labmeat hypotheticals

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Gregor Samsa
Diet: Vegan

Re: labmeat hypotheticals

Post by Gregor Samsa »

There's no best argument for everyone. You will always have to feel the person you're talking to :)

The problem I've had with this argument is not that people haven't understood it, it's that it lacks a "normative punch". Ie everyone I've talked to (and I've only used it on people I know have an easy time understanding hypotheticals) has ended up agreeing that factory farming isn't moral, but it didn't register for them emotionally; they didn't feel bad over it.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Gregor Samsa wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:11 am The problem I've had with this argument is not that people haven't understood it, it's that it lacks a "normative punch". Ie everyone I've talked to (and I've only used it on people I know have an easy time understanding hypotheticals) has ended up agreeing that factory farming isn't moral, but it didn't register for them emotionally; they didn't feel bad over it.
It may take time for it to register.

Have you tried talking to them about what they think a moral person is, and if they consider themselves moral people?
Gregor Samsa

Post by Gregor Samsa »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:24 pm
Gregor Samsa wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:11 am The problem I've had with this argument is not that people haven't understood it, it's that it lacks a "normative punch". Ie everyone I've talked to (and I've only used it on people I know have an easy time understanding hypotheticals) has ended up agreeing that factory farming isn't moral, but it didn't register for them emotionally; they didn't feel bad over it.
It may take time for it to register.

Have you tried talking to them about what they think a moral person is, and if they consider themselves moral people?
Probably not enough.