Dealing with Unsupportive Parents

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
RaspbeckyBeret
Diet: Vegan

Re: Dealing with Unsupportive Parents

Post by RaspbeckyBeret »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:47 am She should really respect your choices even without understanding/agreeing with them, though. Maybe you can talk to her about that.
That's a good point. I hadn't really thought about it that way. I may mention this to her.
Dream Sphere
Diet: Vegan

Re: Dealing with Unsupportive Parents

Post by Dream Sphere »

RaspbeckyBeret wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:41 am
Dream Sphere wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:13 pm By the way, welcome to the forum!

How was it being Vegan in Japan? I've heard that it's really hard to avoid fish there.

Also, I'm curious, did the interest in going to Japan stem from special studying opportunities, or do you also have an interest in Japanese culture? That would interest me somewhat since a couple of my favourite bands are Japanese and my user name actually comes from a song by one of them. Plus, learning about other cultures art is just interesting in general to me.
Thank you!

Being vegan in Japan is very difficult. There seems to be animal products in nearly everything, even the dishes where you wouldn't expect it. Fish, particularly fish flakes or broth, is difficult to avoid for sure. Being vegan at home is okay once you know what to shop/look for, but eating out is often a challenge. There are some fantastic vegan restaurants, though.
That's cool that Japan has vegan restaurants, I didn't know that. What sorts of foods do they serve there?
I have a great interest in Japanese culture! My major as an undergrad was East Asian Studies :) What are your favorite bands? Learning about other cultures is also very interesting to me.
Two of my favourite bands which happen to be Japanese are the avant-garde/experimental metal band called Sigh whose song title "Dreamsphere (Return to the Chaos)" I've taken part of as my username, and Kadenzza which is a symphonic black metal band whose sole member joined Sigh in 2015 to play some of the guitar parts on their 2015 album titled Graveward. One thing I really like about Sigh is that all their albums are very different from one another, though I'm doubtful of if you'd like them due to most of their vocals. If you wanted to try them anyways, the three albums best for beginners in my opinion would be Imaginary Sonicscape (the album that my song inspired name is from,) Gallows Gallery (which technically only has clean vocals, but the vocals and production are weird,) or In Somniphobia.

I don't know if you're into any metal at all, so if not, then those bands might not be something you'd be into probably due to their harsh vocals which are usually offputting to people who haven't yet acquired a taste for them. But, along with Sigh, my other most favourite band is the German band Blind Guardian who would probably be much more your speed than Sigh or Kadenzza since BG mostly uses melodic/clean vocals. Some songs from them that I'd recommend are "Nightfall," "Battlefield," "Fly," and the ballads "The Bard's Song - In the Forest," and "War of the Thrones."

So, what are some of your favourite pieces of Japanese, or other foreign culture?