Determining the nutritional content of foods with high water content

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Jebus
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Determining the nutritional content of foods with high water content

Post by Jebus »

Previously I have compared the nutritional content of foods by looking at the values at 100 grams per food. I just realised this maybe faulty as many foods are high in water which I will simply pee out. This became obvious when I compared the nutritional values of 100 grams of raw tomatoes compared to 100 grams of sundried tomatoes. At a first glance,the sundried tomatoes were far superior to raw tomatoes with, for example, 14 grams of protein compared to only 1 gram for the raw tomatoes.Of course, as the sundried tomatoes do not contain much water they have a lot more calories per gram.

The best way to evaluate the nutritional content of different foods must therefore be to see how much one gets from the food at a certain number. say 100, of calories. Is anyone aware of any website that already has this information, as it takes quite a bit of time to figure that out manually for all the foods I eat.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
Jamie in Chile
Diet: Vegetarian

Re: Determining the nutritional content of foods with high water content

Post by Jamie in Chile »

I have seen a lot of figures that exclude water content, so protein+fat+carbs = close to 100%.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Jebus wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 8:27 am The best way to evaluate the nutritional content of different foods must therefore be to see how much one gets from the food at a certain number. say 100, of calories. Is anyone aware of any website that already has this information, as it takes quite a bit of time to figure that out manually for all the foods I eat.
Correct. You can do this in cronometer. First you have to enter an amount, but after that you can go to the calorie column, click on the value, and then change the calorie amount and it will adjust the grams automatically. This is very useful, and the main reason I use cronometer.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

Great. Thanks.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 2:48 pmYou can do this in cronometer. First you have to enter an amount, but after that you can go to the calorie column, click on the value, and then change the calorie amount and it will adjust the grams automatically. This is very useful, and the main reason I use cronometer.
I just started doing this. At the moment I am adjusting the grams until I hit 100 calorie which is ok but it would be quicker if I could input 100 calories right away. I tried your advice but am unable to change calories. Any idea what I may be doing wrong?
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

this doesn't work?
cronometercalorieset.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

Great. Thanks for the visual. Do you know if there is a limit to how many foods one can add.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Jebus wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:58 pm Great. Thanks for the visual. Do you know if there is a limit to how many foods one can add.
In a day? I don't know. I've never reached it if there is. If you hit it, you can just go to the next day.