OTC Medicine = Vegan?

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
EquALLity
I am God
Diet: Vegan

OTC Medicine = Vegan?

Post by EquALLity »

If you have really bad menstrual cramps If you have, say, a headache, do you think it's vegan to take medicine like Tylenol that has gelatin derivatives? Because you don't actually NEED it, it'll go away, but what if you have a REALLY bad headache?

What do you guys think?
Apparently liquid Tylenol is vegan, but let's say you don't have that at the moment...
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: OTC Medicine = Vegan?

Post by brimstoneSalad »

There are usually options without gelatin.
If you can't get them, and you're in a lot of pain, it's up to you. People have different pain tolerances. It's not like you're eating it for enjoyment.
Pain is a pretty serious issue and I don't think most people would think twice about taking medicine made from murdered babies to get rid of it.

That is, I think this is one of those cases where people can probably relate better if you take the medication, rather than don't.
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:26 pm There are usually options without gelatin.
If you can't get them, and you're in a lot of pain, it's up to you. People have different pain tolerances. It's not like you're eating it for enjoyment.
Pain is a pretty serious issue and I don't think most people would think twice about taking medicine made from murdered babies to get rid of it.

That is, I think this is one of those cases where people can probably relate better if you take the medication, rather than don't.
I would hope that most people would think twice about that. O_O

I don't know what relating to people has to do with this? I mean, if someone asked me if I thought it was vegan and if they should do it, I would say yes. I just have different standards for myself.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

EquALLity wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:56 pm I don't know what relating to people has to do with this? I mean, if someone asked me if I thought it was vegan and if they should do it, I would say yes. I just have different standards for myself.
Oh, sure.
Well, if you can deal with it -- try a heating pad -- without meds that's up to you.

I would say the amount of gelatin in them is probably very very small, and gelatin itself is a byproduct. But money still is going into the animal agriculture industry for that stuff.
I would find gelatin free options, personally, or avoid the medication (which usually has other side effects too).
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:01 pm
EquALLity wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:56 pm I don't know what relating to people has to do with this? I mean, if someone asked me if I thought it was vegan and if they should do it, I would say yes. I just have different standards for myself.
Oh, sure.
Well, if you can deal with it -- try a heating pad -- without meds that's up to you.

I would say the amount of gelatin in them is probably very very small, and gelatin itself is a byproduct. But money still is going into the animal agriculture industry for that stuff.
I would find gelatin free options, personally, or avoid the medication (which usually has other side effects too).
A heating pad?
Oh, so that's not what I thought that was. Well, I still don't have it, soooo that's not really an option. I'm going to try to get liquid Tylenol. I'm ok with the side effects, that's probably not a big deal.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

A very hot bath, in a pinch.