Are Almonds Vegan? (please read, serious question)

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Fayrow
Diet: Vegan

Are Almonds Vegan? (please read, serious question)

Post by Fayrow »

I've recently learned that California trucks in millions of bees during almond season to pollinate the almonds. In fact, according to the California government, 1.6 million colonies of bees. That's 60% of all honeybees in the USA.

Now, certainly an almond doesn't have any animal products directly, but is this practice a cause for concern since so many animals are necessary to make almonds?

This also begs the question of how almonds can be vegan but honey isn't. Personally I don't eat honey, but I may need to reconsider eating almonds.

I understand that bees are used to pollinate other crops too, but I think we should limit the discussion to almonds in this thread since they literally take a majority of bees to grow a crop.
My Youtube channels:

Personal sketch comedy channel:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCojlXN ... y25tH3Eg2w

Inside the Muddle, a weekly NFL sketch comedy show: https://www.youtube.com/user/InsideTheMuddle
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin

Re: Are Almonds Vegan? (please read, serious question)

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

While I haven't looked into this much, Id say its not necessarily an issue for vegans because there are many crops that require bee pollination. The issue is that we grow larger numbers of these crops then natural bee populations can handle, and bee populations seem to be on a decline, its still a natural process in which the bees engage freely.
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics
Neptual

Post by Neptual »

Can you please provide a source for this? I'd love to read more on this subject.
She's beautiful...
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

If we weren't taking their honey, I wouldn't see as much of a problem with trucking bees around to food sources- which would be a more equitable arrangement.

What are your concerns in particular?
PrincessPeach

Post by PrincessPeach »

Fayrow wrote:I've recently learned that California trucks in millions of bees during almond season to pollinate the almonds. In fact, according to the California government, 1.6 million colonies of bees. That's 60% of all honeybees in the USA.

Now, certainly an almond doesn't have any animal products directly, but is this practice a cause for concern since so many animals are necessary to make almonds?

This also begs the question of how almonds can be vegan but honey isn't. Personally I don't eat honey, but I may need to reconsider eating almonds.

I understand that bees are used to pollinate other crops too, but I think we should limit the discussion to almonds in this thread since they literally take a majority of bees to grow a crop.
First off, unless you buy almonds from your local farm; almonds sold in the USA have to be steam pasteurized depending on the processing system this could alter the nutritional value of the almonds. The way to check if they've been damaged is to try and sprout (soak) the almonds. If almonds float to the top they are rancid, if the almonds do not expand in size or only soak up a little bit of the water they've been too damaged during the steam processing. For me, it is too much of a hassle I don't even bother with buying almonds any more.

I am not sure if you have heard of CCD otherwise known as Colony Collapse Disorder.
IMO breeding bee's for the purpose to pollinate crops is essential for all life.
Bee species are dying and we don't know why; having bee breeders to ensure our Earth has more bees is a good thing if you ask me. I've heard it is more cost efficient and profitable for bee keepers to sell their bees for pollination purposes rather than for making honey.
Queen bee's are bred in a higher quantity specifically for honey making purposes, usually they have their wings chopped off and life span shortened (usually 5years now 1-2years) to get the honey and other by products from the hive you need to remove the bees from the hive (shake the bees, force air, toxic fumes, some kill all the bees some bees die accidentally/crushed)
Don't be a waste of molecules
Fayrow

Post by Fayrow »

dan1073 wrote:Can you please provide a source for this? I'd love to read more on this subject.

http://www.motherjones.com/tom-philpott ... neybee-die

http://qz.com/257341/why-almonds-are-ba ... vironment/
My Youtube channels:

Personal sketch comedy channel:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCojlXN ... y25tH3Eg2w

Inside the Muddle, a weekly NFL sketch comedy show: https://www.youtube.com/user/InsideTheMuddle
Fayrow

Post by Fayrow »

TheVeganAtheist wrote:While I haven't looked into this much, Id say its not necessarily an issue for vegans because there are many crops that require bee pollination. The issue is that we grow larger numbers of these crops then natural bee populations can handle, and bee populations seem to be on a decline, its still a natural process in which the bees engage freely.

The issue isn't really that bees are used in pollination. It's that they are boxed, trucked into Cali from across the country and fed diets of corn syrup for days. I have to admit that I care very little for insects' lives. Still, with a huge decline in bee population, can we justify killing so many bees for one crop's harvest? Won't this affect literally every other crop that needs bees since Almonds require such a large percentage and many die in the process?
My Youtube channels:

PrincessPeach

Post by PrincessPeach »

Fayrow wrote:

The issue isn't really that bees are used in pollination. It's that they are boxed, trucked into Cali from across the country and fed diets of corn syrup for days. I have to admit that I care very little for insects' lives. Still, with a huge decline in bee population, can we justify killing so many bees for one crop's harvest? Won't this affect literally every other crop that needs bees since Almonds require such a large percentage and many die in the process?
A few bees may die in the transportation but once delivered they are free to pollinate crops. A few days of corn syrup while it is not that nutritious isn't going to do any real harm to the bees. Do you know how many bugs you kill driving your car? It's more than how many bees die in pollination transportation. We aren't killing bees intentionally, so what if a few bees die in the process to a greater good. I love seeing a meat eating family switch over to nut milk!
Don't be a waste of molecules
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

PrincessPeach wrote:Do you know how many bugs you kill driving your car? It's more than how many bees die in pollination transportation. We aren't killing bees intentionally, so what if a few bees die in the process to a greater good.
That something else is also harmful, or that the harm is not intentional, is irrelevant to the fact of that harm and doesn't negate its importance. The fact is that the harm happens.

What is relevant is the cost-benefit analysis. Almost everything is harmful in some ways, and helpful in others; we can only determine if they are net goods or wrongs by comparing those things.

How many bees die per ton of almonds produced?
How sentient are bees?
What good do almonds do?
What good do they do for humans?
What good do they do elsewhere by displacing other foods?
What other harms do almonds do?

These are all important questions.