Judgmental vegan. What the hell does that mean?

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Jebus
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Judgmental vegan. What the hell does that mean?

Post by Jebus »

During my years as a vegan, I have both been told that I am too judgmental and that I am not as judgmental as other vegans. This word gets thrown around a lot in conversations about vegans and I'm still not sure what it means. If someone pushes in front of me in the ATM line, I will be upset with her without making any other assumptions about her character. When I see someone eat meat I will be upset with her without making any other assumptions about her character. What's the difference and does this make me judgmental?
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: Judgmental vegan. What the hell does that mean?

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Pushing in front of somebody in a line is understood as socially unacceptable, like smoking is becoming, so it's socially acceptable to be upset with people for doing those things; they're violating a social rule and being rude, and that's where the offense is assumed to be coming from (not some kind of moral offense). Meanwhile, eating meat is unfortunately still considered socially acceptable, so it seems to people like you're being judgmental when you become upset with them for doing it.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

I think what you are writing is that in the eye of the recipient (of criticism) "judgmental" is whenever one is criticized with a commonly held belief. In that case, I guess the commonly held synonym would be "overly critical" even though the academical definition of these terms are quite different.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

I think it's the motivation of the criticism; people make a distinction between criticism motivated by social rudeness (which they accept) vs. that motivated by moral wrongness of the action (which they consider judgmental).