Most Disliked Foods/Ingredients?

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
PiggyOfDoom
Diet: Vegetarian

Re: Most Disliked Foods/Ingredients?

Post by PiggyOfDoom »

SaintRegisMohawk wrote:Unless you need to show everyone how intelligent and morally superior you are, I don't think a long winded response/scolding was necessary. :roll:
I am not trying to show off my morality or intelligence, I'm just trying to point out my opinion and reason why I don't like these foods.
There's no innocence, just levels of guilt. We all once stole a quarter; We all once scarred someone.
Indigo Monkey
Diet: Vegan

Post by Indigo Monkey »

I absolutely detest soy in most of it's forms. The milk is disgusting, tofu makes me quiver with most of the preparation styles. It's like coagulated mucus for me. :?

Like VA I also extremely dislike aniseed (licorice) and water chestnuts.

Other than that, I can't think of any single ingredient that strikes me as detestable, other than combinations of flavours for instance, savoury/umami with fruit (sweet/sour).
il\/l

All sentient creatures deserve to live long and prosper.
Indigo Monkey

Post by Indigo Monkey »

SaintRegisMohawk wrote:He just asked a simple question-any foods you don't like. Unless you need to show everyone how intelligent and morally superior you are, I don't think a long winded response/scolding was necessary. :roll:
I find this post highly unnecessary, and very hypocritical judging by the post it was referring to. The OP was descriptive, which should not be misconstrued as pretension. Actually, if i'm honest you exhibited the very trait you were scolding: pretense.
il\/l

All sentient creatures deserve to live long and prosper.
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

SaintRegisMohawk wrote:He just asked a simple question-any foods you don't like. Unless you need to show everyone how intelligent and morally superior you are, I don't think a long winded response/scolding was necessary. :roll:
To whom is this directed?
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Indigo Monkey wrote:I absolutely detest soy in most of it's forms. The milk is disgusting, tofu makes me quiver with most of the preparation styles. It's like coagulated mucus for me. :?

So, basically a tofu and water chestnut dish flavored with Anise would be cryptonite for you?
That actually sounds pretty yummy! :D

(By the way, anise isn't licorice, it just tastes kind of like it and is used as a cheaper replacement sometimes.)
PiggyOfDoom

Post by PiggyOfDoom »

miniboes wrote:To whom is this directed?
He's referring to me apparently "scolding" and "giving a long-winded response". :|
There's no innocence, just levels of guilt. We all once stole a quarter; We all once scarred someone.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

PiggyOfDoom wrote:He's referring to me apparently "scolding" and "giving a long-winded response". :|
Other than sequence you have no reason to believe he was referring to your post. My guess is he just read the first couple of posts on the first page and then clicked reply.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
Dream Sphere

Post by Dream Sphere »

Indigo Monkey wrote:I absolutely detest soy in most of it's forms. The milk is disgusting, tofu makes me quiver with most of the preparation styles. It's like coagulated mucus for me. :?

Other than that, I can't think of any single ingredient that strikes me as detestable, other than combinations of flavours for instance, savoury/umami with fruit (sweet/sour).
If you think soy milk is bad, rice milk is like that but multiplied exponentially. On the other hand, the two motherless milks I love are almond milk and flax milk.

I've always disliked the softer tofus, but I've come to enjoy the "extra firm" type. Though, I've gotten out of eating it as I've come to love tempeh; another soy product, quite similar to tofu. So, if it's the texture you dislike about tofu, (which it seems to be,) then tempeh could possibly appeal to you much more. It's like a thicker, denser, more grainy type of tofu, though it's sometimes a little bit harder to marinate well, so it might be worth cutting it thinner than you would tofu before soaking it in whatever you'd like to flavour it with.
Lightningman_42
Master in Training

Post by Lightningman_42 »

I despise the taste of:
-Red olives :x
-Green olives :|
-Kalamata olives :x
-Sundried tomatoes :?
-wasabi :oops:
-umeboshi (pickled plums) :cry:
-nattou (fermented soybeans) :shock:

I like the taste of black olives, but can't seem to tolerate any other type of olives...
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil but because of those who look on and do nothing."
-Albert Einstein
Alex55hp

Post by Alex55hp »

- Ginger
- Tomatoes
- Really spicy foods
“If slaughterhouses had glass walls, we would all be vegetarian.”
― Paul McCartney