seriously need help

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Cypher Punk
Diet: Vegan

seriously need help

Post by Cypher Punk »

Ok this is going to sound like a Joke, but please hear me out. I want to lose some weight, (bout 20kg) and have decided to see if a vegan diet will help. It's been just 10 dats of being a vegan and its all falling apart, I have been constantly hot and sweaty like a constant hot flush since about day 3 and my mood is messed up also I am really on edge lately. I have seen my doctor and he said "go on a diet, just not a vegan one" (yes seriously). The trouble is I have tried other meat diets and all have failed, so this really is clutching at straws to lose weight. Here's what I ate today, Fruit salad for breakfast, vegan stir fry for lunch and I am going to eat spinach daal for dinner. Why do I feel this bad?
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Re: seriously need help

Post by Red »

Woah, woah, woah, slow down.
First, let's ask a few questions.
What else are including in your diet? Is that all? Try getting some beans and multivitamins in there. How much are you exercising? Do you have any preexisting medical condition? And if I were in your situation, I'd consider finding a new doctor right away, since this one doesn't know what they are talking about.
Last edited by Red on Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

Anyone else have any suggestions?
-Leonardo da Vinci
Cypher Punk

Post by Cypher Punk »

Apart from the weight issue I have no other medical issues, what I wrote us exactly what I ate over a 24 hour period, no snacks or anything else. Why would I need multi vitamins? Surly I can get the nutrients I need from a plant based diet. My goal is to keep this vegan diet for at least 30 days if I am fit, healthy and lose some weight then I will stick with it for life, but the way things are going that's not looking so good. Obviously people go on a vegan diet for many years without issues, why am I falling apart after just 10 days? What healthy things should I eat at snack on? Remember that once I ahead the weight I can eat something bad every now and then like corn chips and salsa but until the weight is off its absolutely no treats.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

Well, you are on a vegan diet, just not on a proper vegan diet. Beans, nuts and greens are the way to go. Get all that, and you won't feel like shit anymore. What you had the other day was good, just not good enough. Not only that, you need more calories. Snack on fruits, nuts, and veggies so you don't become malnourished.

There are plenty of reasons why you should take multivitamins, but for me at least, it's to ensure I am getting all of my proper vitamins.
-Leonardo da Vinci
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Multivitamins are a good safety net.

It sounds like you might be allergic to something you ate, though. Is there anything you ate that you have not eaten before?
My recommendation is to transition over more slowly, replacing foods one by one.

You may also be eating too low calorie. Too large of a deficit could make you feel bad. You need to eat fewer calories, but you shouldn't go too low.

Can you clarify better exactly what you ate, and the amounts?
Just "stir fry" doesn't tell us much.

You will need to stick to it for more than a month to see meaningful results, because in order to make it sustainable you will probably have to take almost that long to transition. Sudden changes in diet can be shocking to your digestive system.
Once you're on a healthy vegan diet, then you should start seeing good results within a couple months.

Slow and steady wins the race.
Cypher Punk

Post by Cypher Punk »

Things seem to have sorted themselves out a bit I have introduced some mushrooms to the diet that seems to have settled it about 80% but there is still 20% bad not sure what to do. Are nuts a safe option for weight loss?
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Nuts are fine and can help with weight loss, you just have to watch overall calories.
JordanDunn

Post by JordanDunn »

Stir fries can get a bit oily and greasy, i personally prefer my veggies cleaner, not saying they're bad but you might want to makesure your not consuming too much oil. just makesure your eating a wide variety of fruits, veggies, beans, nuts, seeds, starches, for b12 consider supplementing or eating fortified foods, most plant milks already are, then you should feel good unless you have any specific allergies. in terms of actually losing weight i cant help you as i'm not an expert but surely your best bet is to eat as healthy as you can.