FREEGAN VEGAN BEEGAN'S!?

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
PrincessPeach
Diet: Vegan

FREEGAN VEGAN BEEGAN'S!?

Post by PrincessPeach »

I've been hearing more and more about these so called freegan vegan's. I've heard stories that these freegan's steal food and animal products from stores and they think that it is okay to eat these things because; they have stolen them, they didn't have to pay for it they only choose to pay for vegan food and somehow they are under the impression that the store will lose money from their theft's.

Secondly, I've heard of these freegan vegan's eating things like roadkill/ animals that have died from natural causes.

I threw the word beegan in there because; IMO this is what we should call vegans that eat honey, BEEGANS get it and I am serious! ;) Yah your a beegan I've said it!

All jokes aside.

Stealing from stores is a serious issues in more ways than one.
Any high end retail chain store and even most small business's all have something in common, it's called insurance! Employee theft, retail theft, and yes even fires are all covered under these companies insurance depending on their plan. If you take a candy bar from the store and that candy bar costs say, $1.39 companies do not insure these products at face value, they insure their products for more than face value duh, usually double so the store you stole that candy bar from will get paid $2.78! Stores also usually check their inventory quarterly, every three months so while you're stealing a bunch of candy bar's the manager just see them as missing and will order more candy bars. You are actually making a way way worse impact, you'd be making less of an impact if you left those items alone. Also you are not stealing from the company that manufacturers the animal product directly you are stealing from the department store, gas station, whatever store you are in, they have already bought and paid the supplier for that product you are taking. So any one doing this please, please stop.

As far as road kill goes, leave that meat for the scavenger animals that prey for road kill to survive. Most humans can last up to 8 weeks with out food as long as they've had water, even if you where to be stranded/lost you could find your way home with out having to subdue yourself to eating a dead animal. If you have access to grocery stores for alternative food sources then why are you trying to morally justify your thirst for blood it's stupid!? You do not have a need for that meat or any meat for that matter.

How do you guys feel about this subject matter.

Do you agree/disagree with me

What is your opinion on this matter I want to know ! :)
Don't be a waste of molecules
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: FREEGAN VEGAN BEEGAN'S!?

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Shoplifting is not freegan; those people are an insult to the freegan principle.

Freegan is only living on things that would have otherwise legitimately gone to waste. Sometimes this means "stealing" from a dumpster, but not shoplifting.

Your description of insurance is wrong. Theft like this is called spillage, and is not covered by insurance. Only very large, abnormal, thefts that the store can not absorb the burden of would be covered by insurance. It's always more expensive for insurance to cover something (in terms of premiums) than to just pay for it if you can afford it.

Shoplifting does cost a store money, which is passed on to other consumers in terms of the retail price increase. In theory, the increased cost does discourage some consumers, but the relationship is NOT linear, particularly with staples. Stealing meat does NOT mean other people buy less meat in equal or greater deficits to that amount which was stolen, so it means an overall increase in consumption, for which the store pays, leading to an overall increase in animal death and suffering.

This is why freeganism is not morally useful in practice: people are idiots, and they don't understand the concept of economics, so they will misuse the principle and contribute to more suffering in the process.

The same principle applies to "rescuing" animals from labs; except in those cases, sometimes insurance does kick in.
PrincessPeach

Post by PrincessPeach »

brimstoneSalad wrote:Shoplifting is not freegan; those people are an insult to the freegan principle.

Freegan is only living on things that would have otherwise legitimately gone to waste. Sometimes this means "stealing" from a dumpster, but not shoplifting.

Your description of insurance is wrong. Theft like this is called spillage, and is not covered by insurance. Only very large, abnormal, thefts that the store can not absorb the burden of would be covered by insurance. It's always more expensive for insurance to cover something (in terms of premiums) than to just pay for it if you can afford it.
As much as I hate to admit this, I will and it's that I used to be an assitant manager at cumberland farms; a gas station.
I am not wrong you just misunderstood me.
Every quarter of the year inventory is taken and the accumulative theft loss is taken account for & if the number of merchandise taken has reach or acceded the business owners insured amount then yes the theft is covered under insurance !
This post is really to inform those vegan that steal candybars ect.. and think it's okay
People that steal aren't going to tell you they steal and they need to know these things.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

PrincessPeach wrote: Every quarter of the year inventory is taken and the accumulative theft loss is taken account for & if the number of merchandise taken has reach or acceded the business owners insured amount then yes the theft is covered under insurance !
If the theft is abnormal or extreme and affects the business' bottom line for that quarter, it's possible to collect insurance for it. However, this is bad business for normal spillage, particularly for a larger business that can afford to take occasional hits itself.
It's much more expensive to pay for something like that through insurance than just taking the loss, if it's an ongoing expense.

It sounds like whoever sold the owner of that store insurance made out well. It's bad business to claim ordinary and expected losses like that.

If they paid for spillage with insurance, then they were losing even more money on spillage than they would have if they had just absorbed the costs directly.
Insurance doesn't change the fact that a store is paying for it- it's just through premiums, and at a premium, rather than directly. It's the same though.
PrincessPeach wrote: This post is really to inform those vegan that steal candybars ect.. and think it's okay
People that steal aren't going to tell you they steal and they need to know these things.
I've seen vegans stealing vegan products, which is pretty bad too, since it increases the cost of those products (the sore has to pass on those costs), and might encourage people to buy animal based ones instead by making something that was even more expensive and stocked in a limited quantity even less affordable. Some stores will just stop stocking things if spillage is too high and not enough people are buying them.
PrincessPeach

Post by PrincessPeach »

brimstoneSalad wrote: I've seen vegans stealing vegan products, which is pretty bad too, since it increases the cost of those products (the sore has to pass on those costs), and might encourage people to buy animal based ones instead by making something that was even more expensive and stocked in a limited quantity even less affordable. Some stores will just stop stocking things if spillage is too high and not enough people are buying them.
Actually it would be too hard for most store's to keep inventory on every single item, that is why most inventory operating systems generalize the items to specific departments like, "grocery" and then group items into "candies" "chips" "soda" ect..
So when they look back at the quarterly sales they'll see the theft % and sales % in whatever department.
Most stores have no real idea who or what is really being taken, they just see the generalization at the end of the quarter and until then and even after then the manager of the store will continue to supply the store with what is being demanded ( items taken off the shelves )
So really if vegans are stealing vegan stuff it is not that bad for the vegan company because
A. The store that is selling the vegan product has already paid the company for the product
B. They are increasing the supply and demand for vegan product's; the increase in price would not happen if the demand was not there.

It's just dumb/stupid.

& one thing that is not covered under insurance is frozen foods, like meat
Twizelby

Post by Twizelby »

I think the concept of freeganism in regards to meat is okay with me. I only say this because I used to cook for a food bar and the amount of meat thrown away appalled me. I used to cook 200 whole rotisserie chickens a day!!! PLUS the chicken breasts and eggs that I used. It's really one of the majors reasons I went vegan, I thought about scale in regards to meat consumption and became curious with where it was all coming from. I had to throw out SOOO much meat that was perfectly fit for human consumption and really just had had enough. If I also wasn't aware that I threw bags of chicken blood in with the trash I might consider it myself. As for the side of the road animals...I think that where I live some of those animals should go to feeding impoverished people. If you are in dire economic disadvantage or food poor I'm all for it, if not I think I would like to see scavengers get it.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

PrincessPeach wrote: Actually it would be too hard for most store's to keep inventory on every single item, that is why most inventory operating systems generalize the items to specific departments like, "grocery" and then group items into "candies" "chips" "soda" ect..
So when they look back at the quarterly sales they'll see the theft % and sales % in whatever department.
That's a good point for a small store, but the thief would have to know how the store they're stealing from is keeping inventory.

For a small store that doesn't keep inventory by item in the computer system, though, it seems like they might still be able to figure it out. Like "we seem to restock a LOT more of these than we actually sell".
PrincessPeach

Post by PrincessPeach »

brimstoneSalad wrote:
That's a good point for a small store, but the thief would have to know how the store they're stealing from is keeping inventory.

For a small store that doesn't keep inventory by item in the computer system, though, it seems like they might still be able to figure it out. Like "we seem to restock a LOT more of these than we actually sell".
Like I said in the begging of the post "High end retail stores" not small stores, I am assuming that most vegans that steal would think it's more ethical to steal from "high end retail stores" and lessen the chances of them to steal from small independent stores, I am talking about big chains here not little stores.

High end retail stores like wal mart win dixx publix gas stations all have insurance for their dry food items, specifically more insurance for high risk jobs such as gas stations you are suppose to let the customer steal and not say anything because; A. Your life is not worth some one stealing a candy bar(if they're crazy enough to steal in front of you what else will they do ) and B. They wont tell you this but if enough people steal (which they do) most of the theft will be covered under insurance.
PrincessPeach

Post by PrincessPeach »

Twizelby wrote:I think the concept of freeganism in regards to meat is okay with me. I only say this because I used to cook for a food bar and the amount of meat thrown away appalled me. I used to cook 200 whole rotisserie chickens a day!!! PLUS the chicken breasts and eggs that I used. It's really one of the majors reasons I went vegan, I thought about scale in regards to meat consumption and became curious with where it was all coming from. I had to throw out SOOO much meat that was perfectly fit for human consumption and really just had had enough. If I also wasn't aware that I threw bags of chicken blood in with the trash I might consider it myself. As for the side of the road animals...I think that where I live some of those animals should go to feeding impoverished people. If you are in dire economic disadvantage or food poor I'm all for it, if not I think I would like to see scavengers get it.
Well I live in Florida and vultures are every where over here, road kill on my street doesn't last more then a few hours!

I say in regards with the meat that is left over from the restaurants that too should be feed to scavenger animals or carnivorous animals that are under human control(animals in zoo's or captivity).
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

PrincessPeach wrote: Like I said in the begging of the post "High end retail stores" not small stores, I am assuming that most vegans that steal would think it's more ethical to steal from "high end retail stores" and lessen the chances of them to steal from small independent stores, I am talking about big chains here not little stores.
They may say this, but it tends more often to be a slippery slope, and most seem to have no real compunctions in stealing from mom&pop type stores as well.

Many of these "high end" stores today have systems that automatically order items for restocking foremost based on purchases, rather than physical inventory count, so taking inventory primarily reveals spillage- theft of a specific item would be very transparent in those systems.
PrincessPeach wrote: High end retail stores like wal mart win dixx publix gas stations all have insurance for their dry food items,
Do you mean from their parent franchise companies? Because I don't really consider that insurance; it's more shifting profits around by the corporation. Although it may seem like insurance to the store owner, it's a different kind of beast.

Otherwise, they would not carry real insurance for common levels of spillage.