Thoughts on impossible burger?

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Master of the Forum
Diet: Ostrovegan

Thoughts on impossible burger?

Post by Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebNeUihciDI

I would recommend that you watch the video, because my description of it may not do it justice.

The so-called "impossible burger" seems like a very good burger. It is made up solely of plant, and yet, by the brilliance of science, we are able to make it taste like a real burger.

It is becoming increasingly popular, with many restaurants serving it.

It sounds almost too good to be true, but in my experience, when something seems that way, it often is.

This is why I would like to ask your thoughts on this burger, and to know is there a catch to this seeming godsend?
Red
Supporter
Supporter
Diet: Vegan

Re: Thoughts on impossible burger?

Post by Red »

Seems like too much meaty flavor for my blood. I never really liked beef burgers though, so I'd probably never eat it. Better than eating animals though!
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
Dream Sphere

Post by Dream Sphere »

I'd give it a try if it were easily available to me. Though I might be too irrationally grossed out to eat it or just plain dislike the taste. Sometimes I love Yves veggie burgers and their other mock meats still, but other times I get halfway through and just find it gross, so an even more realistic version of veggie burger would probably be something which I could only stomach occasionally when my tastes are aligned for something like it.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

I think it's true, I've seen reports on it from a number of credible sources from Adam Savage to Needle Drop.

They use Heme Iron from some kind of legume root to give it the taste of red meat. Unfortunately, heme iron in itself is a pretty good reason not to eat meat (carcinogenic etc.), also the burger contains large amounts of coconut oil (I think) which is rich in saturated fat, so the Impossible burger may be one of the least healthy veggie burgers on the market (so, it's not too good to be true ;) ). That said, it's still probably a *bit* healthier than beef, and anything that gets people to stop eating as many animals is great. A good thing all in all, I think.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

Hey, the Bareburger near where I live has recently incorporated the Impossible Burger to it's menu. I think I'll try it out of curiosity when I get the chance, and I'll let you guys know if it's good or not.
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
Gregor Samsa

Post by Gregor Samsa »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:56 pm I think it's true, I've seen reports on it from a number of credible sources from Adam Savage to Needle Drop.

They use Heme Iron from some kind of legume root to give it the taste of red meat. Unfortunately, heme iron in itself is a pretty good reason not to eat meat (carcinogenic etc.), also the burger contains large amounts of coconut oil (I think) which is rich in saturated fat, so the Impossible burger may be one of the least healthy veggie burgers on the market (so, it's not too good to be true ;) ). That said, it's still probably a *bit* healthier than beef, and anything that gets people to stop eating as many animals is great. A good thing all in all, I think.
They use the root of the soyplant ---> engineered some kind of yeast that produces heme. Re: health I assume it has huge environmental benefits compared to meat, and I think environment is a more pressing concern than personal health (if I'm to ignore the ethics of killing animals which of course I really can't).

If this burger delivers tastewise I give it a 10/10 (even if it's not that healthy!).
ModVegan

Post by ModVegan »

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:24 pm It sounds almost too good to be true, but in my experience, when something seems that way, it often is.

This is why I would like to ask your thoughts on this burger, and to know is there a catch to this seeming godsend?
Personally, I think it's awesome. I haven't tried it (I've managed to get my hands on the Beyond Burger, but no-one is serving the Impossible burger in my town yet). Anyway, I'd definitely eat it. I don't see much of a downside. It's obviously got a lot of saturated fat, but it's replacing beef burgers, which are also high in saturated fat.

This is a bit of a tangent, but I'm also super excited to see more products being made with engineered yeast (like the heme iron in this burger). The possibilities are practically endless, and it's one of the coolest real-world examples of basic biotech in food production.
Gregor Samsa wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:39 am If this burger delivers tastewise I give it a 10/10 (even if it's not that healthy!).
Totally agree.