How simular are Nazi concetration camps to the mass production of animal products?

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
zachadamcook
Diet: Vegan

How simular are Nazi concetration camps to the mass production of animal products?

Post by zachadamcook »

Hi, this is my first post so I think I will start with this topic. I posted a blog about this topic and someone commented on it saying animals are animals as if humans are more important so no it is nothing like the holocaust. I respect that person but I disagree myself I believe what made the holocaust so bad is the pain that follows treating a life form the way those people were treated (animal or not). As I type this billions of life forms are being treated in very similar if not worse ways than people were in the holocaust. They are both horrible situations in my opinion.

I think since the mass production of animal product causes so much pain and the pain is unnecessary then it is only logical that we stop producing animal product at least on such a big scale. Honestly, I would rather not do it at all because minimizing it is almost like saying hey lets only murder a couple people instead of millions. The only exception is for 3rd world countries, the people that could really use animal product because animal product packs in many more calories and there are so many starving people that could use that. Although at the same time they don't really need animal products specifically they just need food and if we produced plant based product on a big scale then we could feed them more efficiently with healthier product in a more ethical manner. This is all my opinion what do you guys think?
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: How simular are Nazi concetration camps to the mass production of animal products?

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Welcome Zach, you should post an intro if you can.

Interesting first post.
zachadamcook wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:50 am As I type this billions of life forms are being treated in very similar if not worse ways than people were in the holocaust. They are both horrible situations in my opinion.
In absolute terms, it may be worse. But we also have to consider that humans are more sentient and aware, so in relative terms it's hard to compare.
It's like the difference between putting an insect in a small box and putting a mouse in one; the insect will walk around as it did outside showing little signs of stress, while the mouse will be frantic and terrified from being trapped.

Awareness is key. Of course cows, pigs, and chickens are highly aware, so the conditions they are subjected to are nothing like those applied to an insect, but we have to think about the higher degree of psychological torment for human beings in those situations too when we compare them.
zachadamcook wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:50 am I think since the mass production of animal product causes so much pain and the pain is unnecessary then it is only logical that we stop producing animal product at least on such a big scale. Honestly, I would rather not do it at all because minimizing it is almost like saying hey lets only murder a couple people instead of millions. The only exception is for 3rd world countries, the people that could really use animal product because animal product packs in many more calories and there are so many starving people that could use that. Although at the same time they don't really need animal products specifically they just need food and if we produced plant based product on a big scale then we could feed them more efficiently with healthier product in a more ethical manner. This is all my opinion what do you guys think?
I think most people here would agree with that.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Re: How simular are Nazi concetration camps to the mass production of animal products?

Post by Jebus »

Welcome.

I believe a human living like a pig in a slaughter house would have preferred Auschwitz. The big difference is what motivated the people who imprison, and ultimately the chance of survival. Probably 99.99999% of those put in a slaughter house ended up dying there whereas many (perhaps even most) of those put in Nazi concentration camps ended up surviving.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.