"Arguments for Consuming Animal Products"

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
rcjones
Diet: Vegan

"Arguments for Consuming Animal Products"

Post by rcjones »

I'd be interested in hearing people's thoughts on a recent essay from philosopher Bob Fischer:
http://www.bobfischer.net/Fischer%2C%20Bob%20-%20Arguments%20for%20Consuming%20Animal%20Products.pdf?attredirects=0&d=1
knot
Master in Training

Re: "Arguments for Consuming Animal Products"

Post by knot »

Just read the conclusion. Sounds about right!
4. Conclusion
There is, I think, a good case for eating some animal products, albeit not most of the ones you’ll find at your local restaurant or grocery store. Instead, there appear to be good reasons to eat roadkill, bugs, bivalves, in vitro meat, animal products that will be wasted, and the bodies and byproducts of animals that live full, pleasant lives—that is, it seems we have good reason to eat unusually. What’s more, we can justify such consumption without ignoring the welfare and respect-based concerns that have long motivated those who advocate for animals.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Post by brimstoneSalad »

knot wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:15 pm Just read the conclusion. Sounds about right!
4. Conclusion
There is, I think, a good case for eating some animal products, albeit not most of the ones you’ll find at your local restaurant or grocery store. Instead, there appear to be good reasons to eat roadkill, bugs, bivalves, in vitro meat, animal products that will be wasted, and the bodies and byproducts of animals that live full, pleasant lives—that is, it seems we have good reason to eat unusually. What’s more, we can justify such consumption without ignoring the welfare and respect-based concerns that have long motivated those who advocate for animals.
No on that last one, it's still profoundly inefficient and damaging to the environment. Animals should not be bred for such purposes (rescue animals are another matter, perhaps).
And, of course, there is the problem of commercialization and the inevitable corner-cutting along with impossibility of perfect oversight.
knot
Master in Training

Post by knot »

I assumed he was referring to animals on sanctuary farms, or maybe pets