SPIDERS!!

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.

To Kill or not to Kill, that is the question.

Kill the spiders with poison.
No votes
Try to sweep them outside. (some will die, but others may live.)
75%
Third option I hadn't considered.
25%

Total votes: 4

PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

SPIDERS!!

Post by PsYcHo »

I'm not afraid of spiders at all (I had several tarantulas as pets over the years, and even will pick up wild ones to save them from the asphalt squishing), but my shed has been overrun with them. My partner, however, is an arachnophobe. She has conceded to me to allow two spiders to inhabit our house, since they actively eat the small fruit flies that have also tried to co-exist with us. But if any insects come into her view, a shriek is heard followed by my name and "GET IT OUT!!!"

My issue is the shed. There are at least 20 spiders living there, with many egg sacs. I've considered two options. 1- Poison them for a quick death. 2- Try to use a broom to sweep the nests and spiders outside. I would prefer 2, but I'm concerned they may make it to our house and take up residence there. (And if they do, it will be spider armageddon. )
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.
_Doc
Diet: Vegan

Re: SPIDERS!!

Post by _Doc »

I voted before reading... I thought it was just general for a single spider. But, if it is something that big that changes things. The only other thought that pops into my head is to smoke them out? Otherwise, I might just poison them if it is that large of an infestation.
Its a nice feeling when people can agree on something. Don't you agree?
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

I would sweep the spiders out, or vacuum them up and dump them somewhere else. Vacuum would probably be easier.
_Doc

Post by _Doc »

Didn't even think of a vacuum. That's a good idea. I might have to remember that idea if I ever have that problem.
Its a nice feeling when people can agree on something. Don't you agree?
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum

Post by PsYcHo »

I hadn't considered vacuum. We just bought the house, and I don't even own a decent one yet, so the sweeping option may be the best.

Taxation is theft.
Jamie in Chile
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by Jamie in Chile »

I reckon sweeping and then deposit far from the house.

When I am alerted to a spider in the house, I go and get a cup and place it over the spider. I then slide a piece of paper, cardboard, mat etc underneath, trapping the spider. I then carry it and tip it outside. It seems to me that nearly all survive this process.

In Chile, there is one spider than can kill, which complicates things a bit. So I have to have a quick look first and make sure it isn't that one.
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum

Post by PsYcHo »

Jamie in Chile wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 8:16 am In Chile, there is one spider than can kill, which complicates things a bit. So I have to have a quick look first and make sure it isn't that one.
Wow, I'm impressed that you'd still rescue the ones you can. I once caught what I thought was a brown recluse spider, but it turned out to be just a common garden spider. Had to laugh because I was terrified at the time of being bitten (they aren't necessarily deadly, but they can be and will cause the skin to rot around the bite wound.)

I used to work in confined spaces, and it was common to encounter black widows. They tend to keep to themselves though, just like the imported orange widow.

If it were just me, I'd let the spiders stay as long as they weren't in a place that I needed to be. But it's really like a scene from the old movie "Arachnopobia". (dating myself here..) Webs and sacs EVERYWHERE..

Taxation is theft.