Questions about daily recommended nutrition values

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Jebus
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Questions about daily recommended nutrition values

Post by Jebus »

I'm trying to get a better understanding of these but have failed to find the answer to the following:

Is the FDA the only agency that give such values, and if so does the whole world follow the recommendations of this U.S. agency?

Isn't the FDA the same agency that issues the bullshit food pyramid? If so, how can we trust their recommended daily values?

Have the values changed significantly over the years as new research comes in?

Does a 50 kilo woman have the same recommended values as a 100 kilo man? Should individuals whose body size differs greatly from the average make adjustments to the values. If so how?
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: Questions about daily recommended nutrition values

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Jebus wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:01 am Is the FDA the only agency that give such values, and if so does the whole world follow the recommendations of this U.S. agency?
Various agencies. The FDA is responsible for food labeling, though, so those numbers are up to them. I don't know the details of the law for how they get them. I understand a lot comes from the food and nutrition board.

https://ods.od.nih.gov/Health_Information/Dietary_Reference_Intakes.aspx
These documents are issued by the Food and Nutrition Board of the Institute of Medicine, National Academy of Sciences. The Food and Nutrition Board addresses issues of safety, quality, and adequacy of the food supply; establishes principles and guidelines of adequate dietary intake; and renders authoritative judgments on the relationships among food intake, nutrition, and health.
That mostly just applies to the USA, but other governments have their equivalent governmental organizations which issue similar recommendations.
There's Canada, and I also know of the UK's and Japan's. They're all really very similar.
The only difference I know for the UK is the notable is the higher calcium recommendations in the U.S.
If I recall correctly, 1 gram a day vs. 700 mg for the UK and some other countries.
Jebus wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:01 am Isn't the FDA the same agency that issues the bullshit food pyramid? If so, how can we trust their recommended daily values?
No, that's the USDA. They're responsible for agriculture. They should not be responsible for giving diet advice.
However, they do tests on food products to determine the level of nutrients in them which is very useful... I believe they have the best database in the world for that.
Want to know how much lysine is in a cup of chickpeas? You probably have the USDA to thank for that.

It is bullshit how they promote meat and dairy. Promoting agricultural products is part of their mandate for some reason.
Jebus wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:01 am Have the values changed significantly over the years as new research comes in?
Yes, but usually not drastically. It's usually more tweaking, or establishing values for things we didn't have before.
There was a recent update, though:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reference_Daily_Intake
Most are almost the same. Notably, calcium was raised to 1.3 grams for some reason.
Those are teenager numbers, or pregnant and lactating numbers: https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Calcium-HealthProfessional/
Maybe they decided to adjust it to the highest requirement. Most people do not need that much, and if they're getting it from dairy (they probably are) they may even be harmed in the attempt.
Jebus wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:01 am Does a 50 kilo woman have the same recommended values as a 100 kilo man? Should individuals whose body size differs greatly from the average make adjustments to the values. If so how?
Depends on the table. It usually differs by sex and age, but for some things it differs by weight or height too, particularly calories.
I don't think as much research as been put into different needs of people who are just fatter.
It's safe to bet that nutrient needs scale roughly in proportion to calorie needs for the basal metabolic rate.