Is voluntary cannibalism the answer?

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.

Is it okay to eat a human that has consented to being eaten?

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 1

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Master of the Forum
Diet: Ostrovegan

Is voluntary cannibalism the answer?

Post by Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz »

I made a similar thread a while back, but I wanted to make another one.

If a human consents to being eaten, is it okay to eat them? I think it is. At the very least, it is much more moral than eating an animal, who can't consent.

In the book "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe" by Douglas Adams, the main character Arthur is at this restaurant and he meets a cow who offers to kill himself so that he can be made into food for him. Arthur is repulsed, but it is then pointed out to him that it must surely be better to eat an animal that consents to being eaten than an animal that can't.

Humans are animals. However, we have evolved to a point where we can complexly communicate with each other. This means we can ask each other whether we want to be eaten or not. So surely cannibalism can be a viable solution for those who want to turn vegan but like meat too much. Humans apparently taste like pork, so they can make a delicious substitute! And unlike meat eating with animals, it is humane! How can it not be when the human has consented?

So that is why I think cannibalism is okay. What are your thoughts on this matter? Would you personally eat a human that consented? Let me know!
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: Is voluntary cannibalism the answer?

Post by brimstoneSalad »

It can be moral, but I would clarify that it would only be to the extent euthanasia is ethical. Sometimes people are mentally ill and need treatment, and after receiving it are glad that either they didn't kill themselves or that the attempt failed. There may also be issues, depending on the incentives, of pulling people from productive work to become food and serving as a drain on society (as a practical social problem, but that's more along the lines of the ethics of legalized drugs or certain mindless video games), and if it were practiced frequently (more than an occasional thing) it would probably have the same health effects as pork which could be a drain too.

I wouldn't want to eat anybody, but I wouldn't necessarily judge somebody who did.