Omega-3 from fish obligatory?

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Cloppy
Diet: Meat-Eater

Omega-3 from fish obligatory?

Post by Cloppy »

So I heard omega-3 from flaxseed wasn't really good enough from this page: http://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-health/why-not-flaxseed-oil
For omega-3 is fish obligatory or not? Are there other ways to get it. I'm not really vegan right now, but I would like to know. I might not even go vegan but more like I'll still eat seafood, eggs and dairy, but no meat. I was vegan a few times before by the way and I feel better this way, because it makes me eat more fruits and vegetables that I don't eat often. So yeah I would like to know about what is explained on this link.

" It's a backup, not a substitute, for the omega-3s in fish and fish oil because of the conversion factor. If you're in need of omega-3s but are concerned about mercury, fish oil capsules might be a good choice. "
Jebus
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Re: Omega-3 from fish obligatory?

Post by Jebus »

If you are a woman you have nothing to worry about provided that you are controlling your Omega 3 to 6 balance.

If you are a wealthy man you may want to take algae oil supplements (one 250mg EDA/DHA pill every two days should be enough).It's probably not going to make a difference in the end but if you have money to spend then go for it to optimise future cerebral function.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYAjD6gDS4g
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
Cloppy

Post by Cloppy »

Jebus wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:07 pm If you are a woman you have nothing to worry about provided that you are controlling your Omega 3 to 6 balance.

If you are a wealthy man you may want to take algae oil supplements (one 250mg EDA/DHA pill every two days should be enough).It's probably not going to make a difference in the end but if you have money to spend then go for it to optimise future cerebral function.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYAjD6gDS4g
Well, I'm not wealthy. So I guess fish is the only way, right?
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

Cloppy wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:25 pmWell, I'm not wealthy. So I guess fish is the only way, right?
Sure, if you want to poison yourself.
Cloppy

Post by Cloppy »

Jebus wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:37 pm
Cloppy wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:25 pmWell, I'm not wealthy. So I guess fish is the only way, right?
You're talking about the mercury, right?
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

Cloppy wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:28 pm
Jebus wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:37 pm
You're talking about the mercury, right?
For some reason I get the feeling that you didn't bother watching the video I posted for you.
Cloppy

Post by Cloppy »

Jebus wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:23 pm For some reason I get the feeling that you didn't bother watching the video I posted for you.
Oh, sorry. I didn't notice the link! I'll watch it now.
Cloppy

Post by Cloppy »

So I guess it's really just a matter of choice if you're not wealthy. You can either get it from fish and poison yourself or not get it from it but both are not good. What would be the best choice between those 2?
Jamie in Chile
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by Jamie in Chile »

Cloppy wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:55 pm So I heard omega-3 from flaxseed wasn't really good enough from this page: http://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-health/why-not-flaxseed-oil
For omega-3 is fish obligatory or not? Are there other ways to get it. I'm not really vegan right now, but I would like to know. I might not even go vegan but more like I'll still eat seafood, eggs and dairy, but no meat. I was vegan a few times before by the way and I feel better this way, because it makes me eat more fruits and vegetables that I don't eat often. So yeah I would like to know about what is explained on this link.

" It's a backup, not a substitute, for the omega-3s in fish and fish oil because of the conversion factor. "
I disagree with the conclusion of this rather lightweight article. It seems to think that the plant-based Omega 3s do not provide enough EPA, DHA, and yet studies have shown that conversion rates are better for vegans and vegetarians.

I think fish is not obligatory for omega 3 but that people should either
1. Eat quite a large amount of seeds/nuts for ALA.
and/or
2. Get a supplement.
and/or
3. Do a blood test for EPA/DHA

I am now against fish eating personally because of the devastation of the oceans, because of the bycatch issues, the pain suffered by dying fish, and it being wrong to take a life for food, even a fish.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Cloppy wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:55 pm So I heard omega-3 from flaxseed wasn't really good enough from this page: http://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-health/why-not-flaxseed-oil
For omega-3 is fish obligatory or not?
It is not. That article is from 2006, but if you read the whole thing carefully (the "bottom line" is misleading) you'll note that the issue is only conversion factor.
As long as you eat a little extra omega 3 from plant sources, your body should convert plenty of ALA into DHA and EPA. This is particularly true if you are younger.

If you are middle aged, you may want to take a DHA supplement. Algae oil DHA supplements are not that expensive if you take them at the levels recommended; price has come down significantly lately. It's probably not necessary, but it's going to be cheaper than fish unless you have a source of free fish. There's no reason to eat fish.

Ginny Messina also answered the question here:
http://www.v-lish.com/ask-the-dietician-do-we-need-to-eat-fish/
The bigger issue is that fish provides the long chain omega-3 fatty acids DHA and EPA. These are found in very few other foods. Our body can convert another fatty acid, called ALA, into these long chain fats, though. ALA is found in plant foods like walnuts (as in Scampi Pasta with Asparagus and Walnuts), canola oil and flaxseed meal. So technically, if we eat enough ALA, we can make DHA and EPA. The truth is that conversion is not especially efficient. So people who don’t eat fish tend to have lower blood levels of DHA and EPA.
But does it matter? That’s the big question. DHA and EPA may help protect against chronic disease but the research on this if very conflicting. And, even if they offer some protection, it’s not clear that people who are already eating a healthy vegan diet need that protection.
Many vegans do like to include DHA and EPA in their diets, though, so they use supplements of these fats that are derived from microalgae. And since this is exactly where fish get their DHA and EPA, it’s a perfectly reasonable and healthy way to get these omega-3 fats.
So skip the fish. Instead get vitamin D the same way the rest of the world does—through regular sun exposure or with a daily supplement providing 600 IUs. And consider a supplement that provides 300 milligrams of DHA and EPA combined two or three times per week.
In other words, extra DHA and EPA may be medication against a problem people eating a healthy vegan diet don't really even have.
Meat eaters NEED more DHA and EPA like a stunt bike rider needs a helmet. Vegans probably don't need the extra; that would be like expecting pedestrians to wear a helmet despite much lower risk.
Cloppy wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:55 pm I might not even go vegan but more like I'll still eat seafood, eggs and dairy, but no meat.
That's great that you're excluding land animal meat. Every little bit makes a difference.

If you're eating a lot of eggs and dairy and are not vegan, then you probably do need extra DHA and EPA to protect against heart disease.
Alternatively, you can cut out the eggs and dairy (or reduce to once a month or so if you aren't ready to cut them out), then you won't need the extra DHA/EPA as long as you eat some plant based omega 3.
At least until you're middle aged or older. It's safer to supplement if you're older, because not all older people can convert ALA well.
Under 40, I'd say don't worry about it.

Cloppy wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:55 pm " It's a backup, not a substitute, for the omega-3s in fish and fish oil because of the conversion factor. If you're in need of omega-3s but are concerned about mercury, fish oil capsules might be a good choice. "
Fish oil capsules can still be rich in cholesterol and lipid soluble contaminants. Algae based is just much cleaner for anybody, vegan or meat eater alike.