Vegan Leaflet

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Jaywalker
Diet: Vegan

Vegan Leaflet

Post by Jaywalker »

What should a vegan leaflet be like? MFA's leaflets look good, I think, though I could only find one design on their site (FRESH booklets, not a leaflet technically I guess?): http://store.mercyforanimals.org/details.php?productId=41

The first three pages are about the horror of factory farms, the following pages are about health, food alternatives and celebrity endorsement. Any other good leaflet designs you know of?

Is there anything missing there? Is it too many pages? I like the overall feel of it, but the word vegan isn't used at all, except in a quote on the back page. Is "vegan" really that intimidating? If so, should we name the forum "Philosophical Vegetarian"? :P

What do you think would be a better leaflet?
DarlBundren
Diet: Vegetarian

Re: Vegan Leaflet

Post by DarlBundren »

Jaywalker wrote:The first three pages are about the horror of factory farms, the following pages are about health, food alternatives and celebrity endorsement.
That's precisely what I would have avoided. Despite their cognitive dissonance, people already 'know' what's going on in the animal agriculture industry. I understand what they are trying to do by giving a name to that pig and so on, but – I think – showing those pictures will just result in a lot of people refusing to read further. What most people don't realize (at least, what I didn't realize at the time) is that vegans aren't always crazy hippies or dumb celebrities, but also reasonable, welcoming people. I would have tried to present a brief overview of the topic, quoting people such as Peter Singer (philosophy), Ginny Messina (health), J.M. Coetze (art), Bill Nye ( general science), Patrik Baboumian (sport) and Ezra Klein (politics). I would have also included a more 'reducetarian' message, showing how little dietary changes can spare a lot of suffering.

But, to be fair, their leaflet seems to be aimed at teenagers. Maybe they were just going for a completely different approach.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

I agree, the nutrition and eating out section is pretty good. It could probably also use some rebuttals to the common arguments, like B-12.

It starting with that shocking imagery may not make it as effective as an environmental or human argument.
The final point should probably be animal ethics instead of celebrities... particularly as some of them may not be vegan now.
Jaywalker

Post by Jaywalker »

DarlBundren wrote:That's precisely what I would have avoided. Despite their cognitive dissonance, people already 'know' what's going on in the animal agriculture industry. I understand what they are trying to do by giving a name to that pig and so on, but – I think – showing those pictures will just result in a lot of people refusing to read further.
I agree. Maybe they should have just reduced that section down to one page and put it last as Brimstone says. Personally I'm not that moved emotionally by still images or stories of named animals (it's a different story when it comes to slaughterhouse videos and things like that though).

Let's make a better leaflet. Do we have any graphics people on the forum? I'm a bit overworked this month, but I can try to put something together later. Would it be better to make it a single folded paper? It'd be cheaper and I'm not sure if extra pages are worth it.

Any other suggestions?
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

A single folded page may be easier, I'm not sure. A booklet style is also easier to control the flow of information, and people may be more likely to look at it as a book.

It takes one or two cuts, a little glue or staples, and a fold to make a booklet, vs. just a bifold or trifold for a paper flier. It's more expensive, but we can also account for how readily people will invest in opening it up and reading it.

We could do a study on this, I suppose, by presenting the same information in two forms and see which is received better.
Chances are, somebody has already studied this though. Maybe MFA did and that's why they chose that design? Not sure.

There are some comparisons of bifold and trifold (and Z fold?):
http://www.4over4.com/blog/5759/tri-fold-brochures-vs-z-fold-brochures-what-gives/
http://brochureguru.com/blog/choose-between-bi-fold-and-tri-fold-brochure-designs-carefully/

I haven't found any on booklets yet.

A nice thing about trifold is if we have three main points, we can give each a panel and it will be presented well. So, it may come down to our content.
DarlBundren
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by DarlBundren »

Jaywalker wrote:Would it be better to make it a single folded paper?
I'm not sure of how much information you can fit onto a single-folded paper but, as a rule of thumb, I would keep it as short as possible.
Last edited by DarlBundren on Thu May 25, 2017 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

DarlBundren wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 6:49 pm
Jaywalker wrote:Would it be better to make it a single folded paper?
I'm not sure of how much information you can fit onto a sigle-folded paper but, as a rule of thumb, I would keep it as short as possible.
We could use a larger page than 8.5 x 11, as long as it's still a standard size available at copy shops.