Most Disliked Foods/Ingredients?

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
PrincessPeach
Diet: Vegan

Re: Most Disliked Foods/Ingredients?

Post by PrincessPeach »

TheVeganAtheist wrote:
Before this thread came up, I've never mentioned it. Rather than having people get discouraged, I'd suspect that it would show that Im human and I like/dislike food items too. Ive tried vegan food that was bland or disgusting in the past, and a person happened to try something awful (and vegan) one time, they may think that all vegan food tastes bad. Its perfectly normal to have preferences, and I don't see what the big deal is. Id think it would scare more people off if you advocate that you have to like all vegan food.
Your are correct unfortunately people are stupid, I couldn't even finish watching this video of a vegan couple they're pretty popular too, and they are advocating not eating garlic&onions because it makes your breath smell bad, really because of that?
NOW
You are not doing that in any way... but people are stupid and follow stupid things..
&& because the vegan atheist doesn't like licorice well neither do I, get what I am saying?
Don't be a waste of molecules
Anon0045

Post by Anon0045 »

TheVeganAtheist wrote: id imagine that makes being vegan quite challenging. Im curious, what do you eat? Do you force yourself to eat things you dont like?
No, not really. There's always pasta, rice, bread, bean products like falafel, soy burgers, fruits, and so on. The spices are doing a lot. You can buy ready made spices which comes with recipies. Just replace the animal products with what you like.
Neptual

Post by Neptual »

I absolutely hate corn. It serves no purpose on Earth to look and taste disgusting. But seriously I really do hate corn it has no nutritional value and it's in everything!
She's beautiful...
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

dan1073 wrote:I absolutely hate corn. It serves no purpose on Earth to look and taste disgusting. But seriously I really do hate corn it has no nutritional value and it's in everything!
Little nutritional value- that is, you couldn't subsist on it, since it's mostly starch.

Blue and red varieties of corn have substantial nutritional value, though.

Tortillas and chips, be they blue (ideal), or a more devoid variety, are still a great way to deliver beans into one's mouth.

I'm a pretty big fan of corn products, and I like it for its agricultural yield in particular (even the poorer varieties). The starch and syrup can be used to grow yummy yeast, if nothing else ;) And then there are bioplastics, ethanol, etc.
DDDx8

Post by DDDx8 »

I never liked tomatoes. Sometimes I don't notice them and don't get absolutely disgusted by them in T.L.Ts. But yeah, I just hate their flavor. Just to answer in advance: No, I don't like ketchup, never really cared for red sauce pasta or pizza. I do, however, like salsa which is primary tomatoes and prefer it over guacamole which is weird cause my diet consists mainly of avocados.

What else do I hate? Spicy stuff.....so I guess any ingredient that is spicy.
To find the world of shoulds so one day others might not have to suffer like the people in the world now.
LogicLover

Post by LogicLover »

brimstoneSalad wrote: I also see it as a moral failing- when we are picky about food that is otherwise vegan and healthy, and refuse to eat it on grounds of personal preference, it makes veganism seem more like a trivial matter of taste from an outside perspective, and makes us just look like picky eaters who are trying to mask that pickiness with pseudo-ethical sophistry.
I actually understand where you're coming from on this, but I wouldn't consider it as a moral failing on the part of the vegan who is picky about food they don't like the taste of. I think it is wonderful when people are willing to try any healthy and ethical food regardless of any previous bad experience with a similar sounding food. Our taste buds change and they reject today, may be desired in the future. By avoiding whole food or food containing an item that we had issue with in the past, we deny ourselves the possibility of gaining a new food item on our list of foods we love!

I think this issue has more to do with most humans feeling safer with familiar surroundings, than it has to do with morality?
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

LogicLover wrote:I think this issue has more to do with most humans feeling safer with familiar surroundings, than it has to do with morality?
Our actions and personal qualities reflect our ideals in others eyes.

I have a certain perception of "Christians" that is generally very negative because of how most people who identify that way present themselves, think, and behave. This is true for the vast majority of non-Christians in opinion surveys (particularly evangelicals and fundamentalists).
If more Christians represented a positive, rational, and legitimately ethical lifestyle, then perceptions would change.

It's only natural to acquire certain perceptions, negative or positive, and create archetypes by which we perceive the world- it's how the brain works.

Vegans are often perceived as picky, finicky, hard to please, unreasonable, etc. Absolutely being unable to stand something makes you inflexible, and even more difficult for others to accommodate. It does not make vegans or veganism look good.

Of course, as you said, that kind of rigidity also hurts oneself, since tastes do change and in doing that one misses out on experiences, but the greater matter to me is one of public perception.

Personal failings are very often moral failings. By not being the best people we can be, we foster negative perceptions where they really matter, and we fall far short of what we could otherwise offer the world.
PrincessPeach

Post by PrincessPeach »

You can adjust your pallet to acquire any taste, all you have to do is eat enough of it. In a matter of no time that once nasty watercress is now tasty and delicious & more nutritious than kale!
Dream Sphere

Post by Dream Sphere »

Five off the top of my head are,

Onion
Kale
Any sort of salad dressing (I always have salads plain)
Pistachios
Mushrooms
PrincessPeach

Post by PrincessPeach »

Dream Sphere wrote:Five off the top of my head are,

Onion
Kale
Any sort of salad dressing (I always have salads plain)
Pistachios
Mushrooms
But why????!!!!
Mushrooms are a must have in a vegan diet!
Stop being so picky :!: