Easter, Monotheism, Veganism, Animal life...

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
VGnizm
Diet: Vegan

Easter, Monotheism, Veganism, Animal life...

Post by VGnizm »

We are on the doorsteps of Easter and I cannot help but make note of the fact that it is a festivity originally inspired by monotheistic religions. This thought brought to mind some very interesting observations about meat consumption and religion in our history. Those monotheistic faiths together represent the largest religious community in the world; Mainly Judaism, Christianity and Islam. Therefore it seemed to me interesting to look with a little more detail at the theological attitude these religions have towards animal meat as food and see how it relates to Veganism.

It is a known fact that even though meat consumption is permitted in these faiths it is subject to very strict processes and procedures (rituals if some prefer). I will speak in general terms and not get involved in specific details. I will just affirm that the three religions have a common heritage and since these religions are basically defined as divine laws and recommendations they in a certain way build upon each other and share fundamental elements. So we do know at least 2 things about animal meat consumption as per these religions. One is that the type of animal meat that is valid for human consumption is limited to animals that have split hoofs and that are ruminant (chew their cud). This basically limits the category to herbivore animals. In addition to that a ritual slaughter has to be practiced that has many specific details. There are other details but those 2 are the broad lines.

So in the first case it becomes clear that meat eating is not at all considered to be a basis for human nutrition but rather an exception. I say that because for plant food the only criteria is whether the food is healthy or unhealthy but no type is specified. It says to eat from all fruits and vegetables at will. But for animal meat why would that of a chicken be different than the meat of a vulture? I am speaking in technical terms only not theological. So clearly there is a lengthy process that distinguishes the type of meat that is authorized for human consumption. On the second hand there is the ritual process of converting the animal into food. Again it has to be done in a certain way by a person who has certain qualifications. Again I will side track details but make note of the complicated process. From this I can extrapolate the following conclusion very easily. If followers of the faith are in a natural environment and are not able to access all of the requirements for them to eat meat then they should not eat meat. So I would say that eating meat is not considered a natural means of sustenance for humans as per these monotheistic faiths. Again I do not wish to talk about details but I will consider that the Old Testament and the New Testament are part of the same book and that the Quran includes most of the laws and teachings of that book.

In view of this I ask myself how many common reasons do these faiths and veganism share as regards animal meat consumption on the moral and health levels?

I would appreciate input and feedback on all fronts from those who know more about the subject as well as personal opinions in the hope of confirming certain attitudes we have about animal life and food.

And I will take this opportunity to wish a Life Loving Easter to all!
Be Strong Be Vegan !
Life Loving Foods™ ! - https://www.LifeLovingFoods.com/index.php :)
Life Loving Foods™ - Twitter! - https://twitter.com/LifeLovingFoods :)
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Re: Easter, Monotheism, Veganism, Animal life...

Post by Jebus »

VGnizm wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:15 amIt is a known fact that even though meat consumption is permitted in these faiths
There are so many different ways one can interpret the scriptures. The Adventists see it differently and do not permit meat consumption.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
VGnizm

Post by VGnizm »

- Thanks Jebus. I had no idea and it is quite interesting. :)
Be Strong Be Vegan !
Life Loving Foods™ ! - https://www.LifeLovingFoods.com/index.php :)
Life Loving Foods™ - Twitter! - https://twitter.com/LifeLovingFoods :)
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

It's more than that. A careful reading of the old testament shows clearly that a vegan diet was the one intended by god in the garden, and would be the ultimate diet in the kingdom to come. Man was granted temporary permission to eat meat as an exception in his fallen state due to necessity in a harsh world. If it is no longer necessary for us (it isn't necessary today) then those exceptions should no longer apply if you are obeying ther spirit of the law instead of looking for textual loopholes.

This is a pretty good video from a Christian who knows his scripture:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_eAhKIwaj70