Omega-3 from fish obligatory?

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Cloppy
Diet: Meat-Eater

Re: Omega-3 from fish obligatory?

Post by Cloppy »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:44 pm It's probably not necessary, but it's going to be cheaper than fish unless you have a source of free fish. There's no reason to eat fish.
I looked online and yeah it's pretty expensive but last long so I guess in the end it would be cheaper, but like eggs and dairy, fish is not something that is simple to quit for me. Meat was easy because I don't like it so much. Well, I like it but not at a point that I will miss it. I don't even think about it and the only time I was eating it is if someone offered me some. So far I'm not even thinking about being vegan, but it's nice to know that at least there is a possible way to get the good omega-3.

As for source of free fish, if I'm fishing, the cost is very low but still not totally free.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Cloppy wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:29 pm I looked online and yeah it's pretty expensive but last long so I guess in the end it would be cheaper,
My meaning was more cost per day was not high, yes.
Cloppy wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:29 pm but like eggs and dairy, fish is not something that is simple to quit for me.
The right thing isn't always easy. In some ways it means a lot more because it's hard. And it says a lot about your moral character to achieve such a hard won victory over a vice.

Compare somebody who quits smoking (a great act of will power to do the right thing) vs. somebody who quits using candles (which took like no effort at all, and even saved trouble of lighting them). Both are harmful (smoking and candles), but one was a more heroic act against a powerful craving, the other trivial.

And not everybody can do it over night. If you enjoy those things and have strong cravings, it may take time to reduce them and to search for alternatives. Step by step you can make it. We're glad to help with any advice or suggestions you want.
Cloppy wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:29 pm As for source of free fish, if I'm fishing, the cost is very low but still not totally free.
If you are only eating fish that you catch yourself, then there's a potentially powerful economic argument for eating fish.
Although it still takes time to catch fish, and "time is money" if you have the potential to get a job (if the economy is OK where you live) and earn income in those hours instead of fishing.

Anyway, I'm glad to help. I hope you'll work on reducing. Every little bit helps.
Jamie in Chile
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by Jamie in Chile »

I think eggs are one of the cruelest foods along with meat and fish. If you're looking at this from a moral perspective I would reduce that. If someone could calculate an amount of suffering and death per unit food, I think eggs would do badly. At least with cheese and butter the cows have a relatively less bad life and a smaller number of animals are affected per unit food.

If you really can't give up eggs, can you try vegan eggs and see if you like them, or try and find someone with backyard/allotment hens. The majority of the cruelty in eggs is in the way the industry works, rather than the fact that it's so fundamentally cruel to take an egg. What I'd find hard to support is someone eating large amounts of factory farmed egg (even though I used to do it myself).

It's great that you are looking at the issues and willing to at least reduce the amount of animal products you consume.