What does a Vegan eat in the street?

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
VGnizm
Diet: Vegan

What does a Vegan eat in the street?

Post by VGnizm »

Today’s subject is quite basic and yet very important. I was invited to have breakfast at a Hotel and there was a buffet. Lucky me one would think. A 5 star breakfast 🙂 But it was actually quite otherwise!

There were many delicious foods but with my Vegan goggles i suddenly saw famine 🙁 Well there was nutrition but beyond a bun and some jam, a glass of juice or some fruit there was nothing to eat. Worse I am someone who is not into sweet food. Ethnically I am used to salty breakfasts; eggs, cheese, olives and beyond..

So my thinking took me one step further and I asked myself what options do I have? Actually what options do Vegans have? What Vegan friendly non-sweet food could they propose? Again what could I ask them to prepare for me that would fit my appetite if just slightly?

And then my activist spirit was aroused by my food suffering and it occurred to me that this is a real obstacle to spreading Veganism. If we want to reduce animal suffering then we have to help people find food options. People can more easily understand helping animals than they can understand extreme food sacrifice.

Preaching about Veganism under this type of duress is going to be a major problem. Also knowing that the affluent tend to be the more inclined to adopt this lifestyle for a number of reasons it is quite important to find solutions.

Does anyone have any ideas for simple yet effective solutions to address this issue? Maybe activists should consider offering food lessons to hotels and restaurants about the importance of implementing food solutions? Please share some insight about how to advance this cause.
PurpleMystical

Re: What does a Vegan eat in the street?

Post by PurpleMystical »

I do not even try to 'change' restaurants anymore. I'll call them a-head of time and see if the kitchen can cook-up something ahead of time (i.e if they know I'm going to be there they have time to prepare). I'm surprised they didn't have peanut butter (but than again most are way too sugary). But really, it's something that isn't going to change unless a lot of people call and request. That's all we really can do.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: What does a Vegan eat in the street?

Post by brimstoneSalad »

You're very right, and that could be a great means of activism. Just getting a good vegan option on the menu that's satisfying means everything to some people.

For breakfast, scrambled tofu (have you had it?) is a good option, but there aren't many other savory breakfast foods aside from the mock meats.