We are what we Eat?

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
VGnizm
Diet: Vegan

We are what we Eat?

Post by VGnizm »

It is the start of a weekend and almost 1 month now of being a vegan. I know it is a short time in days but quite long in its implications. It truly has had an impact on many aspects of my life, be it physiological, psychological or philosophical :)

So it made me think that the only thing that has really changed on a tangible level is my food habits. I know that there is the empathy for animals and life but quite frankly it is not a novelty and I note that I was not a meat eater because I wanted or accepted animal suffering, it was simply because I was oblivious to it or perhaps took it to be normal because of my acquired lifelong habits of eating meat. So I cannot assume more than the food habits as a major and remarked change. So the famous saying “We are what we Eat” came to my mind and I started thinking in more detail about its intended meaning. I did not want to go and Google it for answers as I prefer usually making use of my own faculties and then researching. This helps me have an unpolluted point of view on the issue and therefore perhaps some useful insight(s).

So on the physiological level obviously we do assimilate the nutrients and other material elements in food and they definitely must influence our physiological state of being. I will go further to say that they can provide gastric well or un-well being and further they can make us sick or not. So yes we can definitely apply ‘We are what we Eat’ on a physiological level.

Now I will try to apply this on a psychological level. It is much more delicate but I will try to find some anchors from my personal past observations. I recall finding it very amusing when I walk in the open air markets of Paris, there are bi-weekly open air markets in Paris that are a collection of booths which serve mostly fresh food items and other products and are called ‘ un Marché ‘, to note the very obvious differences between vendors. The reason I rely on the experience in the Marché is because the booth owners are people of the trade, meaning the meat booth is run by a butcher by trade and since it is his personal business activity it is something that person has been doing all of his life. I observed, and that was long before ever becoming vegan, that a cheese booth manager is very different in his attitude and even complexion than the fish booth and the butcher etc. And what re-enforced this more was the fact that they are often family run and so there is often the wife and perhaps a child as well and the same applied to the others.

So if we tend to assimilate from the food we manipulate and consume enough elements for them to have an impact on us in something subjective such as an attitude, again it is not a question of good or bad at all, then ‘We are what we Eat’ seems to also apply on the psychological level.

As for the philosophical level it is obviously clear that there is a direct impact on the way we perceive life and this impacts our understanding of things so I would assume there is definitely the case.

Now the question I am asking myself is if eating produce that comes from an environment that is full of pain and suffering would transfer to us in a direct or indirect way some elements of that suffering? It might be far-fetched but we do know that physiologically, pain and suffering does make organisms secrete certain hormones that obviously will be consumed by us. Would there be enough of an argument to say that we are actually negatively impacting our bodies and minds by consuming that type of food?

This is very important as it has enormous implications. As such I would ask all who can contribute to kindly do so and my Life Loving thanks in advance,
Be Strong Be Vegan !
Life Loving Foods™ ! - https://www.LifeLovingFoods.com/index.php :)
Life Loving Foods™ - Twitter! - https://twitter.com/LifeLovingFoods :)
DarlBundren
Diet: Vegetarian

Re: We are what we Eat?

Post by DarlBundren »

I don't know if things such as adrenaline or cortisol secretions can survive cooking temperatures. They might, but I am not aware of any study that documents such correlation.

However, if you eat unwashed fruits or raw, uncooked meat, you can get infected by T. gondii. T.gondii is known for modifying the behaviour of the warm-blooded animals that host it. For example, it increases the chances of rats of being predated by cats. And there may be some correlation between T.gondii and a number of neurological disorders in humans too. It's not really an answer to your question though. ;)
Last edited by DarlBundren on Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VGnizm

Post by VGnizm »

Actually it is a very valid answer. The value is in that it bridges a very important gap and that is how to make people become animal cruelty conscious from a self-pity rather than just from empathy. Obviously there is always the boomerang effect argument that whatever suffering is initiated will generate a negative effect that will sooner or later impact everyone's life etc. This is much more effective if it can be established that there is a direct personal health impact from eating meat that is produced by cruel conditions. At the very least it will help reduce the cruel conditions in which livestock are raised. Something similar to consumers switching to free range chicken and eggs.

I think for the next days i will spend my extra time researching and updating this thread as i think it can define a very effective and scientific campaigning option.
Be Strong Be Vegan !
VGnizm

Post by VGnizm »

- I would like to share the following link which is very relevant to this topic:

http://www.naturalnews.com/044286_steroidal_hormones_livestock_human_consumption.html
Be Strong Be Vegan !
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

VGnizm wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:19 am - I would like to share the following link which is very relevant to this topic:

http://www.naturalnews.com/044286_steroidal_hormones_livestock_human_consumption.html
Unfortunately, natural news isn't a good source; they post a lot of pseudoscience, so while some articles might be true, it's impossible to know. We'd have to follow to the original source if possible.

I don't think there's a very credible argument about hormones from animal suffering (the stress hormones), although there are hormones in animal products that could in theory affect people (sex hormones and growth hormones).

More importantly are the substances in meat, like high levels of saturated fat and methionine, which may stimulate hormone production in the body, increasing aggression and possibly reducing empathy.
Maybe there are even epigenetic components? If the body eats meat, it may be programmed to become more aggressive and less empathetic from that in order to enable the food acquisition behavior. If the body eats plants, aggression and low empathy may not be as useful, and the body may produce hormones that increase empathy and reduce aggression for evolutionary purposes.

It's all very speculative, though. There was a prison where inmates were fed vegan or vegetarian and it was reported aggression went down. No idea how rigorous it was.

The main thing I think we can argue are the psychological effects.