Stopping youtube comments getting filtered?

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
iirtriiiokn
Diet: Vegan

Stopping youtube comments getting filtered?

Post by iirtriiiokn »

This might seem like a weird forum to post this in, but this is the best place I can think of to post this since there are probably people on here who have had the same problem as me, and might be able to offer some help.

I post quite a bit of comments in the youtube comments, having debates with people about veganism and nutrition, so I have to post a lot of links. I often check if my comments are still there on another account, but most of the time they get filtered into spam and I end up having to change stuff in the comment to get it to not be filtered, like replacing "." in links with "(dot)", but even one time that didn't even work so I just had to tell people what to google. It's also not always the links because one time I posted a short comment without links and It still got filtered.

Anyway I was wondering if anyone else does youtube comment debating and had the same problem as me, do you know why comments get filtered and are there any tricks to stop it happening?
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: Stopping youtube comments getting filtered?

Post by brimstoneSalad »

I'm afraid I don't know a way to avoid the crazy random algorithmic filtering for sure. Trial and error, basically. Google is pretty hush about its algorithms.

Maybe invite these people to the forum to discuss, if you think they're serious about debating. Carnists are of course welcome here (unlike on most vegan forums).

Beyond avoiding automatic filtering, you can also avoid censorship of the channel owner, and I think even from the original poster of the comment who can block people from replying to delete the thread? (I'm not clear on that last one)

Additional advantages of debating here are that the forum is easier to use for discussions and quoting, and there's higher visibility: search engines crawl and index the forum so the discussions can be found and read later by people searching the net, not so for youtube comments that are hard to search and might as well not exist in terms of how hard they are to find once the conversation is over.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Stopping youtube comments getting filtered?

Post by Red »

This is from personal experience, but all debates I've ever had in a comment section on YouTube just ended up with the other person deciding to be an asshole and start with name calling (eg pussy, hippie, etc.), which made me realize that the person I am talking with likely isn't invested in the discussion at hand, and is more interested in flaunting their beliefs. My advice is to pick your battles carefully, otherwise you'll end up wasting your time trying to convince someone who isn't interested in changing their minds. By all means though, if you ever get into another debate, invite them to come to this forum to debate; if they do, they'll see that (most) vegans are calm, friendly, rational people and aren't just crazies looking to kill people who eat meat.
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci