Banned from Vegans United

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Jebus
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Banned from Vegans United

Post by Jebus »

I just got banned from the biggest Vegan Facebook page for offering suggestions on how vegans can feed their cats. It turns out this was a banned topic, as well as discussions about bivalves, honey, or any other topic that distracts veganism from having one united voice. Absolutely ridiculous.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Re: Banned from Vegans United

Post by PsYcHo »

Da fuQ?

I must ask, since cats are obligate carnivores, what did you suggest? (Unless it was feeding human infants to the felines, I don't see why a suggestion would warrant a ban??!!)

And also, why the hell would they ban someone for giving advice? Seems counter productive, since Veganism isn't the norm. (Even though I lean right on some political issues, a website I frequent that is far left routinely mocks Vegans, and it pisses me off. How the fuck do you want to seem morally superior to me for wanting regulation control, but mock persons who don't want a sentient being to be brutally slaughtered...?!! )

Damn Jebus. I know you and I don't agree on several points, but I agree that issues like honey and bivalves are definitely open to debate, and unity is great in a broad sense, but allowing people to have varying opinions seems more important.
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

Below you will see my final post. An admin blocked it and said she would allow it if I removed point 5 below. I refused and got in a dispute with the admin:

There are millions of feral cats because humans don't sterilise their companions and let them out of the house. This is a huge problem as these feral cats have had an enormous negative environmental impact. What do I suggest? I suggest educating people so they sterilise cats and don't let them out of the house.

With regards to those who already have cats at home, these are my recommendations:
1. Sterilise
2. Go to the nearest shelter and get them at least one friend to play with.
3. Get them used to walking with a leash and bring them outside as much as possible.
4. Never let them out of the house unattended.
5. Find a local butcher who will give you some meat scraps he throws away at the end of the day.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Such is unfortunately the case in many vegan groups, both facebook and forums.

People go there for a "safe space" where they won't be challenged by argument or controversial ideas.
I can understand it if it's a recipe group or something, but in a general discussion group it's ridiculous.
ModVegan

Post by ModVegan »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:12 am Such is unfortunately the case in many vegan groups, both facebook and forums.

People go there for a "safe space" where they won't be challenged by argument or controversial ideas.
I can understand it if it's a recipe group or something, but in a general discussion group it's ridiculous.
Word! That is one thing I really appreciate about this forum. I'd understand if that happened to someone on Francione's FB page (I've never posted anything there, but I've probably been pre-emptively banned. To me, a "safe space" is where you aren't going to deal with vicious personal attacks, name-calling and general bad behaviour. Talking about cat food? Puh-leez.
Lightningman_42
Master in Training

Post by Lightningman_42 »

ModVegan wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:19 pm
brimstoneSalad wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:12 am Such is unfortunately the case in many vegan groups, both facebook and forums.

Word! That is one thing I really appreciate about this forum. I'd understand if that happened to someone on Francione's FB page (I've never posted anything there, but I've probably been pre-emptively banned.
Pre-emptively banned? How would that happen? Do Franciobots hunt down vegan Facebook pages advocating anything not in accordance with the "6 Principles of the Alienating Approach" (or whatever Francione calls it), and then have them banned? :?
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil but because of those who look on and do nothing."
-Albert Einstein
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Lightningman_42 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:40 am
ModVegan wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:19 pm Word! That is one thing I really appreciate about this forum. I'd understand if that happened to someone on Francione's FB page (I've never posted anything there, but I've probably been pre-emptively banned.
Pre-emptively banned? How would that happen? Do Franciobots hunt down vegan Facebook pages advocating anything not in accordance with the "6 Principles of the Alienating Approach" (or whatever Francione calls it), and then have them banned? :?
Funny thing, I don't know if she's joking or not, he's so ban-happy I'd believe he goes out and finds people to ban because it makes him feel good.
ModVegan

Post by ModVegan »

Lightningman_42 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:40 am
ModVegan wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:19 pm

Word! That is one thing I really appreciate about this forum. I'd understand if that happened to someone on Francione's FB page (I've never posted anything there, but I've probably been pre-emptively banned.
Not sure, but they banned a friend of mine who mentioned me, and said that it was basically due to spreading "fake veganism" :lol: It's totally the inquisition over there. I've heard of safe spaces, but Franciobots are on another level.