Your saturated fat intake should be no more than 7% of your total calorie intake

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
miniboes
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Re: Your saturated fat intake should be no more than 7% of your total calorie intake

Post by miniboes »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:07 pm Heart disease/stroke is much more predictable.
As long as your numbers are very good and fall in the "heart attack proof" range, I wouldn't worry about it too much.
So you agree with the forks over knives people that heart attacks and strokes are basically preventable? I haven't found a reason to doubt that claim but it seems too good to be true.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: Your saturated fat intake should be no more than 7% of your total calorie intake

Post by brimstoneSalad »

miniboes wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:39 pm
brimstoneSalad wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:07 pm Heart disease/stroke is much more predictable.
As long as your numbers are very good and fall in the "heart attack proof" range, I wouldn't worry about it too much.
So you agree with the forks over knives people that heart attacks and strokes are basically preventable? I haven't found a reason to doubt that claim but it seems too good to be true.
With possible rare exception for very unlucky genetics, yes. I see cardiovascular issues as both preventable and (if you catch it early enough) reversible with diet and lifestyle.

You have to choose your risk level, though. Not all vegans are going to want to live a lifestyle with negligible risk in that respect. You might want to eat vegan cheeses or icecreams some times. Or you might have a fondness of coconut and cashews. Your risk will still probably be lower, but you won't be quite out of the game.

Cancer is another matter entirely. You can reduce your risk, but it's always going to be significant from just having a functioning metabolism and existing in the world.