Counting my nutrients

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Jebus
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Counting my nutrients

Post by Jebus »

Since a week I've been weighing all my food and counting the nutrients. I learned a lot that I didn't know such as how easy it is to get enough vitamin C without consuming citrus fruits. I would encourage anyone who hasn't yet done so to do the same as to ensure that everything is ok. These are my daily average values for the micros and macros I checked.

Weight of food: 1900 g
Protein 230 g
Sat fat 36 g
Sodium 1800 mg
Sugar 17g
Omega 3 9816 mg
Omega 6 26430 mg

Micros (percentage of daily recommendation)
Vit A 142%
Vit C 323%
Vit E 161%
Vit K 518%
Folate 594%

Calcium 125%
Zinc 298%
Magnesium 423%
Selenium 683%
Iron 394%

Obviously I don't have any deficiencies to worry about, but need I worry about too many vitamins and minerals? Brimstonesalad recently mentioned that one can get too much folate and selenium. Should I cut back on these?
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Re: Counting my nutrients

Post by miniboes »

I think this looks fine, you've got yourself a damned healthy diet. If you were a carnist i'd worry about the iron, but since you're not it's heme iron and it's probably not harmful.

Could you describe what you eat in a day?
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

miniboes wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:56 amCould you describe what you eat in a day?
Morning:
A "smoothie" containing water, broccoli or kale, red cabbage, cinnamon, cocoa powder, saffron root, and walnuts
+ a bowl which contains 1 cup of soaked flax seed mixed with cocoa and cinnamon powder.

Lunch:
A wholemeal pasta. What I put in the pasta varies from day to day but generally it contains walnuts, goji berries, a peanut sauce made from soy milk and peanut butter, garlic, nutritional yeast, sometimes onions.

Dinner:
Homemade flatbread made from either wholemeal flour, rye flour, or buckwheat flour. What I put in the bread varies from day to day, but either lentils or beans, olive paste, garlic or onion, lettuce, and a slice of vegan cheese (the Sheese brand).

I go out to restaurants about twice per month which is the only time I eat something unhealthful, except for when I travel and I eat in restaurants 2-3 times per day
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

I forgot to mention that I try to put as much spices as possible, such as Oregan, Thyme, Curry or Rosemary as these are packed with nutrients. I also take a teaspoon of Apple Cider Vinegar with each meal. I drink about 5 litres of beer per week but i am trying to replace that habit with home grown Savika marijuana.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

That's pretty impressive.

400 mcg is considered the tolerable upper intake for selenium. Where are you getting so much from?
Personally I'd reduce to 400, but if you have no symptoms of brittle nails hair loss etc. you may be fine because you're not much over and you eat a lot of bulk which may reduce your absorption.

There is no established upper limit for folate from food, only supplements.

Replacing the beer with eaten weed will help quite a bit, thc causes brain damage too, but that should help protect you from liver damage and it will be fewer empty calories. It's hard to imagine somebody drinking that much beer on an otherwise healthy diet..
Replacing it with meditation or LSD would be better.
miniboes wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:56 am I think this looks fine, you've got yourself a damned healthy diet. If you were a carnist i'd worry about the iron, but since you're not it's heme iron and it's probably not harmful.
I think you meant it's not heme iron.
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

brimstonesalad wrote: I think you meant it's not heme iron.
Yeah, I couldn't remember and I was on my phone so I flipped a coin mentally.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
DarlBundren
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by DarlBundren »

Jebus wrote:+ a bowl which contains 1 cup of soaked flax seed mixed with cocoa and cinnamon powder
Soaked in water? Just flax seeds, cocoa and cinanamon?
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:41 pm400 mcg is considered the tolerable upper intake for selenium. Where are you getting so much from?
Most of it comes from the wholemeal flour. I can easily drop to below 400 by replacing some of the wholemeal flour with buckwheat flour.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

DarlBundren wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:58 pm
Jebus wrote:+ a bowl which contains 1 cup of soaked flax seed mixed with cocoa and cinnamon powder
Soaked in water? Just flax seeds, cocoa and cinanamon?
I remove the water first and use the oily substance in the bottom as my hair gel. It's not exactly a taste sensation but it goes down quickly.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Jebus wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:24 pm
brimstoneSalad wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:41 pm400 mcg is considered the tolerable upper intake for selenium. Where are you getting so much from?
Most of it comes from the wholemeal flour. I can easily drop to below 400 by replacing some of the wholemeal flour with buckwheat flour.
Oh, no, I re-read what you wrote. You listed percent.
You're well under 400 mcg. 727% is the max you want.

You're fine.
The cronometer bar for Selenium actually turns red if you go over 400 mcg.