What do I do with leather items?

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
thebulkingvegan
Diet: Vegan

What do I do with leather items?

Post by thebulkingvegan »

So I'm new to the forum and pretty new to veganism, and I'm torn with this one. I have some shoes, wallets, and even a leather jacket. I have read some things here and there and even asked this before but it was in a poll, so there weren't a lot of thoughtful/helpful replies. I don't know if I should give it away to friends or donate it. I don't really want to sell it because I think that isn't very ethical and I don't want to throw it away either because I think that's wasteful.
I want to read what people think about this and what you do with your leather items. Any feedback would be helpful. Thank you.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: What do I do with leather items?

Post by brimstoneSalad »

If you don't want it, I'd say sell it if you can and then donate the money to a vegan charity.
Otherwise, you could use it until it wears out if you don't mind the questions; it's actually a good way to explain pragmatism to people.
They accuse you of being hypocritical, and you can talk about waste, explaining it's fine to eat up what's left in the fridge too, and veganism is about not contributing further to harm, not about physical purity.

Or if you know a friend who is in the market for a leather whatever it is, giving it to that friend would prevent him or her from buying one.
Jamie in Chile
Diet: Vegetarian

Re: What do I do with leather items?

Post by Jamie in Chile »

I would dispute that selling it isn't very ethical, because selling it should in theory stop the production of 1 more belt/wallet or whatever and might even lead to less animal cruelty. It may be more ethical therefore to sell it that to continue to wear (debatable).

I've seen these discussions on vegan boards a lot and there isn't a very strong consensus but what consensus there is suggests that it is morally OK, and consistent with calling yourself a vegan, to keep and continue to use if you want.