Supporting the Vegan Industry

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Jen
Diet: Vegan

Supporting the Vegan Industry

Post by Jen »

Tyson now owns like 5%stock in Beyond Meat. A pharmaceutical company just outright bought dayia. My knee jerk reaction was to boycott but then remembered that the demand for these products is a wonderful thing. Making these products more mainstream is a dream come true, as more people have access to them, veg or not.
Just wishing the world were different where animals were left alone.
This is how demand grows.

I understand some vegans won't support companies like Silk, and Boca because they are not strictly vegan owned. And I'd love to hear from them if any are around to respond. What is your response when you hear things like creating a demand for vegan products is important?
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Re: Supporting the Vegan Industry

Post by Jebus »

Tobias (The vegan strategist) wrote an interesting blog about this: http://veganstrategist.org/2017/07/31/vegans-shouldnt-boycott-daiya-cheese/

I tend to agree with him unless I have the choice between buying Daiya and an other more ethical vegan brand of similar price and quality.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: Supporting the Vegan Industry

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Jen wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:03 am the demand for these products is a wonderful thing. Making these products more mainstream is a dream come true, as more people have access to them, veg or not.
Right, it's very important. We also have to remember that companies are not people (whatever the government says) and that they don't really have consciences in the same way. They follow the money where that leads, and blaming them for that doesn't necessarily accomplish anything productive. We just have to make sure the money leads in a better direction.