Most Disliked Foods/Ingredients?

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
EquALLity
I am God
Diet: Vegan

Re: Most Disliked Foods/Ingredients?

Post by EquALLity »

Alex55hp wrote:- Ginger
- Tomatoes
- Really spicy foods
Is that tomato sauce too? That must be annoying.
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
Alex55hp
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by Alex55hp »

EquALLity wrote:
- Tomatoes
- Really spicy foods
Strangely, I absolutely adore tomato sauce. :P
“If slaughterhouses had glass walls, we would all be vegetarian.”
― Paul McCartney
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

Alex55hp wrote:
EquALLity wrote:
- Tomatoes
- Really spicy foods
Strangely, I absolutely adore tomato sauce. :P
Heh, for me it's the other way around: i love tomatoes but hate tomato sauce.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

Alex55hp wrote: Strangely, I absolutely adore tomato sauce. :P
miniboes wrote:Heh, for me it's the other way around: i love tomatoes but hate tomato sauce.
Interesting, hahaha.
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Tomatoes/tomato sauce, easy fix: Just gradually cook them more and more (or less and less) until tomatoes become sauce or sauce becomes tomatoes. You'll learn to like the opposing end of the spectrum in a few months' time.
Dream Sphere

Post by Dream Sphere »

Dream Sphere wrote:Five off the top of my head are,

Onion
Kale
Any sort of salad dressing (I always have salads plain)
Pistachios
Mushrooms

So, I've managed to knock three of these off of my disliked foods list. I actually quite enjoy onions, kale, and pistachio nuts now. I still haven't had a salad dressing that I've liked, though. Also, according to my parents, when I was a child I loved mushrooms, so hopefully I can reacquire that liking of them as well, pretty soon.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Dream Sphere wrote: So, I've managed to knock three of these off of my disliked foods list. I actually quite enjoy onions, kale, and pistachio nuts now. I still haven't had a salad dressing that I've liked, though. Also, according to my parents, when I was a child I loved mushrooms, so hopefully I can reacquire that liking of them as well, pretty soon.
That's great news, congratulations!

What about mushrooms and salad dressing do you not like? And what kinds? Is it taste or texture?
Dream Sphere

Post by Dream Sphere »

brimstoneSalad wrote:
Dream Sphere wrote: So, I've managed to knock three of these off of my disliked foods list. I actually quite enjoy onions, kale, and pistachio nuts now. I still haven't had a salad dressing that I've liked, though. Also, according to my parents, when I was a child I loved mushrooms, so hopefully I can reacquire that liking of them as well, pretty soon.
That's great news, congratulations!

What about mushrooms and salad dressing do you not like? And what kinds? Is it taste or texture?
Probably the main factor in either is my ignorance to the different kinds available to me, inexperience, and a few specific poor experiences with either food, so I think I really just need to give them some more chances and they should probably click pretty quickly.

I'm not sure how much nutritional benefit the average salad dressing can give to a salad (I've heard of flax seed dressing and I would guess that would be pretty good,) but since I don't need a salad dressing to enjoy the taste of a salad like a lot of people, I've never really tried exploring the different kinds. I've had some mini-salads as a side to my main meal at a Vegan restaurant, which are basically red cabbage with some sort of vinaigrette on top, and I don't mind it and have started to come around on it. I once had a salad at a restaurant that was otherwise excellent except for the lemon-something salad dressing they put on which made the parts most covered by the dressing pretty awful. The texture of the dressing is probably the lesser factor in it being unappealing to me, it's typically the strong condiment-like flavours they have I find. Also, even when I wasn't Vegan, I still found those sorts of dairy heavy dressings revolting, and in those cases the texture was also pretty unappealing to me.

With mushrooms, I'm even more ignorant to how they taste as I don't think I've eaten one in over a year. I would guess the texture would be a larger factor in my dislike of them compared to the reasons I have for salad dressing, but I'm gonna get myself to try a variety of some mushrooms quite soon, just to see how I like them now. Them being pretty nutritious is also a motivating factor. So, as I had kinda mentioned earlier, I think finding healthier types of these foods would motivate me further to give them more chances to grow on me and become enjoyable. So, I should probably take some time to find out which types of these two foods have better nutrition, especially since I have very little knowledge on which salad dressings might be better for that.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

For salad, usually the only thing worth eating is a light vinaigrette or a creamy dressing you make yourself -- say, tofu in a blender with some spices you like, so it has some nutritional value.

The oily nasty ones, of course, there's no reason to bother liking them. I agree there.

Mushrooms, definitely good reasons to like them. Hopefully your experiments are fruitful!
caLRo

Post by caLRo »

I don't like eating raisins by themselves, but the real dislike comes from the fact that they always put raisins in places where they don't belong. Cereal X has been marketed as a healthy choice, because it contains fruit: raisins?! Give me a break.
Enjoying a mystery meal on a wobbly bridge between Veganland and Meatland. Care to cross the bridge halfway to have lunch with me?
(Away/hiatus, back by mid-august)