any mathematical background either. We want this to be accessible to all vegan advocates who are interested in this issue, including people who understand themselves as being helped by it in their street activism (as Banana Warrior Princess has discussed).
I think that's a good argument for having the other section first, so they can stop when it becomes too complicated for them.
I'm sorry I couldn't follow: which other section?

Margaret Hayek wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:30 am(3) People need a clear explanation of what’s going on with its invalidity before worrying about any of the confusions that have arisen in discussions with Isaac. The exception would be cases where the confusions are natural and can alert us to the importance of making helpful distinctions – for instance about what we mean by ‘logically valid’ (I like this was of designating it, but we still need to explain what it means, as above).
It may be useful to deal with Isaac's concept of validity more explicitly with analogies.

In general, I think we need to lean much more on analogy to help people understand these issues.
Margaret Hayek wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:30 amSo what I’d recommend is trying to have as simple and clear main narrative as possible, which presupposes as little background as possible, and which considers a maximally charitable interpretation of the argument as possible, and then move some of the other stuff
If we can start out as simple as possible like that, that would probably be ideal.
I think we may need to get feedback from some test audience to see how much they really understand as we proceed.
How about I take a stab at this? I could add this into the wiki - or maybe I can just post my stab into this comment thread. That would help me out by increasing my number of posts to the point that I can use the PM-ing feature :)

Margaret Hayek wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:30 ama section or entry on objections / replies / confusions - which I think should perhaps replace (at least in name) our page on Isaac; instead of a page on Isaac, why don't we have one that includes the various things Isaac has said in trying to defend the argument’s validity and how these don’t work?
I thought that was kind of how it worked now?

I'm not sure how cleanly they can be separated, but it may be worth trying.
I think I meant: to save on space for the main entry, move some of the back and forth into a separate entry that replaces / subsumes the one I started and Isaac and gets renamed as an objections and responses entry.

Margaret Hayek wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:30 am I think that we should also foreshadow why anyone should care about logical validity instead of looser relation.
We may benefit from an article on why logic is important, that we can link in. This is an issue that will likely come up many times.
I think I've got an idea for this. I can include it in my proposal which I can post into this thread.

Margaret Hayek wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:30 amIt helps us clarify if we have identified all of the substantive assumptions behind a conclusion so that it follows formally (when it is logically valid), or (if it isn’t logically valid) what the additional substantive assumptions are (even if very plausible and widely accepted), so we can know that we’re actually making those assumptions (in this case contra some of what Isaac has suggested), not cause confusion or look stupid by not admitting that we are making them, and be in a position to defend those assumptions forthrightly.
Some examples from theistic apologetics would probably drive that point home well.
That might be interesting but I'm not sure that I have such examples ready to hand (and anyway the entry is long). I was just going to explain it by reference of what we say later about how knowing about the suppressed premises can matter in the case of NTT.

Really important question for the later sections on why NTT's invalidity matters qua causing confusion / inability to respond to objections: can people give examples of debates in which Isaac's (or others') tacitly appealing to the suppressed premises without acknowledging them has caused confusion or error? Can you tell me which debates to watch for this? Do you have time-stamps?

Thanks,
Margaret
Last edited by Margaret Hayek on Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Margaret Hayek

Post by Margaret Hayek »

DrSinger wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:43 am That is a definition I got from a textbook, and it essentially refers simply to truth value assignments.
Sure, and I'm sure it's fine for contexts where the relevant sense of possibility are clear - it's just that I think that this is DEFINITELY not one of those contexts.
I'm hesitant to introduce things relating to 'logical form' because without talking about deduction it's not really clear how that works, and we don't use deduction in the article. Whereas the 'truth table test' is essentially what we are doing in the debunk. I do think your explanation would be worth adding in though, I just think it needs more explanation. I think we could link to this article after it.

It didn't look to me like you actually use truth tables much in explaining invalidity: the work is done by constructing a counterexample.

Maybe it will be clearer in what I will propose on this thread why (i) we don't need to further discuss deduction to explain logical form, and (ii) the distinction between logical form and other issues is crucial to explain why the counterexample works even though, given what Isaac is now saying, he doesn't think it's metaphysically possible.

I think that I should just propose this on this thread, and the proof can be in the pudding as they say.

Regarding the article 'justifying itself' or 'why should people care', I think it's clear that AY and most of his fans do definitely care if the argument is formally valid, considering they insist that it is so.
But they don't know what we mean by 'valid', 'consistent', and 'contradiction'; and in exchanges they don't see the point of using the terms as we do. As such I think that we need to explain the point of what we mean by them. This isn't just an issue for his fans - it's for anyone else to see why this isn't pointless nit-picking.

I definitely don't think we should be separating NTT and the claims made by AY. The article loses utility and meaning if you try and shield AY from criticism too much. AY even refers to NTT as the whole 'consistency test', and most fans know it that way.
I very strongly disagree. There are lots of people who want to know the problems with NTT without having time to follow all of the back and forth between Isaac & critics. For these people I think it's EXTREMELY helpful to at least have very separate sections (i) explaining why it's invalid and (ii) explaining how Isaac has sewn confusion about this and why it's confused. Given the concerns about the length of the article (and that it purports to be about an argument, not the confusions displayed by its author per se), I'd actually recommend putting at least some of this into a separate entry.

Also what is your preferred way to refer to Ask Yourself? I like Ask Yourself most personally, since that's how he is known. Plus it gives him some degree of anonymity (not that he'd care right now).

ValidvsInvalid.png
I've been using 'Brown'; I think in most contexts that would be most professional (as, after introducing Singer as 'Peter Singer,' one would go onto say 'Singer'). But I don't know the conventions around Youtube monikers, so, if it's considered common and respectful to refer to individuals by their Youtube monikers in the context of things they've done on Youtube, I think 'Ask Yourself' would of course be just fine.

Just don't say 'Isaac' - that is clearly demeaning in this context (since e.g. Singer doesn't get referred to as 'Peter' and Bentham doesn't get referred to as 'Jeremy', and I know of no reputable wikis of any kind that refer to people by first name) and, especially given that this entry is at VERY serious risk of looking like a petty squabble with Isaac, I greatly fear that talking down to him as 'Isaac' will highly encourage this unhelpful impression.
Last edited by Margaret Hayek on Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Margaret Hayek wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:28 pm Sure, and I'm sure it's fine for contexts where the relevant sense of possibility are clear - it's just that I think that this is DEFINITELY not one of those contexts.
If you're pretty sure about that, we can be clear on this point in the article... but I think we should keep it as brief as possible and link to an article explaining in more detail.
Margaret Hayek wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:28 pm
I very strongly disagree. There are lots of people who want to know the problems with NTT without having time to follow all of the back and forth between Isaac & critics. For these people I think it's EXTREMELY helpful to at least have very separate sections (i) explaining why it's invalid and (ii) explaining how Isaac has sewn confusion about this and why it's confused. Given the concerns about the length of the article (and that it purports to be about an argument, not the confusions displayed by its author per se), I'd actually recommend putting at least some of this into a separate entry.
I think we need to keep it together on one page because the second part about Isaac would be without context (Things that can not be useful on their own or meaningfully linked from other pages shouldn't be their own pages), but I can agree with putting the explanation of the problems with the general argument first before mentioning of the additional issues Isaac created.
This way if somebody only wants to see that and doesn't care what Isaac is putting his foot in this time, they can just read that part pretty easily.
Margaret Hayek wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:28 pmBut I don't know the conventions around Youtube monikers, so, if it's considered common and respectful to refer to individuals by their Youtube monikers in the context of things they've done on Youtube, I think 'Ask Yourself' would of course be just fine.
Convention on Youtube is casual, first name basis (not monikers). Even when people have no idea how to say or spell the first name, look at Reggie Flowers trying to say "Swayze" a while back (which I think probably demonstrates the force of that convention that they still choose it over the moniker).
On youtube they say Isaac, Richard, Ryan, Angie, Swayze, Emily, Eisel, etc.
I haven't seen anybody using last names or monikers in the videos themselves (only monikers in the titles and descriptions).
I think the reason for this is that many last names are not known, and youtubers often only go by first name, or just because it's a more casual environment.
I've never heard anybody refer to Isaac as "Brown" on or around Youtube.
However, abbreviated monikers are common in text. AY, UV, ABLC, HHV, etc. probably because name abbreviations wouldn't be as coherent.

I don't have any problem using "Brown" here for consistency with "Singer" etc., since this isn't youtube, although it might confuse people (since many people don't know that's his last name). I highly doubt anybody is going to have a problem with us using Isaac, but again Brown is fine as long as we state it at the start (referred to as just "Brown" in this article). People will figure it out.
Margaret Hayek

Post by Margaret Hayek »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:56 pm
Margaret Hayek wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:28 pm Sure, and I'm sure it's fine for contexts where the relevant sense of possibility are clear - it's just that I think that this is DEFINITELY not one of those contexts.
If you're pretty sure about that, we can be clear on this point in the article... but I think we should keep it as brief as possible and link to an article explaining in more detail.
Definitely agree about the brevity.

Margaret Hayek wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:28 pm
I think we need to keep it together on one page because the second part about Isaac would be without context (Things that can not be useful on their own or meaningfully linked from other pages shouldn't be their own pages), but I can agree with putting the explanation of the problems with the general argument first before mentioning of the additional issues Isaac created.
This way if somebody only wants to see that and doesn't care what Isaac is putting his foot in this time, they can just read that part pretty easily.
That sounds just fine. I guess I still don't see why we couldn't do a page on objections and responses and a page that's a technical appendix to this, which could draw a lot of context from the main article (and perhaps have short introductions, which refer to the main page for more detail, that make the pages in principle self contained; e.g. 'here's a summary of the invalidity of NTT, for more detail see main article, now here's how Brown / AY has confused this in way 1, why it's wrong; in way 2, why it's wrong, etc.' 'here is our formalization of NTT, for more context see main entry, here are the issues that went into this formalization - all humans, what about brain dead humans?. all animals, what about non-sentient animals like jellyfish?'). But that might take more work, and the main reason to make separate pages might be if this is getting too long - and I think that we'll be able to reduce length of the main page when we combine stuff from the itemized issues into coherent problems with the justification of P1 & P2 in part 1 and the problems with part 2. So I think we'll end up being OK on length even if we keep a lot of this sort of stuff in different sections / sub(^n)sections on the main entry - and I can see why, to make this as easy as possible (and not send people off to other pages who WANT to see wtf is going on with Isaac's confusions) it might be best to keep it all on one page.

Margaret Hayek wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:28 pmBut I don't know the conventions around Youtube monikers, so, if it's considered common and respectful to refer to individuals by their Youtube monikers in the context of things they've done on Youtube, I think 'Ask Yourself' would of course be just fine.
Convention on Youtube is casual, first name basis (not monikers). Even when people have no idea how to say or spell the first name, look at Reggie Flowers trying to say "Swayze" a while back (which I think probably demonstrates the force of that convention that they still choose it over the moniker).
On youtube they say Isaac, Richard, Ryan, Angie, Swayze, Emily, Eisel, etc.
I haven't seen anybody using last names or monikers in the videos themselves (only monikers in the titles and descriptions).
I think the reason for this is that many last names are not known, and youtubers often only go by first name, or just because it's a more casual environment.
I've never heard anybody refer to Isaac as "Brown" on or around Youtube.
However, abbreviated monikers are common in text. AY, UV, ABLC, HHV, etc. probably because name abbreviations wouldn't be as coherent.

I don't have any problem using "Brown" here for consistency with "Singer" etc., since this isn't youtube, although it might confuse people (since many people don't know that's his last name). I highly doubt anybody is going to have a problem with us using Isaac, but again Brown is fine as long as we state it at the start (referred to as just "Brown" in this article). People will figure it out.
That's fine; if 'Brown' sounds too weird / hard to follow I think it might be best to follow Dr. Singer's suggestion and say 'Ask Yourself', just to avoid 'Isaac' looking too informal and demeaning in the context of a wiki.