Photos - What Are You Eating?

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
PrincessPeach
Diet: Vegan

Re: Photos - What Are You Eating?

Post by PrincessPeach »

TheVeganAtheist wrote:looks very tasty PrincessPeach. Im salivating

Why thank you I make three home made meals every day, my kitchen is never closed!

Looks like you have some good vegan restaurants near you, I have none!

This past valentines day I did drive about two hours away to go to a vegan restaurant and I had a vegan philly cheese steak like the one you have pictured.... I have been craving one for weeks since I saw yours and I can't find all the ingredients to make it!!

I'll mail you home cooked meal and you mail me a philly okay!? lol
Don't be a waste of molecules
Volenta
Master in Training

Post by Volenta »

PrincessPeach wrote:Looks like you have some good vegan restaurants near you, I have none!

This past valentines day I did drive about two hours away to go to a vegan restaurant and I had a vegan philly cheese steak like the one you have pictured.... I have been craving one for weeks since I saw yours and I can't find all the ingredients to make it!!

I'll mail you home cooked meal and you mail me a philly okay!? lol
I also would love to have one, those Vegan Philly Cheese Steak and Mock Fish look amazing. There's not much that I can get in my region, without making it very boring by asking to leave out the animal products.
PrincessPeach

Post by PrincessPeach »

Volenta wrote:I also would love to have one, those Vegan Philly Cheese Steak and Mock Fish look amazing. There's not much that I can get in my region, without making it very boring by asking to leave out the animal products.
Lol I can see it now,

"I'll take a philly cheese steak with only green pepper and onions, no bread, no steak, no cheese please! (oh and make sure they don't fry the peppers and onions I don't want cross contamination from the oil, I'll eat them raw!)"

or

"I'll take the fish and chips with no fish just chips put the seasoning that you use on the fish on the chips for me please?!"

lol...

I just don't go out to eat any more...

"There's egg in the bread darn, there's dairy in the sauce shit, there is egg in the veggie burger what a fucker, there is dairy in the salad dressing wtf, okay I'll just take some raw lettuce and squiggly carrots and cabbage then"
waiter :
"Are you sure that is what you want to eat that? Those are just for decoration purposes you know, to make the real food look better."
:slaps face:
PrincessPeach

Post by PrincessPeach »

Mung bean sprouts and spicy broccoli sprouts, I sprouted too many mung beans and they took over lol!

A favorite dinner of mine to make;
Basmati rice with steamed cauliflower steamed green beans
saute'd in safflower oil shiitake mushrooms, red onions, yellow squash and zucchini

Gluten free apple pie

I bought the gluten free pie crust, its the crumbly kind I didn't have much to choose from and thankfully it was vegan, I used green apples and covered them in vegan butter, cinnamon, brown sugar, and nut meg filled the pie dish up...
For the crust I used a gluten free oats, more brown sugar, and chopped up pecans!
PrincessPeach

Post by PrincessPeach »

Bamboo infused rice with steamed broccoli and cauliflower, saute'd in a teriyaki sauce oyster mushrooms, sweet red yellow and orange peppers, onions, and garlic.

Ohhh yum :)
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Broccoli sprouts?
Never done that; where did you get the seed?

Do you know how to make gluten free pie crust?
It's a shame to buy them; they're so expensive and the quality is never very good.
PrincessPeach

Post by PrincessPeach »

brimstoneSalad wrote:Broccoli sprouts?
Never done that; where did you get the seed?

Do you know how to make gluten free pie crust?
It's a shame to buy them; they're so expensive and the quality is never very good.

Whole foods for the sprouts the brand is botanical gardens, they have very good quality sprouts and seeds!

I have not risked trying to bake a gluten free pie crust, I fail at almost everything I try to bake gluten free...

The gluten free pie crust was $3.49 geesh ... and it didn't hold up well either it was a crumbly texture to begin with... but the taste was amazing, looks aside the pie came out great very crumbly and messy though.

I bake with brown rice flour usually, I always forget to use flax seed and I use egg replacers instead but they hardly ever work with my gluten free recipes....
I have not tried baking gluten free since I messed up a batch of cup cakes, they didn't firm up at all the batter leaked out of the muffin tins and all over my oven and it took me all weekend to clean my oven ~ you can't cook when you are cleaning your oven... So I've kinda given up on gluten free for a while, I do not want another batter disaster again..(the batter disasters happens when I try to bake cookies too it's just a little easier to maintain)
My sweets are just going to have to have a little bit of that bad gluten in them a while until I figure this shit out.. It's like you have to make your own almond and flax mill spend a bunch of money on expensive ingredients like extra nuts to make a gluten free sweet....
Too much time too much money, especially when you it fails, & it fails a lot for me at least =[
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

PrincessPeach wrote: I have not risked trying to bake a gluten free pie crust, I fail at almost everything I try to bake gluten free...
Use carrot juicing waste (the fiber that comes off) to make the pie crust. Just mix it with some caramel and cinnamon (to make it stick together and give it flavor).

PrincessPeach wrote:The gluten free pie crust was $3.49 geesh ... and it didn't hold up well either it was a crumbly texture to begin with... but the taste was amazing, looks aside the pie came out great very crumbly and messy though.
I wouldn't spend $3.49 on a whole pie, much less just the crust. That's insane.

If you need a crust, use juicing waste to make it. It will stand up to almost anything.

PrincessPeach wrote:I bake with brown rice flour usually, I always forget to use flax seed and I use egg replacers instead but they hardly ever work with my gluten free recipes....
Egg replacers aren't very useful. You have to modify the recipe. And use flax instead.

Also, brown rice flour isn't very good (it's poor nutritionally, and it's poor as a baking flour). Use Oat flour, buckwheat, or other higher protein flours.

Rice flour isn't useful for much of anything, IMO.

PrincessPeach wrote: I have not tried baking gluten free since I messed up a batch of cup cakes, they didn't firm up at all the batter leaked out of the muffin tins and all over my oven and it took me all weekend to clean my oven ~ you can't cook when you are cleaning your oven... So I've kinda given up on gluten free for a while, I do not want another batter disaster again..(the batter disasters happens when I try to bake cookies too it's just a little easier to maintain)
If you want to make something particularly "fluffy" you need to use runny batter and use Xanthan gum, or another comparable gum to let them firm up when they set. This is more tricky, and requires some experimentation.

Even I wouldn't expect to necessarily get it right one the first go.

I mostly just bake more dense gluten free stuff, like pizza crusts/pie crusts, and unleavened desserts and breads. Don't make anything that has to be thick (more than about a half an inch).
PrincessPeach wrote: My sweets are just going to have to have a little bit of that bad gluten in them a while until I figure this shit out.. It's like you have to make your own almond and flax mill spend a bunch of money on expensive ingredients like extra nuts to make a gluten free sweet....
Just buy a cheap tub of Quaker oats, the old fashioned kind (you don't really need to pay for instant).
Put some in the blender for a few second (pick up your blender and manually shake it while it's running), and you have oat flour.

Oat flour + sweetener + oil (or peanut/nut butter/meal) + a little liquid + oven = cookies.

I'm not sure if I've ever spent more than a couple dollars to make enough cookies for 40 people.

Gluten isn't terrible, though, as long as you aren't sensitive to it.
Provided somebody can digest it, I don't see a good reason to avoid it.
PrincessPeach

Post by PrincessPeach »

brimstoneSalad wrote:
Use carrot juicing waste (the fiber that comes off) to make the pie crust. Just mix it with some caramel and cinnamon (to make it stick together and give it flavor).
I have yet to find vegan caramel please indulge me, I miss it so! Juice wasting really makes a crust? Is it just carrot wasting that will hold up? I usually juice carrots with apples and beets, would I have to use plain carrot waste?
brimstoneSalad wrote: I wouldn't spend $3.49 on a whole pie, much less just the crust. That's insane.

If you need a crust, use juicing waste to make it. It will stand up to almost anything.
I am talking American dollars here, haha. But really you wouldn't pay $3.50 for an entire 8" pie? That's about .44 cents a slice, not bad if you ask me.

brimstoneSalad wrote: Egg replacers aren't very useful. You have to modify the recipe. And use flax instead.

Also, brown rice flour isn't very good (it's poor nutritionally, and it's poor as a baking flour). Use Oat flour, buckwheat, or other higher protein flours.

Rice flour isn't useful for much of anything, IMO.

If you want to make something particularly "fluffy" you need to use runny batter and use Xanthan gum, or another comparable gum to let them firm up when they set. This is more tricky, and requires some experimentation.

Even I wouldn't expect to necessarily get it right one the first go.

I mostly just bake more dense gluten free stuff, like pizza crusts/pie crusts, and unleavened desserts and breads. Don't make anything that has to be thick (more than about a half an inch).

Just buy a cheap tub of Quaker oats, the old fashioned kind (you don't really need to pay for instant).
Put some in the blender for a few second (pick up your blender and manually shake it while it's running), and you have oat flour.

Oat flour + sweetener + oil (or peanut/nut butter/meal) + a little liquid + oven = cookies.

I'm not sure if I've ever spent more than a couple dollars to make enough cookies for 40 people.

Gluten isn't terrible, though, as long as you aren't sensitive to it.
Provided somebody can digest it, I don't see a good reason to avoid it.
Thank you for all the advice, I bought some xanthan gum after the incident I just haven't tried it, maybe give me a recipe to try and I'll post a picture of it on here that will make things more interesting !
Brown rice flour has failed me every time, I have a pantry full of oats so I will try your cookie recipe is sounds so easy would you mind giving the measurements you use?
Cooking for someone with hypothyroidism, avoiding gluten seems to be helping with energy levels and mood, also the stomach has slimmed down, no one can complain about that!
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

PrincessPeach wrote: I have yet to find vegan caramel please indulge me, I miss it so!
Sugar + water (just barely enough to dissolve the sugar when boiling, then boil off the extra) + oil + pan + heat + vigorous stirring/folding = caramel

Caramel isn't something you buy, it's something you do ;)

When it starts to get caramely, then add in the juicing waste and fold it together.
You'll want more juicing waste than sugar you used, probably.
It'll become a formable dough, if the juicing waste was dry enough.
PrincessPeach wrote: Juice wasting really makes a crust? Is it just carrot wasting that will hold up? I usually juice carrots with apples and beets, would I have to use plain carrot waste?
I would stick to just carrots.
Okara left over from soy milk is fine too.

Apple juice waste would be OK if you remove the seeds before you juice.
Beet, I'm not sure about.
You can try it, it will make your crust very red.
PrincessPeach wrote: I am talking American dollars here, haha. But really you wouldn't pay $3.50 for an entire 8" pie? That's about .44 cents a slice, not bad if you ask me.
$2 for the whole pie would probably be my limit.
PrincessPeach wrote: Brown rice flour has failed me every time, I have a pantry full of oats so I will try your cookie recipe is sounds so easy would you mind giving the measurements you use?
I don't measure, but I'll try to approximate for you:

Dissolve two parts sugar in one part boiling water, mix in one part peanut butter, and one part canola oil, then three parts oat flour. Add vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, etc. to taste. Also add in any raisins or other nuts you want.

Just make sure the dough tastes good. If it's not sweet enough, dissolve more sugar in barely enough water to get it to dissolve when boiling.
If it's too runny, add more oat flour.
If it's too thick, add more oil or peanut butter, or soy milk if you want.

Generally speaking, if the dough tastes good, so will the cookies.

You can sub molasses for sugar, and it makes a stronger cookie.
If you add baking soda or baking powder, they might rise a little, but don't expect much out of them.

Aim for a pretty dry dough, which you can form into balls with your hands.
If it won't turn into balls, and crumbles instead, then it's too dry.
If it's sticking to your hands, it's too wet.

If it's too wet, the starch will set up with the moisture without rising and it'll just be kind of dense and mushy.
Not that that's terrible.

Most of the liquid should come from fat (the peanut butter, or canola oil), the water should only be enough to dissolve the sugar.