Help raise awareness for vegan shoes, stop exploiting cows for leather

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
alina871
Diet: Vegan

Help raise awareness for vegan shoes, stop exploiting cows for leather

Post by alina871 »

The leather industry is not a byproduct of meat, its just as cruel as any animal industry, raising animals for their skin under the most brutal conditions.

Please sign the petition and help raise awareness for leather alternatives:
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Re: Help raise awareness for vegan shoes, stop exploiting cows for leather

Post by PsYcHo »

Hi!

I haven't read your link, since there are sooo many links online that aren't worth looking at. Your first line is accurate, but it only "preaches to the choir".

If you were to take a few main points that someone who isn't Vegan or has no idea how much cruelty goes into making leather could understand, I think it would lead to more people checking out the site you highlighted.

Keep it short, but throw in a few more facts in small sentences that expound on what you are saying. Remember, your goal is not to convince those who already agree, it's to get people who don't have an opinion yet to listen. :)
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Hi Alina, people really aren't supposed to post links like that on their first post. I hope you'll stick around for some conversation.

Good luck with your petition, although personally I think leather shoes are more of a distraction; people buy leather items maybe a couple times a year, and it's unlikely a person would use more than a couple cows worth of leather in a lifetime unless he or she is buying large amounts of leather furniture or car upholstery... but due to the price and how very sticky it is, I'm not sure how big that market is. I don't even see very many leather jackets around.

That said, there are already many accidentally vegan shoe options, and some good vegan shoe companies; maybe it would be better to support them, since this is a niche?
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

alina871 wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 11:33 amraising animals for their skin
I think this is misleading. I doubt the leather industry would continue if the beef/dairy industries were to end. However, the beef/dairy industries would definitely continue if the leather industry were to end.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.