Photos - What Are You Eating?

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
PrincessPeach
Diet: Vegan

Re: Photos - What Are You Eating?

Post by PrincessPeach »

Taco night!

Black bean tacos with blue corn shells saute'd onions and peppers, sesame seeds, salsa and lettuce..
Don't be a waste of molecules
PrincessPeach

Post by PrincessPeach »

brimstoneSalad wrote:
Sugar + water (just barely enough to dissolve the sugar when boiling, then boil off the extra) + oil + pan + heat + vigorous stirring/folding = caramel

Caramel isn't something you buy, it's something you do ;)

When it starts to get caramely, then add in the juicing waste and fold it together.
You'll want more juicing waste than sugar you used, probably.
It'll become a formable dough, if the juicing waste was dry enough.

Wow, I am trying this and I can not wait to!
brimstoneSalad wrote:
$2 for the whole pie would probably be my limit.
Really? I'd like to know how you shop for groceries. I'd love to bake a pie for $2.
brimstoneSalad wrote: I don't measure, but I'll try to approximate for you:

Dissolve two parts sugar in one part boiling water, mix in one part peanut butter, and one part canola oil, then three parts oat flour. Add vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, etc. to taste. Also add in any raisins or other nuts you want.

Just make sure the dough tastes good. If it's not sweet enough, dissolve more sugar in barely enough water to get it to dissolve when boiling.
If it's too runny, add more oat flour.
If it's too thick, add more oil or peanut butter, or soy milk if you want.

Generally speaking, if the dough tastes good, so will the cookies.

You can sub molasses for sugar, and it makes a stronger cookie.
If you add baking soda or baking powder, they might rise a little, but don't expect much out of them.

Aim for a pretty dry dough, which you can form into balls with your hands.
If it won't turn into balls, and crumbles instead, then it's too dry.
If it's sticking to your hands, it's too wet.

If it's too wet, the starch will set up with the moisture without rising and it'll just be kind of dense and mushy.
Not that that's terrible.

Most of the liquid should come from fat (the peanut butter, or canola oil), the water should only be enough to dissolve the sugar.
After I add sugar to the boiling water do I turn the heat down and then add the peanut butter and other ingredients?
Also what temp. do you cook them and for how long and how big do you make the dough balls?
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

PrincessPeach wrote: Wow, I am trying this and I can not wait to!
I understand that some people put the sugar directly into the pan without water and heat it really slowly to melt the sugar. This could work too.
I use a little water because it prevents the clumping and makes it easier to stir until all the water boils off.

You call tell when the water has boiled off... it's very apparent because it'll be fizzling really fast, and then dies down.
PrincessPeach wrote: Really? I'd like to know how you shop for groceries. I'd love to bake a pie for $2.
Sugar and oil are both very cheap. Juice waste is free, right?

Then you just have the filling to worry about.

Depends on what kind of pie you want to make, but I usually do cheesecake. That just means a few handfuls of nuts and some tofu/soymilk in a blender with some sweetener, a bit of lemon juice/yeast and some starch.

Using oil and lecithin can cut down the nuts a bit, and make it cheaper still.
I could probably make a pretty good pie for $1.

PrincessPeach wrote: After I add sugar to the boiling water do I turn the heat down and then add the peanut butter and other ingredients?
Also what temp. do you cook them and for how long and how big do you make the dough balls?
Make the dough balls any size you want. I usually squish them, unless they're really really small.

You mainly just need to dissolve the sugar. But if you want, you can boil off all the water and add the oil, and turn it into caramel before mixing in the peanut butter.

The peanut butter will mix really well into a warm liquid, if you keep it warm.

To mix the rest, take it off the heat. You don't want it too hot when you mix in the oat flour or it will cook before you put it in the oven. And also, it's hard to roll it into balls when it's too hot.

If you don't want to caramelize the sugar, then just dissolving it is fine.

If you caramelize the sugar, you may have to add a little more liquid after you mix in the peanut butter, since the water got boiled off.

Use as little water as possible if you caramelize sugar.
If you have a really thick bottomed pan, you can try without water (like a big cast iron pan).

Baking temperature... hot, until done?
350 for 15 minutes, maybe.

Keep an eye on them.

They'll need to cool in order to set up more fully, after you take them out.
PrincessPeach

Post by PrincessPeach »

brimstoneSalad wrote:
Baking temperature... hot, until done?
350 for 15 minutes, maybe.

Keep an eye on them.

They'll need to cool in order to set up more fully, after you take them out.

I am going to try this in the near future I will post pictures, I have been searching the internet for an easy cookie recipe.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

PrincessPeach wrote: I am going to try this in the near future I will post pictures, I have been searching the internet for an easy cookie recipe.
Just make sure to tweak and taste while you're making them. You can keep changing them until you bake. And don't be afraid to bake a few sample cookies first.

You can also vary the ratios cookie to cookie, and find out which turns out best.
Anon0045

Post by Anon0045 »

2014-08-17_14-02-53_511-compressed.jpg
My fifth attempt at making pizza or so. It's getting better. The bread was "airy", crunchy but thicker than I wanted and the edges were a bit too dry, but other than that, it was quite tasty. I got the tomato sauce from the store and almost used the whole jar about 350 grams.

Bread was made from:
6 dl flour
25 grams of yeast
2 tablespoons of oil
2½ dl of water
half a teaspoon of salt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PrincessPeach

Post by PrincessPeach »

Anon0045 wrote:
2014-08-17_14-02-53_511-compressed.jpg
My fifth attempt at making pizza or so. It's getting better. The bread was "airy", crunchy but thicker than I wanted and the edges were a bit too dry, but other than that, it was quite tasty. I got the tomato sauce from the store and almost used the whole jar about 350 grams.

Bread was made from:
6 dl flour
25 grams of yeast
2 tablespoons of oil
2½ dl of water
half a teaspoon of salt
::NomNom::
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Anon0045 wrote: My fifth attempt at making pizza or so. It's getting better.
Wow, that looks amazing.

I'm going to have to go make a little pizza right now...
PrincessPeach

Post by PrincessPeach »

Now I would never knowingly eat a brimstoneSalad but; I do thank you immensely for the recipe!
brimstoneSalad wrote:Dissolve two parts sugar in one part boiling water, mix in one part peanut butter, and one part canola oil, then three parts oat flour. Add vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, etc. to taste. Also add in any raisins or other nuts you want.
I sub. pb for home made cashew butter & added cinnamon and raisin's :)

We love eating sprout's!
These jars get empty fast!
The jar to the left is filled with sprouted lentils and mung beans, the jar on the right is filled with sprouted chic peas and black eyed peas.

::yum yum::
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

PrincessPeach wrote: Now I would never knowingly eat a brimstoneSalad but; I do thank you immensely for the recipe!
Looks good. Did it work out for you, or did you have to tweak the recipe much?

That was just my best guess, since I cook based on the look and feel of things, and tasting, rather than measuring.